Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FireWire

Lightbulb FireWire

Jun. 4, 2004

LaCie FireWire
    Jim Upchurch's recent letter brings up a number of issues that we would like to address:

1. If Jim would have followed up after his original contact with the problem report last year, perhaps we would not even be talking about this today. Our support reps have some latitude in adjusting the warranty, but we don't keep call issues open for 5 months between contacts. The matter had already been archived. Jim did contact LaCie June 1, for the first time in over 5 months. We may have acted differently if the matter was a few weeks old.

When a problem is suspected within the warranty period, it is always advisable to take care of the matter then and there. We do want to make sure we take care of any warranty issues in a timely fashion. While the days of free 24/7 tech support [may be over], email is the next best thing; this may help if we are not reachable at a convenient time by phone. Many of our support questions are easily handled via email or our website.

2. As for the most recent problems, yes it is possible that a power failure could have corrupted the drive. It may be something simple that a simple reformat can take care of; or just taken to another Mac to recover the files. But since neither Apple Disc Utility, Apple System Profiler, nor Silverlining can see the drive, it is likely the drive will require repair by LaCie.

Our tech's comments about Apple Firewire may be taken out of context. Apple does implement Firewire differently across the different Mac models. Over time, different Firewire chips and different protection circuitry is used to benefit from the improvements made in Firewire interface chips as well as the PHY physical interface chips. These improvements are somewhat invisible to the user, but brief mention is made in Apple Technotes on the various product families. The obvious changes noted by Apple are the connectors, their location, and the amount of bus power available. Less visible are the driver changes to accommodate new models, or to add new capabilities.

Recent reports on the Apple Discussion Forums do make mention of a recent problem on a few G5 computers where the front panel Firewire port PCB is being replaced to correct a manufacturing problem. Similarly, the original B&W G3 Firewire implementation has capabilities different from current G4 and G5 computers. There is nothing specific that we are aware of with iMac G3 computers.

For example, not all computers with Firewire interfaces can boot from a Firewire drive.

Apple does maintain quite a database of technotes of different Mac models that sometimes explains improvements or differences for Firewire and USB interfaces. There have also been various system updates over time to improve the robustness of Apple's Firewire and USB interfaces. Also, in the several years we have provided USB and Firewire peripherals, we also have supplied firmware updates to improve our drives. Updaters are available for OS 9, OS X, and even Windows.

There are also reports of problems when our drives are used with some DV camcorders and decks. Yes, there is a compatibility issue on some Macs with some camcorders and decks. This is because these devices expect to be the only Firewire device connected. Again, technotes from Apple and Canon describe this.

The specific warnings we have published on our website have to do with the Firewire 800 bug that was illuminated with the release of Panther 10.3 last fall. LaCie and Apple immediately acknowledged the matter, and the result was a firmware update posted by LaCie within a few days, as well as an OS X 10.3.1 update soon after. All LaCie Firewire 800 drives manufactured after October 2003 already have the fixed firmware, so there is no need to document it with shipping product.

3. Are LaCie drives more susceptible to problems than other manufacturers' drives? Well I can't speak for the other manufacturers, but one reason you hear more about LaCie versus other models is that we do ship a lot of drives to the Mac community. So statistically you are going to hear about LaCie more. And as problems go, people don't fill up the discussion boards and forums with their happy experiences; instead the forums are filled with users asking questions about problems. While I can't give you exact numbers as to drives shipped per month, a simple math exercise will show that $200M in annual revenues can be construed as almost a million drives per year being sold assuming the average price was in the $200 range. We have drive products above and below this price.

There are reports of Firewire drives from other vendors that do have annoying problems:

• inability to use two drives from the same vendor on the same computer
    • inability to use the drive as a boot drive
    • no compatibility with Disc Burning, iPhoto, and iTunes
    • no ability to update bridge firmware to provide improvements or problem
      fixes
    • no support for drives larger than 128GB
    LaCie drives do not have these problems, with one exception: today, we have
    no simple way to update DVD drive mechanisms. This is frequently requested
    by users, to gain compatibility with the increasing variety of media coming
    to market. But we are working on a solution, and hope to have one soon.

