Thread: "Hard Drive Full" virus or worm

Exclamation "Hard Drive Full" virus or worm

All right boys and girls, I've got a big problem. About 2 weeks ago I got a nice piece of spam that had an attachment of a jpg. I didn't open it or anything like that, but within a day my 60 gigs of free hard drive space disappeared. I now have many full hard drive warnings and I can't use it for anything. (I'm using an uninfected computer now). I deleted over a gig of unused files, and my extra space disppeared within 30 minutes. When I try to search for anything, the search line blanks when I click find. If you have any ideas, it would help.

I can still access good files without corruption.

My infected computer is a Dual G5 PowerMac 1.8 GHz with 512 MB RAM, 160G HD running Mac OS X 10.3.8 (7U16).

Well, as there are no reported bugs for OS X in the wild (out on real machines in the public), virus/worm/trogan seems unlikely. So that is probably good news.

Other stuff that can eat space fast? Logs out of control, strange issues with swap space on the drive, and those nasty temp files that some apps can make. Word in Office 98 would make 1-2 Gig temp files when printing to a certain Epson inkjet with a certain driver for example. Nasty.

Don't have a magic bullet for you as I have never encountered this mystery myself, but have seen many a topic for OS X users who have had similar issues. Will post back if I see a good reference, but others around here are more familar with the details that I am.

Any particular apps that you are using that might be related?

Hang in there.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I recently started using iTunes. Could this be related?

Just looking for something else and I saw this report from a user:

samba log bloat Jeff Blakeman
    Version: 3.5.1, 8/31/2004 12:21PM PST
    I came back from vacation recently, to find my system complaining that the hard drive was full, though I only had 7 GB of data on the 20GB drive. Finder reported the same. Using OmniDiskSweeper I found 12GB worth of samba logfiles. Deleted the logs in terminal, and they came back in 5 days. Removing SharePoints from my system fixed the problem, and thus appears to be the culprit.

itunes? Maybe... hard to say from here. Checkout the app mentioned: Omnidisksweeper.

Some folks seem to be using FileBuddy to hunt for similar space hogging files and logs. Might be other apps that can assist identify the culprit. If you can ID the culprit files, you should be able to figure out the app that is creating them.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

you can use Whatsize or OmniDiskSweeper to find where the space is going.

Also, iShockX driver seems to be causing a problem.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Many are reporting this issue (on the Apple forums) and the cause most often cited is the iShock driver. Search your system for iShock and see what you find
    Damien,