Thread: G3 beige won't run OS 9.1

Default G3 beige won't run OS 9.1

My G3 beige will no longer boot into OS 9.1. It used to, but since I had it temporarily running OS X it now will only run OS 9.

I have tried zeroing all data, zapping PRAM and resetting NVRAM. It installs OS 9 fine, and seems to install the 9.1 upgrade (International English, from the Apple site) but then throws an error 11 as the extensions begin to load.

I need 9.1 - HELP!!!

Maybe an extension conflict. How about trying starting up with all extension off?

Hold down the shift key while it boots up until you see extensions off at the bottom of the startup window.

If it boots up, then something in your current extension set is not happy - if it hangs again, then you can probably rule out extension conflicts.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I've isolated the problem - there is something wrong with the ATA drive. I figure OS X did something to it, but I don't know what.

I have fitted an old SCSI drive, and installed 9 and 9.1 with no problems (standard install for both).

I am currently downloading the 9.2.1 upgrade.

Curious, but at least I'll have a working machine now.

International? over US version? If you bought Panther, Apple has a program to buy OS 9.2 for $20 by calling their 800-number.

init-nvram helps but not where this is concerned. Just booting from Jaguar CD will also build a virtual ROM to nvram for your system to better be able to run OS X.

Were you using the latest XPF and have you checked there?

I am not using International over US. My 9.0.4 CD has INT as the last part of its registration code, and International updates have always worked for me before.

What is XPF?

BF

XPF is XPostFacto and lets you install and run Panther on Beige or OldWorld machines. I find Panther preferable in all ways over Jaguar.

I also run Disk Warrior even before installing an OS. But it does sound like you have an extension conflict. I only used 9.1 and later 9.2.1 CDs (updating is not the same as a full install, there are things that aren't included in the download - not just applications and such - making for a better OS than using updaters).

In Open Firmware on Beige to reset nvram, the command is init-nvram