Thread: 250 GB drive shows only 128 GB

Default 250 GB drive shows only 128 GB

Having some problems with SATA drives, SeriTek cards and SoftRaid mirrors and decided before things really go downhill I would pick up another 250 GB drive to transfer files onto just in case. The existing Hitachi 250 GB drive in a Granite Digital FW 800 box has been working flawlessly and was nearly full. Pulled the Hitachi out put the new Maxtor w/16mb cache in and transferred files.

Have an older 80GB Maxtor "personal storage 3000DV" FW 400 drive that I pulled apart to use as a quick switch for Cloning boot drives etc. Thought I would put the slower Hitachi 250 in it and leave the faster Maxtor in the FW800 Case. Things just went downhill from there. It showed only 128 GB of drive capacity upon boot. So I switched the Maxtor drive into the Maxtor box thinking it may be a "maxtor thing". And the same only worse. When I clicked on the drive icon the finder grayed out and came back with an application window open, each time something different happened and it seemed like the finder was relaunching.The Maxtor drive was showing half it's capacity.

Putting the Maxtor 250 drive back in the FW800 box it shows in the info window, capacity 233.63GB, used 226.41 GB (this is accurate as far as I can tell) what isn't is in Disk Utility it shows the drive as "128.0 GB Oxford Semiconductor Ltd".

Put the Hitachi 250 in the FW80 box the info window shows, capacity 127.87, available 127.87 and Disk Utility shows it the same as above, "128.9 Oxford . . . "

I wrote zeros to the Hitachi drive and repartioned it with Disk Utility, ran Disk Warrior 3.0.2, it showed 127.87 GB drive, replaced directory, restarteda and it still shows 127 GBs. Went to the Granite site and downloaded the Mac OS updater which isn't for the FW800 Box I have.

Is there an answer to this? Is there hope? Will Gilligan get Maryann? Could it be I pushed when I should have pulled, cause this sure doesn't feel like Kansas anymore Dorothy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take Care

Art

Just in case it doesn't show below (I'm brand new to this) G4 Dual 1.25, 2 GB RAM, SeriTek, SoftRaid, Headache

Art,

Welcome to the Gurus Forums. Glad to have you with us. Let's see if I can sort thru this with some observations and questions.

From what happened, pretty obvious that the "personal storage 3000DV" FW400 box is not ATA-6 large capacity drives aware. Many older FW400 boxes are not. Your Granite FW800 case, is it the Combo case, meaning both FW800 and USB2, part number 1032? Or is it another model? As far as I know, the Combo case is the only FW800 model Granite sells that uses the Oxford922 bridgeboard. All of the others use an Initio bridgeboard specially built for Granite, tho Initio does sell FW800 bridgeboards and also sells those boards to other companies but I don't believe they are exactly the same as the boards for Granite.

If you don't have the Granite Combo case, I hope you didn't try to flash the Initio bridgeboard with the Oxford922 flasher. I guess I need more details. And if you intend to continue use of the old FW400 box, limit its use to drives of 120GB or less.

Your MDD G4 Dual 1.25, both the ATA/100 and ATA/66 internal busses are ATA-6 big drive aware. I think I would try putting those large drives that you are having trouble with on one of those internal busses and try Disk Utility again and/or SoftRAID 3.1.2.

One last point, your Hitachi 250GB is nearly full. We preach not to allow that and to limit drives to 65-75% full max, otherwise the directory can get corrupted to the point where DiskWarrior will be unable to recover it without data loss.

Others here may have more suggestions. Intech has a utility for big drives that might work. k

Hey Kaye, thanks for the warm welcome and the information and I want to apologize for the bluntness of my post. I've been reading through the forums for the past number of days and feel as if I already know many of you in that forum kinda way.

Got ya on the old Maxtor FW 400 drive, nothing more than 120GB.

The Granite Case is the FireVue 800 with 3 FW 800 ports and no USB courtesy of MacGurus.

Had tried putting the Hitchachi 250 in the tower to run DiskWarrior and it seemed that DW hung so I force quit. Have found on other posts here that it can take a very long time so I will try it again and let it go.

Thanks for the 65 - 70% max on filling a drive. Would that include Boot drives as well? I'd imagine so.

I'll look into Intech

Many Thanks and I'll let you know what happens.

I did not detect bluntness, just a thorough post. No apologies necessary. Yes it would apply to boot drives, perhaps even more so because of the caches that build up in OSX boot drives. Luck with your project. You might want to speak with Kenny at Granite via phone or email about the problem. Kenny always has excellent ideas when I have questions or problems.

Let us know how you resolve this. k

Dropped off the FireWire 800 box with Ken and Bob at Granite Digital, fantastic guys. They are going to check out the box and see if the bridgeboard has malfunctioned. Will post results tomorrow.

Take Care,

Art

Excellent Art. Yes those guys are fantastic. And please do let us know. Thanks, k

Default never too late

The wonderful guys at Granite could find no wrong with the FW800 box. They also couldn't get the 250 drives to show anything more than 128GB. One of them even took the drives home to run some PC based drive repair software, no success. Sent the drives back and they were replaced by Hitachi and Maxtor respectively. It remains a mystery. The only constant was putting the drives in an older Maxtor FW 400 enclosure which works perfectly with any 120GB and under drive I put in it. Needless to say it will never see a larger drive even sitting next to it

Thanks for all the great information here,

Art