Thread: An OS X equivalent to Drive Fitness Test?

Default An OS X equivalent to Drive Fitness Test?

I've got a one year old IDE HD in a FW case that I had powered off for a few weeks, then I went to use it today and the drive does not spin up at all, doesn't try, doesn't do anything. The case is ruled out b/c another drive works fine in it. Disk Utility, Disk Warrior don't see anything (I guess that's obvious because it isn't even spinning up). So I'm wondering if there is some other OSX utility out there that can somehow 'inspect' this drive even though it isn't on, or some way to verify that it is indeed dead. The manufacturer (Hitachi) requires/suggests (not sure which) that you run a util called Drive Fitness Test to verify failure before getting an RMA, but this is a Windows/Linux only app. Is there a something similar for OS X, or any troubleshooting technique I can employ to see what's happening?

thanks..

bender

Hello Bender,

AFAIK all testing Apps from drive manufacturers are Win/Linux only

You can connect the 4-pin power plug only to the drive, if it spins up, it is something wrong with the jumper setting or the ATA connector.

But if it was working before I think it could be gone.

What drive model is it?

Regards

Nicolas

Some of the commercial apps, e.g. Drive 10 and TechToolPro, have surface scanning as well as S.M.A.R.T. diagnosis. Disk Warrior will check the SMART stuff as well.

Actually Apple's Disk Utility will show a S.M.A.R.T. reading: verified. I've never had a HD fail when these SMART saavy tools were available. So i don't know if what DU says if the HD is a goner.

I've had my fair share of RMAs with IBM/Hitachi. Running Disk Fitness Test is recommended, it's not required. Mine all went down with the scratch of death, so I always put down bad blocks.

I had access to a Windows box when I received a DOA warranty replacement from Hitachi. DFT reported physical damage, excessive shock. Yep, I bet that HD got some rough treatment during its voyage from the Far East. DFT is took less than a minute to give me that data -- awesome. Just wish we had it on the Mac.

Thanks for the responses. I tried turning it on with power only, still no dice. That was a good suggestion, though. The problem with Disk Warrior, TTP4, and Drive Utility is that they don't even find this drive when they do their initial scan. They dont know it exists, so I guess that makes a SMART diagnosis (or any other for that matter) out of the question?

The drive is a gxp180 120GB, Feb03.

I really appreciate the help.

bender

Hi Eric,

on the two FW cases (with Oxford bridges) I have,
    S.M.A.R.T. is not supported, just checked that.
    No "S.M.A.R.T.-status: verified" line, like on the internal ATA drives.

Maybe the Oxford bridge in the enclosure is the culprit?

Regards

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for looking that up.

I was thinking the enclosure was not the problem because of the following tests:

1) different drive (same model, same jumper settings) works in the enclosure.
    2) drive also fails to spin in second enclosure for which other drives work fine.

also, the drive gets really hot a couple minutes after the enclosure is turned on even though it doesn't spin. I have no idea what that tells us, though.

Hello Bender,

had that with a IC35L080 AVVA07-0 (GXP75 DeathStar ), the drive failed after 8 months it was within warranty so got an replacement.

Just check for a replacement too.

regards

Nicolas