Thread: Upgrading a Performa 6400

Default Upgrading a Performa 6400

My Father has an old Performa 6400 which he wants to upgrade hard drive and add a NIC to. My question is about the hard drive. Can I take a 40 GB or larger IDE ATA hard drive and put it in to his system and get it to recognize everything? I am an IT professional and used to work on Mac's but I'm having trouble finding the info I need to upgrade his computer. I know it came with a 2.4 GB IDE drive and someone told him the max he could put in would be a 8 GB. Is this true? If not, what sort of hard drive do I need to be looking for to upgrade it. Thanks.

I know nothing about the Performa 6400 but this site http://www.zone6400.com/index.html has a lot of info and forums. I know he can use a large hard drive but his boot volume might have to be 8GB or less. That I don't know. k

Should be no problem, It has been a while but I put a 20 gig ata drive in a 6400 years ago, also slid a 6500 300 motherboard in ( fits perfectly ) , upgraded RAM, NIC 10/100 card,USB card, and used it as a jukebox thru my stereo.
    The link from Kaye has lots of great info.

Also, I never had any heat problems, and the new faster drive felt like a new computer.

Dave

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks I appreciate the advice. I'm going to try it this weekend. Should be interesting, to see how much I remember about the Mac OS. I've worked on PC's for so long, Mac's look a little foreign to me now. Doesn't matter, they're still great machines. I'm sure It will come flooding back to me.