As others in this thread point out, drives will eventually fail. Hopefully later rather than sooner. LaCie does strive to use the best technology so we can deliver reliable, cost effective solutions to our customers. Our failure rate is very low, and we do not see anything in our warranty returns that are cause for alarm. We still see a small number of product warranty claims where no problem is found, indicating another cause to some user problems. In some cases where the problem is more isolated, or hard to reproduce, we will take steps to look more closely, if anything to make sure there is not an inherent defect with a particular product.

4. There are steps that one can take to prevent problems from occurring:

1. keep your system clean; some third party system modifications do cause problems can cause issues with Firewire and USB peripherals
    2. don't be tempted to move Apple System files around, to delete them, or to alter them, unless you know exactly what the long term effect may be
    3. shutdown and restart, or let your system stay awake overnight to permit running of system maintenance utilities under OS X. There are certain maintenance tasks that should be run periodically. Letting your system sleep could delay these critical tasks from running.
    4. when you system is sleeping, don't disconnect peripherals, or move or jostle cables; your drives and system may not wake up correctly if connections are disturbed
    5. provide adequate ventilation around your drives; since most drives are no longer fan cooled, you'll want to be sure there is no restricted air flow around your drives
    6. carefully plug and unplug your drives to the Firewire or USB ports; be sure to unmount drives before disconnecting them
    7. make sure your disk repair utilities are compatible with the version of the OS you are using; we have heard from some users who used older versions of utilities in attempts to repair, with the consequence of making the matter worse
    8. make frequent backups to drives, and isolate those backups from your normal computer operation to keep them secure. As others have pointed out, multiple backups on multiple independent devices is recommended
    9. if you are going to frequently connect/disconnect a drive, or share with other computers, be sure to take steps to assure integrity of the cables, drives, and connectors:
    10. consider adding a hub, patch-panel, or additional Firewire or USB ports with a PCI card or PC Card, to provide a sacrificial connection. If a port on the hub, patch-panel, or PCI card goes bad, it is relatively simple and low-cost to replace it.
    11. inspect cables and connectors frequently, and replace if they look distorted; avoid kinking any cables.
    12. deliver a known, good cable with the drive, rather than relying on the client or friend to supply one
    13. Connect/disconnect by grasping the plug end; don't yank cables
    14. if you deliver a working drive to a client, and the client has trouble mounting it, don't be so quick to remount the drive back on your computer.
    15. Be sure you know that a client's computer is working correctly with other Firewire and USB peripherals
    That just touches the surface, but I hope it sheds some light on the matter. Firewire (and USB) are excellent technologies. LaCie as well as the other suppliers of storage products all strive to deliver good solutions to our customers.

There is a quite a bit of useful application information regarding LaCie drives, here on MacInTouch as well as elsewhere on the Internet and in the many computer publications. You will find the good experiences professionals have had using LaCie products.

Comments and questions are welcome; just send them to "Firewire at LaCie dot com"
    http://www.macintouch.com/panfirewire04.html#jun04
    answers relayed by other customers querying. - Mike

Mixing 1394a and b devices on FW

from FireWire Depot's Tech Support:

"If you have a 1394b port and you connect a 1394a device to the port, any device chained AFTER the 1394a device will operate at 1394a speeds so you should always place your 1394b devices ahead of any 1394a devices

if you have a 1394b port and you are using a 1394b hub (lets say a 3 port hub), and you place all your 1394b devices on one port and all your 1394a devices on another port, they will function normally

now as far as the G5 goes, yes, the firewire ports share a single internal bus

if you have a 1394b device connected to the 9 pin port on the back of the G5 and a 1394a device connected to the 6 pin port on the front of the G5, the 1394a device will NOT cause the entire bus to slow down".

