Thread: OS X permissions and cron

Default OS X permissions and cron

I have a new imac G5 1.8 GHz, 1 GB memory, superdrive, OS X.3.6, (reinstalled from 3.7). My question is the order of permissions repair and macjanitor duties also prebinding update. Which would go first and do you reboot after each or just keep on going after any of these. I guess what I need to know is what do you do after each of these clean-ups. No problems yet on my new mac except the regular permissions. In case I have to use any of these tools is why I'm asking. Thanks so much and I've always had good responses from Macgurus.
    posecap

Panther is pretty good. Seeing you dropped down to X.6 I was going to say that after that last security update, to rerun the combined update for 10.3.7.

Repair permissions before update/installs, and again after the reboot. Then forget about it until the next time you add or install anything.

MacJanitor is my tool of choice that gets run each AM at 6AM or so.

Backup, clone the system, burn some CD and DVDs. Use BootCD to create an emergency CD system. It is when cloning or moving files around that ownership and permissions can get into trouble.

Default thanks

Hey TZ thanks a lot for that info and i will change my order of operations. i used to wait till i installed bunch of stuff before i repaired perms. i ran macjanitor probably once a month but id have my mac on sleep. does it do the cron duties in sleep? i dont think so. anyhow thanks a lot again.
    posecap

How about just sleeping the monitor? Then the cron issue goes away...

6AM TZ? I thought it was 3AM... Not that it matters.

Panther is indeed pretty good. Still repairing permissions on a regular basis (old 10.2 habits die hard), but I can say that there is very rarely anything to repair. This OS just keeps getting better.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

cron = 3 AM

MacJanitor only runs when you choose to manually launch it. *I* sleep and so does my system (hopefully) so not even a mouse was awake.