Thread: Dual G4 boot up problem

Default Dual G4 boot up problem

Hi

I have a mirror door dual 1.25 G4 running OS 10.3.7. I've just started having a problem with the machine during boot up. It gets to a point and displays the message "waiting for local disks" It can take as long as 2 or 3 minutes at that point but it still boots up and afterwards seems function fine. Any thoughts on what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Part two of problem

Ok Here's probably part of the problem I have 2 extra internal drives partitioned into 4 partitions each. One drive the 3rd and 4th partitions were not mounted after start up. i was able to re-mount one of the partitions but not the other. i have some very important audio files on this drive. How did these partitons become "unmounted" how can i re-mount them?

Thanks again

Sounds like the file system structures might be damaged on that drive. If you don't already have a copy of Disk Warrior and Drive10 or TechTool Pro 4, GET ONE OF EACH ASAP!

Thanks for the info. I dont have disk warrior but i was able to copy my audio files to another drive

Can you boot to any CD at all? Do you have a both a CD for OS 9 and X versions?

Is there still "data" you need? Best thing to do now is "if" you get/got all your data is start over. Clean this drive entirely - it's old and overtime you slowly fill drives with small "data files" written to and erased over and over on top of each other...

A good drive utility is a helper and money saver .. but you might need one of the other 2 or so on that rare occasion - most prefer DiskWarrior . I keep my computer really clean **I am only user - that really helps** I keep an older DW and new TTP, Drive 10.

Let's try and get your data...

Randy

Msunn

Surprised no one tossed these thoughts out....

Your data needs to be backed up you should not lose any by either of these methods but you never know.. if everything is all backed-uped then try this...

Zapping the PRAM.
    On Startup hold the (command + option + P + R) keys. Hold them until you hear the first startup "bong/chime" and about 2-3 more quieter "bongs or chimes".

Then if nothing....
    Open Firmware reset.
    This can't hurt a thing - might luck out and fix something... Apple KB info..
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram
    Hit Return
    set-defaults
    Hit Return
    reset-all
    Hit Return

Randy

You might also try... get back to a "basic system" - just to get things going - but pull any extra hardware you can. Keep just the startup drive if possible. You can leave the drives in place but pull cables and I'd pull PCI cards. Be gentle but firm with things...

Thanks for the replies!
    I did get the data transferred over and am usually good about having back-ups, just a little careless on this particular project.
    I re-formatted the supect disk, but i'm still have a long wait time during start up with the message .....waiting for local disks.
    I'll try some of the other suggestions.

Thanks