FireWire Depot has released new firmware releases from both Oxford and Initio as well as a new flash utility for Mac OS 10.3.3 from Oxford.http://www.fwdepot.com/thestore/default.php

Initio has introduced 2 new firmware versions which can be used with any bridgeboard using the Initio 2430 1394b chip: (1) V2.28 Dual firmware supports Master only or Master/Slave (can be installed with Mac or Windows installer); (2) V8.06 RAID firmware supports 2- and 4- drive Span, 2- and 4- drive Stripe and 2 drive Mirror (works on both 1- and 2-IDE channel boards). This firmware can only be installed using a special Windows version of the installer.

What to do if your computer won't recognize a FireWire device
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88338

Multi-Channel RAID on the G5: Serial ATA vs FireWire 800

If you have one channel per drive, a FOUR drive striped array (RAID 0) using either FireWire 800 or Serial ATA should produce sustained READ and WRITE speeds approaching 200MB/s. Many digital video editing labs are trying to capture HDTV format uncompressed. Depending on the frame rate and resolution, you need write speeds of at least 120MB/s and as high as 180MB/s.

Based on the theoretical speed of FW800 and SATA, using the fastest available drives and multiple channels should produce the desired performance at a fraction of the cost.
    Barefeats Head over to read the article.

clarify g5 firewire bus issues

Okay, here's some more information from FireWire Depot's Tech Support:

"If you have a 1394b port and you connect a 1394a device to the port, any device chained AFTER the 1394a device will operate at 1394a speeds so you should always place your 1394b devices ahead of any 1394a devices

if you have a 1394b port and you are using a 1394b hub (lets say a 3 port hub), and you place all your 1394b devices on one port and all your 1394a devices on another port, they will function normally

now as far as the G5 goes, yes, the firewire ports share a single internal bus

if you have a 1394b device connected to the 9 pin port on the back of the G5 and a 1394a device connected to the 6 pin port on the front of the G5, the 1394a device will NOT cause the entire bus to slow down".
    ---------------------

Search for iogear in the recent threads, and you will find confirmation that these drives cannot be made bootable. This has been confirmed by iogear tech support people; their

Default Granite Digital FW 400 Enclosure Woes

OK. So a little less than a year ago, I purchased the Granite Digital FW 400 external PATA hard drive enclosure...the big clear cheesey looking one.

Upon receiving it, I noticed the fans were incredibly loud, and I think it was Rick (or one of the MacGurus) who advised me on the Apple forums that it may be a defect or something. At the time, however, I didn't really want to have to deal with their tech support/RMA/wasting lots of my time over some stupid fan. So, I took one out and lived with the fairly loud noise emitting from the sinlge fan.

So everything was fine, it did what it was supposed to do: back up my boot drive on one partition and act as an "extra crap" bin where I threw uneeded items at the time on the other partition. (It is a 200GB Seagate) I used silverkeeper to maintain a complete mirror backup on the backup partition.

Everything was fine, until, I believe, Tiger came along. A bit cautious at first, I left the 10.3.9 version of my boot drive on the external Seagate, just incase Tiger really messed stuff up... Well, most everything was fine. So, when I tried to run a backup with Silverkeeper, it kept on jammed up and such (I don't remember exactly what happened, but I do know that Silverkeeper did NOT want to back up to the drive) So, in a panic to get my drive backed up (because at this time I heard the clickings of what I thought to be a drive failure) to a 300GB Seagate SATA internal drive. Since then, I have tried to copy files and such to and from the external drive, with many problems. The spinning beach ball of death is a common occurance when attempting file transfers. I then relaunch the finder, only to find that my desktop icons ONLY return once I yank the FW cable to the ext drive, and then the message about "unsafely" removing ext device etc etc...

As of now the enclosure is just one big expensive paperweight taking up space on my desk, and before I go dismantling my internal drives and carriages in order to test another drive in the enclosure, I was just wondering if there is a perhaps solution to the problem.

