Thread: Upgraded 7600 boot up freezes

Confused Upgraded 7600 boot up freezes

I have recently started experiencing system hangs in the last stages of boot up, after the parade of extension icons at the bottom of the screen, but just before the disk icons start appearing on the desktop.

After spending a lot of time disabling extensions, I think the freezes might be due to the two extensions for my XLR8 point & scroll mouse (which I have been using without hassle for years). I donít know why it has suddenly started doing this.

Has anyone had similar difficulties? I have felt like abandoning the machine, through sheer frustration, but I have spent a fair bit of money on upgrades, and it is great once it has booted. The XLR8 extensions are both v1.2.0.

System is Ė 7600, 256MB (OWC matched pair), Sonnet G3/400/1MB CPU, Belkin USB 1 card, Ultratek 66 ATA card, 6GB Seagate ATA (boot drive), OS 9.1.

Could it be a virus? My Norton AV is a bit old, but it didnít pick anything up. Any help would be much appreciated.

BF

BF,

Those two extensions, maybe one or both has become corrupted. Try loading fresh ones. Didn't a CD come with that XLR8 mouse? I think they would be on there. Or if OK, then maybe reorder the parade of inits for the XLR8 inits to load earlier. If you disable those two inits, bootup is OK? k

I don't recall ever needing anything other than Apple USB extensions. The best for 9.2 is USB DDK 1.5.5 which you can download from www.macupdate.com Apple's is 1.4.x I think.

Desktop or Finder could also point the drive directory.

I use to swear by Conflict Catcher (while others for some reason would swear at it) as a useful tool.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I tried renaming the XLR8 extensions with a space in front of their names Ė no luck (and the mouse wouldn't work properly). I am writing this on the guilty Mac, so it is not a write-off yet!

I will try a few more things, and post back here. Iím currently using a Microsoft mouse, which seems to be behaving itself.

BF

This is really puzzling (and more than a little annoying!). I did the following prior to my first post - starting with The Base set, I made numbered extension sets, adding more extensions as I went. Set 01 added printer extensions, 02 added CPU upgrade support and so on.

I got up to 08 (XLR8 mouse support added) before boot failure. I then reverted to a lower number extension set, and still got boot failure. Failure seems to occur randomly on any extension set other than Base.

Successful boot up also seems to happen fairly randomly, once I have booted to Base, then picked a higher number (fuller extension) set. I can see no pattern.

I have just re-installed the system (not a clean re-install) and Iím having the same problems.

I did a clean install a few days ago, when the trouble started, but I think the problem might have recurred when I moved some of my saved extensions over to the new system.

I am now starting to suspect hardware or a virus. I take it all back about the MS mouse BTW Ė it has now stopped working! This amount of computer hassle takes me back to my W95/98 days!

Hi BF, I have had similar problems,
    Mine was with Microsoft IE extensions included in the "Base Extension Set"
    seemed to have a problem with the XLR8 control panel.
    just a thought...

Dave

Hi Dave,

How did you resolve that one?

My Base set has the three MS IE extensions (MacromediaRuntimeLib, Microsoft Framework and MS Font Embed Library (PPC)) disabled.

I am on OS 9.1.

BF

Hmmm, seems it was the microsoft framework extension that I had to disable.
    Funny, I just went to boot that computer to verify what extensions were disabled and got no chime or start-up. haha
    Looks like surgery tomorrow...

best wishes,
    Dave

I've had Conflict Catcher on the case, and it says Video Startup is the likely problem. I need to be able to use the video inputs, so I'm wondering what to do next.

Could my Video Startup extension simply be corrupt? The machine certainly seems pretty zippy with that one disabled, and has booted up OK several times in a row.

How do I re-order inits?

BF

You could try replacing that extension with a new copy...Yes an extension can become corrupt, or there could be a new version.
    I believe Conflict Catcher will only allow you to change the load order of certain inits. Seems they were in a part of a control panel called "reoderable extensions" or something to that effect.

hope this helps,
    Dave

Hi again BF,
    I did a little digging for you and found that this extension needs to load first
    to ru correctly,thus your only option would be to see what loads next and could possibly been moved.....doubtfull because I learned;

"Video Startup: Have an AV machine? Watch TV via the Video Startup extension? The system task is patched from PPC to 68k. This is a considerable slowdown on any machine that has the Video Startup extension. If you're not using your Video in or out, you should disable this puppy -- it will help stabilize your machine".from here,http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/code.shtml

Best bet would be to create an extension set containing Video Startup and
    only boot from that when needed.

Regards,
    Dave

Rolleyes

I take it all back! The wretched machine is still unpredictable during startup. It seems exactly the same today as it was before - the only way to persuade it to boot (when it's being awkward) is to boot to the OS 9 CD and ensure the hdd is selected in the Startup Disk Control Panel.

Looks like a fresh system install is needed. It's just so time consuming.........

BF

I have a 7300 that was left unplugged for a long time - six months? and afterward, even with a new battery, it wouldn't shutdown. so, when was the battery last replaced? and was it off the mains for a long time? Sounds like corruption issue.

If possible, boot into Open Firmware. There is no "reset-nvram" command but maybe the init-nvram will work, or at the least, just try using set-deftaults followed by reset-all (instead of the "mac-boot" usually suggested.)

Cuda reset and zap pram from cold start, too, while doing these. It sounds like the startup disk setting, which is stored in open firmware, and which should point to the boot-loader file ".tbxi" isn't happening. There is an open firmware command printenv which should point to the default boot partition and can be changed using setenv (which first heard of when looking into PowerPC linux on OldWorld Macs once upon a time).

I assume you are booting from the FastSCSI internal bus and the drive is on SCSI ID 0, right? no? the UltraTek/66 is your boot drive. I'd say that the firmware on the UltraTek could be corrupted; or the partition map of the drive even (and it is possible for a bad block to occur in the invisible partitions or table or even the driver itself). Do you have a SCSI drive to boot from? and can you then initialize the drive with Drive Setup 2.04? After that, Drive Setup can be used to check for bad blocks safely. Always nice to have a spare drive. Or just pull the drive you have and put a new ATA drive in there...

hmmm, init-nvram,setenv, printenv, ???
    New to me but always learning...
    Dave

See this link http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

OF...

Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram - skip this.. Read TZ's post about it.
    Hit Return
    set-defaults
    Hit Return
    reset-all

there are over a dozen links in the FAQ on Open Firmware, as well as how to, what it does, difference in OS 9 and OS X, what is stored in NVRAM and PRAM.

reset-nvram is NewWorld only.
    init-nvram works on Beige G3 only.

Open Firmware can be thought of as the Mac BIOS in part.

Confused

All interesting stuff. I have been too busy to try any of it over the last couple of days. I'm just leaving the machine on all the time, as itís currently booted OK.

One thing that has been taking up my small amount of spare time is a miscreant beige G3! It wonít boot into OS 9.1 any more. I had OS X installed, but needed to return to OS 9.1. OS 9 will install and run OK, but the upgrade to 9.1 freezes just as the extensions start to load. A similar problem, perhaps?

It is obviously not a good month for my old world Macs. Iíve never had this much hassle with Macs before.