Thread: G4 has lost hard drive

Default G4 has lost hard drive

Hi All!
    I am obviously in over my head! I have used a mac at work (G3 with nubus at recording studio) but it is all set up and I just have to work the programs. I basically know nothing about macintosh, but we are trying to replace older equipment at work I was looking for a deal on a newer and faster model. So, very recently purchased two g4 dual 533 macs from a university. They wiped the drives, and I am trying to install 10.2 os on one of them.
    I partitioned the drive in two and I got the first install disk loaded, but on the 2nd install disk something happened and the screen went black. When I moved the mouse the screen lit up again but it was all greyed out. I let it sit like that for awhile but it seemed stuck and so I ended up shutting it off. When I went to restart there were problems. If I touch nothing on the keyboard I get a grey screen. Then I tried holding down "c", thinking that I would just try to reinstall the os but when I get to the disk utility it sees no hard drive. I also tried starting the machine pressing "option" and I get a screen with the half circle arrow and another arrow on the other side pointing right. There are no drives showing from which to choose.
    I have been reading your forum, reading at apple, and have tried resetting pram and nvram and this has not helped. I tried to get to the command line in single user mode and cannot get there. I can get to the verbose (whatever that is) and at the very end it says that something should be reading 0 instead of 2. I have no idea whether this is important or not (!)
    Should I try to somehow wipe the drive and start over? If I do have to wipe the drive, how do I do it?? Or is something else wrong? Please help.
    Thanks, BJ

Welcome to Guru's bjbear

Should I try to somehow wipe the drive and start over? If I do have to wipe the drive, how do I do it?? Or is something else wrong?
    I have seen this problem but have not kept up as to if it is the same problem over and over.

I would boot again from the CD installer holding the "c" key on restart and then erase/partition again using Disk Utility from the file menu. Install the OS 9 drivers.

How large of partition did you create for OS X?

Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 02-01-2005 at 06:08 PM.

I just reread your posting... looks like you had tried my first suggestion.

What kind of CD's are you trying to boot with? Retail or did these come with the DA G4/533 when purchased? If you even know.

Randy

Hi; I made one partition/two parts. The drive is a 40g IBM that came with the machine (it says apple on it).
    As for the CDs they didn't come with this Mac, I bought them seperatedly. I don't think they are retail--they say "not for resale", but they look authentic and have the big X and say install disk 1 and 2. I think it was loading properly until everything went black. Not sure what happened there.
    thanks for replying.

PS: thanks for the welcome, lots to learn, looks like good advice and will be checking out the store soon, hopefully

Lightbulb

Hi,

Jaguar is not worth the trouble and does do things like that. It may be that the OEM disks were not for your machine (it should say for what Mac it is intended though).

Memory can always a problem, but I think it is just Jaguar "doing its thing."

Older ATA drives are trouble sometimes and I like to zero a drive before beginning. If it is an IBM 75GXP... another upgrade that would help. Today's drives are about 2x faster and better. use it for backup or emergency.

There are some things do-able but some are a 'catch-22' of sorts for once you have OS X up and running.

Installing Panther on Beige G3 is very thorough, doesn't apply in all respects, but shows what people have to do in the worst of circumstances.

With Jaguar, do a basic install, but skip any extras and do those later. You will want to download about 200-300MB of updates. For my money, get Panther and go from there. You'll be happy, and while Jaguar almost made it, 10.3 seems more polished, finished, better written, and now that it is awaiting 10.3.8, best time to install.

Thank you for the heads up, I will be checking this out. (maybe I should just install 9.2, but I was reading that 10x uses the dual processors more efficiently, which is why I was installing it).
    The drive is IBM model #1C35L040AVER07-0. It is 40g and says apple firmware 2001 on it.
    In the meantime I cannot do anything as the hard drive is no longer seen, it isn't just grayed out--it never shows up. When I start the computer up it just shows a grey screen, after awhile it will show the question mark. If I hold down the "c" key it starts the installation from cd but I cannot reformat or continue the installation as there is no drive to install it to. I have no clue what to do to get my drive reformatted--any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Lightbulb

You might want to clear nvram and pram. Even try formatting with Drive Setup in OS 9.2. Strongly recommend Disk Warrior be available.

Done right, OS X works. But drives need to be jumpered properly.

It sounds like the disk drive has a damaged directory at the least which can happen.

the reason I said skip 10.2 - it was still not quite complete, not beta perhaps, and with 10.2.8 was close and improved quite a bit, but not without bugs or flaws either.

When you get done, you can learn a lot about systems you didn't realize were important!

bjbear

I might be reading what your saying wrong but.... read this...

You "can or can not - boot up" by holding the "c" key with CD Installer Disk 1?

If YES - DON'T start the installation process then.

First from the file menu go down to "Disk Utility"
    Find the "erase tab" is your HD there on the left in a list? or grayed? if there erase it if not...

Try another drive formating tool. If you can get anything on the drive - yes even OS 9, Then we can "do more

This might be what you had tried... - Randy

I have done nvram and pram but I will try them again.
    I can boot up by holding the "c" key and it will show the "start installation" box. When I go into the disk utility there is no hard drive to erase.
    I had ordered a 9.2 install disk, but am still waiting for it........sounds like that will be my best bet.
    If I removed the drive and wiped it using a pc utility would I be able to put it back in the mac and reformat it using the disk utility then? Or would I totally screw the drive so that it would never work in a mac again?
    In the meantime, thanks guys for your help.

If you buy Panther, you can later call Apple and fill out a form and get OS 9.2 CD for $20.

There are tricks on how to but require Disk Warrior usually. Sometimes putting a drive in a FW case will work too.

I think my best bet is to wait for the 9.2 discs to show up. I am also going to acquire a copy of disk warrior. I am also thinking maybe it would be better not even to install os X at all, just to keep the 9.2. That may run all our programs and be all we need. I had just read that osX utilized the dual processors better. I guess we will see how it all goes.......
    Thanks for all your your replies, I did appreciate them.

bjbear

I would make 2 partitions OS X and OS 9.x and don't run "classic" use either 9 or X switching back and forth.

You will want a OS X system. - Randy

Ok