So, let me make sense of my ramblings. Is it (a) a case defect, or incompatibilty with Tiger (b) a drive defect (and only having one fan probably contributed to this, if it is infact a drive problem) or (c) just my impatience to wait for the relatively slow data transfer of FW 400?

Any input/thoughts/answers are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bret

Lightbulb

Bret,

I use Granite FW400, have to say it is whisper quiet, it was bare case and I added my own drive (Hitachi 7K250 160GB 8MB cache). No problem - ever - except when I tried using a newer Sonnet Tango2 instead of the original Tango, or the native FW ports on MDD.

As long as you practice good habits with connecting, disconnecting, unmounting - it works. FW is very "unforgiving" of hard restarts.

Are you sure that SilverKeeper is Tiger/FireWire compatible?

There are a number of reports of problems with Spotlight and FW drive conflicts. Turning off Spotlight can help. Some programs now properly deal with metadata and the indexes Spotlight uses (you don't usually want to copy those during a backup).

What Mac are you using?
    Is it on native FW ports?
    FW PCI controller?
    Granite FireVue cable?

Fans are there to protect the drive from heat by providing air flow over and around drives. Many people actually add small drive bay coolers, usually for hotter drives or multi-drive enclosures. If you want noise, the MDD has a louder hum, or try even a small single 10K SCSI drive case.
    FireVue 1394-IDE Bridge LUN0:

Manufacturer: Granite Digital
    Model: 0x0
    GUID: 0x4DA00E00172EB
    Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
    Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
    Sub-units:
    FireVue 1394-IDE Bridge LUN0 Unit:
    Unit Software Version: 0x10483
    Unit Spec ID: 0x609E
    Firmware Revision: 0x29
    Product Revision Level:
    Sub-units:
    Purchased in March 2004, about the same time frame.

Believe me, I don't want noise, and have plenty of it when my MDD goes into airplane turbine/leafblower mode. ;-D

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the latest version of SilverKeeper which I believe somewhere LaCie said is Tiger compatible. (It works with an internal drive, so it must be to some extent) It was working fine with the enclosure before though, so I don't think it is the software, as I have had problems with the HD itself, not just silverkeeper.

I have the enclosure hooked up to a FW card, which, now that I think about it may be the problem, but again, it's been working fine before. (although I should prob replace it with a "certified" Mac compat. card) The dinky 3 ft granite digital FW cable is too short to reach the built in FW ports (LOL) so it's on the card.

I think there is def something wrong with the fans, because you are the 3rd person that has confirmed their enclosure is "Whisper quiet." Mine can be audibly heard over my MDD G4. I have a dual 867Mhz with the following in the tower: 1.75 Gbytes of RAM, the 1.5 additional being from Crucial, 3 seagate HDs (2 SATA, one ATA/66) and IBM boot drive on ATA/100, a seritek SATA card, and that cheapo FW card.

Bret

Lightbulb

Tiger can change/add/resolve lots of things

If you are using a generic FW card, that would be my first suspect. thanks to problems with the Sonnet card, I'm looking at Adaptec USB2 only and a separate Adaptec FW card maybe.

"dinky" though, is not a word I would use for FireVue Isolator cables

I did pick up some longer ones (not cheap) that I sometimes use - and leave the FW drive on a shelf.

The FireVue case is so quiet I don't realize it is even on - until I turn off the MDD. I have two small SCSI Burlys that sound like jet engines with loud 80mm fans - now those should definitely be replaced with high CFM quiet fans! Always an option.

OK, they aren't dinky, just cheap for including a 3ft cable. The LED is nice.... it illuminates most of the ports so I can see what I'm doing when plugging in stuff.

Anywho, do you think I should contact them about the fan noise? Would they be willing to send a replacement enclosure, or at least replacement fans?

I will be picking up a FW card today, to replace the current, and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks again for your help,
    Bret

Lightbulb

Those are sturdy cables that also help to protect the FW ports. FireVue or Isolator 3' cables go for $29. Look at how Apple no longer even includes FW cable on iPods now.

Fans are a 'user upgrade' - people change out fans on their G4s all the time.

