Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Blue&White Vs. Beige

Default I've got a B&W rev 1

Can't recommend the Daystar XLR8 G4 upgrade highly enuf! I also maxed it out with Gurus Ram and run a Sonnet ata133 host card feeding a 120 G Seagate w 8MB cache...I mostly use it for the Web email and Word and run 9.2.2....works great
    Tom Babb

TZ, The B&W G4-500 you mention, was it stock or upgraded?

Oh, and wpould any of you recommend overclocking the B&W a bit?

Hello hebjam,

had some OCed for those wanting it:

G3 300 (Apple) stable @350MHz Cache @150 when it was booting
    G3 350 (Apple) stable @400MHz Cache @200
    G3 400 (Apple) stable @450MHz Cache @225
    G3 450 (Formac) stable @500MHz Cache @200 has the worst heatsink ever made IMHO
    G3 400 (Apple) stable @500MHz Cache @200

Some of my friends had their Beige G3's OCed to 300MHz for the first iMovie wich requires a 300MHz CPU.
    Most CPU's could be OCed by 10% or 15%, some few ZIFs more (best stable OCed was a 266 running 400MHz but only one and a half year then the cache was dead ), it depends on each CPU. It also depends on the cache IC's.

Regards

Nicolas

Thanks Nicolas, but i meant the actual G3 jumpers. Ever changed those?

Hello Hebjam,

if you mean the jumpers on the B&W LogicBoard, yes for sure.

Those Apple/Formac ZIFs don't have any jumpers.
    The OCing was made by changing the LB jumper block wich voids warranty

Take a look

Regards

Nicolas

Thumbs up

Thanks Nicolas

About the logic board tweaks - I forgot .. I just don't now how well it works. - Randy

Hi Randy,

works well, but, if Hebjam wants to change Bus speeds on the B&W..... I would not do that:

BUS...........PCI speed in MHz
    66.7..........33.3 The only fully stable setting instead of the 100MHz
    100.0........33.3 Original Apple setting Best I thing
    116.3........38.8 A friend got his UL2D toasted by this setting!!! That could kill some PCI cards!!!
    120.0........30.0 That setting would give you 4 to 6% not worth toasting the MPC bridge.

Regards

Nicolas

Am i right in assuming the rev1 B&W wont be a problem if i use a scsi card and dont use firwire?

Hello Hebjam,

right you are.

Using a FW card should solve the FW issue

And using a SCSI or ATA/SATA card should solve the Rev1 ATA controler issue.

I never used an SATA card in the B&W maybe Randy or TZ have an answer how it works.

Best regards

Nicolas

Whats the scoop on the B&W being louder than the beige? I do pro audio so noise is not good.

Well, got the B&W today! I noticed there arent many drive holders in there.
    I have two drives plus the DVD. What should I do.
    I'm going to order the G4-600 from Gurus tonite...

I've got both a B&W and a Beige. The power supply fan is right at the back in the B&W, so it it may seem louder. I really doesn't seem louder to me overall. But, if that turns out to be a problem, then you can change the PS fan out for one that suits your needs. Not a real big deal.

http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/mainindex.asp

My unit is runing a Firmtek SATA card I got from the Gurus. Also a 160 Segate SATA and a 40 Gig Max that I took out of a DA. Real swift. You've got room for four drives if you need them, but that could raise the temp in there a bit.

The DVD is easy to change out. With the door open look around back of the upper left hand side of the case. There will be two little plastic tabs. Push those towards the inside of the case and that will allow the faceplate on the front of the unit to open. You'll then see the little screws that are holding in a metal unit that has the Opti drive and the Iolta drive. Once these two screws are out the whole unit slides foreward. IDE cable out then the power plugs at the back which can be a bit resistant.

I don't know what operating system you plan to install, but you'll need to have your DVD drive in before that or DVD player may not be installed. I assume it's a supported drive.

One final thought - although it doesn't seem to be the shortest means to the end, it turns out to be better to do an upgrade one thing at a time. Boot up and see if there are problems. If you make several changes all at once in the interest of time, and the unit dosen't work after that, you'll spend a lot more time trying to figure out which of the things you changed caused the problem.

Yes I noticed all the drives mount on the bottom.
    Hey, what is the lever you can pull out (on the back panel)? Is it to lock the door?
    I just tried installing 10.2 and all seemed well but all i get is the apple screen then a bunch of crap on the screen and it freezes.

Just for fun though as I plan to use OS9.2.2 for awhile ...

Yeah it's a lever to lock the side panel. Somebody's notion of security.

10.2 (as well as 10.3) should go on without problems. Get it booting before you start changing things out. Lest you enter the never-never land.
    Last edited by unclemac; 02-23-2005 at 10:44 PM. Reason: typo

Strange,
    I noticed the video card was not in the first(66mhz) slot so tried to move it and... no go! The little slot hole doesnt match the 66mhz slot!
    Its an ATI 3D RagePro/Xcaim VR Pro. Is this not the original card?

Actually the chip says 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X / Xclaim VR Pro
    AGP? Whats that doing here? Is it better?

It also has tv out, s vid in.
    And a slot at the back ( for memory??)

Geeze, sounds like maybe you haved a flashed AGP PC card? Even if the card is a bit faster, as your BW is PCI only, don't expect any improvements. Actually a tad slower because it is not using the 66 slot...but sounds like you were going that direction anyway to free up the 66 slot for a drive controller?

I had a Seristek SATA in my BW rev1 too, and it was fast and rock solid. Really nice. All BWs have room for 3 HDs on the bottom slots, and the rev2s add room for a fourth drive back stacking two in hte rear-most sled.

Wizard: You should be able to edit, but only for about 15 minutes after you post, then it is locked for all eternity. I took the liberty, hope you don't mind...
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Well.... I dont see how anyone can put a card in the small PCI slot!
    It seems no card I have can fit. The little blocker peice is close to the back of the slot instead of the front like the other three. I would actually have to reverse the cards to get one in there.
    Is this what you do?