There are dozens of sites that sell Pabst, SilentX, Verax and other makes and models of fans. Or try your luck with another case. If you don't like plastic, look for aluminum.

Default fans

I cannot speak to the drive issues you are experiencing, but can to the fan noise, I have the same Granite type of unit and I too experience the leaf blower effect.

I called them and they sent me a replacement fan no charge, I have yet to install it though, getting ready to.

russ

Default Give them a chance to help you.

I would recommend calling tech support at Granite Digital. I have dealt with them on two issues in the last few months and found their guy (Kenny, I think) to be very responsive and pleaseant to deal with. They stood behind their product.

Among other things of theirs, I have a (3 1/2") Firevue 800 case similar to yours and the fans on it are not what I would call noisy. They appear to be a standard size fan and so you can take one of them to the local store and look for one that will fit into the same space.

The 5 1/4" case of theirs that I have is not noisy until the DVD spins up initially, but that is not the result of the case fans.

I have considered taking one of my fans shopping not because it is noisy, but to see if there was a higher output fan available, but was waiting for the warranty to expire before I did anything they might frown upon.

Lightbulb G5 FireWire 400/800

Notes from MacIntouch on FireWire performace:
    FireWire 800 performance on a G5

The Power Mac G5's read speeds differ from its write speeds during data transfers through FireWire 800. This is an issue with the G5 and not FireWire 800 or WiebeTech products.

G5 and daisy-chained FireWire 400 devices

The G5 has a limitation of the Firewire 800 Bus that prevents it from working with more than two Firewire 400 devices at once. We discovered that if we connect the Quad BayDock with all four bridges daisy-chained together, two bridges will disappear from the desktop under heavy use. We find this to be a problem with FireWire 800 (1394b) in general and not just the G5.

Using older FireWire 400 DriveDocks on the G5

The G5 is using FireWire 800 components only. Its two six-pin (400) connectors are routed through the 800 Bus. The G5 does not have true FireWire 400. This has caused problems with some (not all) DriveDocks built for FireWire 400 only.

Using FW400 devices on a FW800 host

We have found that no more than two FireWire 400 devices should be daisy-chained together and run on a single Firewire 800 Bus (channel).

While all devices may appear on the desktop initially, as the load of the data transfer increases, devices will start unmounting and dissappearing from the desktop.

This was first discovered when daisy-chaining all four Bays of a Quad BayDOCK 400 to a single port on a Mac G5. The maximum number of Bays supported was two. The FireWire 800 Quad BayDOCK performed just fine with all four Bays daisy chained together.

If a PCI FW 800 card was installed in the G5 and two Bays were daisy chained to to the native port and two Bays were connected to the PCI card, everything worked as expected.
    http://www.wiebetech.com/webtech.php
    Last edited by TZ; 08-16-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Lightbulb Seagate FireWire

Seagate 200-500GB FireWire cases.

Seagate External FireWire

Thumbs down Tiger and FW400

If you are running Tiger 10.4.2, and using FW400, you may have trouble with some drives, regardless of FireWire case/bridge or firmware if the drive is > 128GB. This does affect Initio firmware used by Granite Digital and in early FireVue cases.

Probably safest with Oxford 911. The problem doesn't affect FW800 (1394b) so Oxford 922 and maybe 912 are okay.

Mac OS X is able to read and write files to and from almost all kinds of PC storage media, including CD-R/CD-RW, DVD, floppies and hard disk drives, as well as other types of external media, such as Syquest, Jaz and Zip cartridges. Connecting peripherals is a breeze — the widespread adoption of FireWire and USB has made cross-platform plug-and-play a reality for most external devices — from hard disk drives to DV cameras and PDAs.

Although Macs are particularly suited to modern digital media, such as CDs, CD-Rs and DVDs, they can also read and write files to and from almost every type of PC storage media, including diskettes, Zip drives and hard disk drives. All that is needed is for them to be formatted to FAT or FAT 32 standard. Windows, on the other hand, does not recognize media formatted by Macs; however, a number of utilities compensate for this, such as Here & Now, MacDrive 2000 and MacOpener. Mac OS X, like current versions of Windows, supports 255-character filenames. This means that, for example, the contents of a CD saved on a Windows XP system will display volume name and filenames identically in Mac OS X.
    Exchanging CD-Rs and DVD-Rs

CD-ROMs simplify file exchange between Macs and PCs because they use the standard ISO 9660 format, which is compatible with a number of file systems. A CD burned on a Windows XP system uses ISO 9660 format by default (this format uses the CDFS file system) and can be recognized by Mac OS X.

The DVD standard file format is called Universal Disk Format (UDF), which is available on both Mac and PC. DVD-Rs burned using UDF on a Mac are fully compatible with PCs that can read UDF formatted disks.
    Sharing USB devices

Mac OS X has built-in support for most USB products. With USB devices such as Zip drives, hard disk drives, CD-R/Ws or PDAs, usually all you have to do is connect the device to the Macintosh and the Mac automatically recognizes it.

Sharing FireWire Devices

Mac OS X can handle all kinds of IEEE 1394-compliant devices — from Apple’s iPod to hard disk drives, DV cameras, scanners and many other external peripherals.

For the majority of external devices, no driver installation is required; however, for hard disks, bear in mind that Mac OS X cannot open NTFS formatted disks, so please use the FAT PC format instead.

http://www.apple.com/business/mac_pc/peripherals.html
    Last edited by TZ; 09-06-2005 at 10:24 AM.

Lightbulb FireWire and 10.4.3

More on FireWire problems

A surprisingly high number of users are corroborating yesterday's initial coverage of an inability mount FireWire drives or see other FireWire devices after the update to Mac OS X 10.4.3. The issue seems model-indiscriminate.

Generally, the drives can be seen if users boot from an alternative startup volume that is not running Mac OS X 10.4.3, or revert to an earlier version of Mac OS X.

Lightbulb Installing OS X on MacIntel FW drives

Mac Core Duo (Late 2006): Problems with installing Intel Mac OS X on FireWire drives

Problems with installing Intel Mac OS X on FireWire drives

As we previously noted, there is no universal binary version of Mac OS X. We've also noted that Apple has indicated that FireWire booting is a capability of Intel-based Macs.

We've now received reports indicating that the Mac OS X DVD that ships with the Intel-based iMac (Late 2006) exhibits issues installing on some FireWire drives -- an obvious requisite for FireWire booting capabilities.

Users have reported that they are presented with a message indicating that Mac OS X cannot be installed on the volume -- no matter which disk formatting method (Mac OS Extended, etc.) they use to erase the drive.

We're not sure if this problem is relegated to FireWire drives with specific chipsets, or outdated firmware (make sure to check your manufacturers' Web sites for potential new releases) based on the limited reports.

Note that drives formatted under Intel OS X can't boot PPC and vise-versa.
    Yes, but first they must be reformatted in a new partition format specific to Intel Macs, called GUID Partition Table (GPT). This is an option you can select in the Intel Macs' Disk Utility.

Ę Disks using the Apple Partition Map (APM) partition scheme could be read, but not booted from, on Intel Macs. Similarly, drives reformatted to use GPT won't boot on PPC Macs, and will only be readable on Macs running Tiger.

I wonder if UDF is an option for sharing between Windows, MacIntel and PowerPC.

Lightbulb Swapping drives in LaCie/Maxtor case

Typically getting a newer case with current Firewire chipsets will let you use Disk Utility to format the drive to the actual capacity.

... cases which previously housed large capacity drives are limited to 128 GB when a different drive is placed inside -- a possible result of conflicting FireWire chipsets.

"Just this week I installed a new Seagate 250Gb in an old Maxtor firewire enclosure. Since the original drive was a 250Gb, I expected no problem. I ended up with the same results as Sherman Heinig: a 128Gb drive on any platform (Mac, Win, Linux). I haven't yet found the proper utility to restore the drive to 250Gb capacity."

"I had a LaCie 80GB Firewire drive that I put a 200GB drive in, however the drive would only format to 128GB just like your initial report. I thought that it was just something that LaCie intentionally made that way so that you would have to actually buy a new enclosure and drive to upgrade capacity. I would have thought the Firewire interface would see whatever capacity the drive was."

Lightbulb AAXEON FW800 PCIe

The Aaxeon's FireWire 800 sustained and random READ speeds were good but the sustained and random WRITE speeds were surprisingly low (24MB/s) compared to built-in FireWire 800 (50MB/s).

Though we were disappointed with the performance of Aaxeon's FireWire 800 host adapter, it's technically not their fault. The Texas Instruments has admitted that their bridge chip is to blame and has promised a fix in the next release of the chip -- whenever that will be.

SIIG FireWire card not working MacFixIt reader Carl reports some issues with SIIG PCI Express FireWire expansion cards.

"I have two PCI Express firewire cards in my dual-core G5. One is by Aaxeon, and it works fine. The SIIG NN-E38012-S1 card doesn't work (e.g., devices on the ports don't work, system_profiler hangs)."

http://www.barefeats.com/hard66.html
    http://aaxeon.com/products/pciexpresscards.aspx
    Last edited by TZ; 02-24-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Lightbulb Firewire Port Failures

“FireWire Port Failures in Host Computers and Peripheral Devices”

a White Paper

by James Wiebe, CEO
    WiebeTech LLC
    jameswiebe@wiebetech.com
    http://www.wiebetech.com
    © 2003 All Rights Reserved

This paper may be reproduced, but only in its entirety, and only if credit is given to the author and linkage provided to the WiebeTech website.

http://www.wiebetech.com/pressreleas...rtFailures.htm

From the SoftRAID manual:

Fire hubs and disk drives. FireWire hubs are notorious for introducing errors and instability onto the bus.

Make sure that all of your consumer electronic devices (iSight, cameras, scanners) are connected to a separate FW bus. These devices are not built to the same standards as storage devices and known for introducing errors onto a FW bus.

Cables. While most cables work fine with a single device, many cables will introduce errors when 2 or more disks are connected to the bus.

http://www.softraid.com
    http://www.softraid.com/demo.html - manual and demo
    Last edited by TZ; 08-05-2006 at 07:55 AM.

Lightbulb USB and Firewire Quick Assist

Apple has this article, "Quick Assist" on USB & FireWire
    Which devices will work with my Mac?
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303598

Lightbulb

Device driver + IOMemoryDescriptor+ Memory Mgmt
    Posted: Aug 5, 2005 9:43 PM in response to: Carson Jones

As to a DART entry exception leading up to a critical bus error (KP), here are technical documents that may help you to understand a possible scenario.

Issues With 64-Bit Architectures
    PCI Address Translation and IOMemoryDescriptor changes
    Block Diagram and Buses

Quoted from Apple glossary:

Direct Memory Access (DMA)
    A technique for transferring data in or out of memory without using the processor. DMA devices are typically programmed using physical addresses.

exception
    A special condition inside the microprocessor that causes it to halt processing application execution and start executing an exception handler. Exception have a variety of causes, but the ones pertinent to VM (Virtual Memory) are interrupts, privilege violation exceptions and bus error exceptions. All exceptions cause the processor (the emulated 680x0 processor on PowerPC) to switch to supervisor mode.

Internal PCI Bus for Power Mac G5
    An internal 33 MHz, 64-bit PCI bus connects the K2 I/O controller to the boot ROM, the AirPort Extreme Card slot, and the USB controller. The U3H IC used in the Power Mac G5 computer supports the PCI write combining feature. This feature allows sequential write transactions involving the Memory Write or Memory Write and Invalidate commands to be combined into a single PCI transaction. For memory write transactions to be combined, they must be sequential, ascending, and non-overlapping PCI addresses. Placing an eieio or sync command between the write commands prevents any write combining.