Thread: Fujitsu drive noise

Default Fujitsu drive noise

Hey folks!
    Haven't been here in awhile,
    My 36GB Fujitsu(U160/68pin) has begun to make some high pitched whizzing.
    It happens intermitently after startup, like the sound of a dentist's tool.
    Started this maybe 1 mth ago. The drive is maybe 2 yrs old.

Also, twice now I got a bad block warning. I cant remember the utility that repaired it(Disk Warrior/Norton) but it got fixed.
    Question is, is a bad block really repairable? Or is it just a band aid?
    I ask becuse the drive is under warranty.
    Thanks!

Norton and DW don't fix bad blocks. Don't recommend making repairs with Norton anyway. Intech Speedtools will map out and reallocate blocks and test a drive. Usually you had to do a Low Level Format to do so. Disk Warrior will fix a bad catalogue/directory and that is it (but does a superb job). Sometimes a corrupt directory can cause or sound like a failing drive. SCSI drives do support SMART, but most utilities don't access it. SoftRAID and ATTO are best bet.

I would backup, reformat (not LLF), zero the drive, load and test with data (write to every block). I would also suspect RAM causing data corruption.

If you have journaling enabled, it could be scanning for file fragments, moving files into the hot zone, loading caches or other maintenance.

And don't install Norton. It hurts.

Default similar problem

hey TZ,

i'm having a similar problem. do you happen to know if TechTool Pro 3 is also a worthy remedy for these symtoms or should i just stick with your original suggestions? thanks in advance.
    Help me earn a:
    free iPod Shuffle (1GB)
    free Mini Mac (80GB)
    or free DVDs
    and get one or all for yourself too! (No joke)

I would use Drive Setup TEST Function if you used DS to format the drive. Non-destructive, finds 99.9% of errors. FWB HDT 4.5.2 is/was also excellent.

Well, i RMA'd the drive and just got the newer MAS3367NP replacement.
    I don't think drive setup will format it(OS9.2.2) Should i use HDT 4.5.2?

The latest Drive Setup 2.07 comes with 9.2.2 but 2.1 comes with MDD and some later Macs, should do most SCSI drives.

I would not use FWB HDT 4.5.2 with 9.2.2, they told me and from what I recall reading it is not "qualified" for 9.2.2.

Intech HDST 3.6, yes. ATTO EXP 2.8.2, yes. SoftRAID 2.2.2 would be ideal.

Try DS first.

That was a nice exchange!

As i said I git the new MAS3367NP 15k 36GB. I also got an almost new MAP3367NP 10k 36GB on ebay.
    I have both running on the beige (15k boot-ID 1 /10k for audio files-ID 3) on the 2940u2b.
    I formated both with Intech Speedtools 3.6, installed System(9.2.2) and apps on the 15k. The 10k is empty and here is my problem.

The second i copy anything, even a small file to the 10k, I check with DiskWarrior and see that my directory is WAAAYYY out of whack. I mean, 25-50% out of order. So i'll rebuild it, then add another small file. AGAIN! way out of order.
    What is wrong here?

Maybe you have a bad cable? I use a SCSI cable tester and it is not uncommon for cables (which have 136 connections) to have an error on one of them.

Maybe your U2B is the problem.

Hello,

FWB HDT 4.5.2 ok.

I loved HDT till 3.0.

If you see and hear things like:

My boot drive is gone, only blinking questionmark.

Initialized an MO, my system froze and I don't got it booting again.

My stored Tif and EPS images are messed-up.

All in 9.2.x, I would not use it.

Regards

Nicolas

I've tried several times and even a single 4k file puts the freshly formated drive 35% out of order.I then tested the drive with Norton and got 4-5 MAJOR errors: Volume header block, volume bit map, allocation file, and files were crosslinked.All this on a drive with a couple megs of data.

The thing is my new 15k is on the same cable and no trouble at all.I even changed the order of the drives and the ID's but still the same problem.

So just try using the 10K drive as a test. And make sure that there aren't any jumpers other than for SCSI ID. I've had problems with a section of cable, or with SCSI case even.

NORTON gives a LOT of "false" errors with Major Errors - I would NEVER let it touch a drive. Period. Until I have run Disk Warrior first (and even that only after using Apple DFA).

HDST 3.6 BY DEFAULT disables wide transfers. You have to click on drive options and enable them.

Conflicts with drive and controller are not unknown. Sometimes firmware for the drive or controller, or even using a different utility to format a drive can help. SoftRAID 2..2 has been known to work around and patch for issues with a drive. I can think of Ultrastar, Cheetah, and Atlas issues at one point or another. While today's Fujitsu looks great, I've never personally used any.

If you make sure that everything that can go wrong is accounted for, there is usually a solution.

Well this is strange.
    I was booting from the 15k before with the 10k as secondary drive.
    In this configuration even the smallest file copied to the 10k would cause crazy directory stuff.
    I tried using ONLY the 10k, booted from cd, re-format... still the same prob when copying a small file.

Now i am BOOTING with the 10k and...problem is gone.
    It seems the 10k doesnt like playing second fiddle??
    As long as i booted with the 15k, the 10k had directory trouble.
    Now both drives seem ok. Why would this go away when being the boot drive?

Lightbulb

Could be bad cable or length or termination.
    Even a pad pin. The pins on 68-pin data connection can get bent.
    I've seen SCSI ID pins fail (not visible but using a different ID solved it).

That is why I asked you to try with just one.
    At least you learn one thing, one step closer to "Why?".

Lightbulb

Hidden away in the FAQ - Storage area is a link to SCSI/ATA FAQ for Storage Review: Storage Review Guide 2000
    Probably one of the best reads and answers quite a few questions.

What's really weird is if i boot from 15k the 10k gets corrupt. If i boot from 10k both a perfectly fine.
    So...I'll just keep it this way. Would have prefered 15k boot but...
    Funny because the 15k is on the same place on the cable the 10k was and no trouble. Tests show no media problems so I dont know.
    The only thing is the 10k boot has ID3. The 15k is ID0.
    Ive never had a booy drive with a higher ID than secondary drive but it seems ok now. Fingers crossed!

Wow. Very strange.
    Im back to booting with the 15K drive as it is faster.

What i found out is that the 10K drive NEEDS to have a system folder on it to behave normally. Even if I dont boot from it!

WITHOUT a system folder , the directory goes crazy out of order with a small file copied over. WITH a system folder, no problem. The directory behaves normally: 1 or 2% out of order once in a while.

I tested and re-tested and proven this.

What the hell does it mean???

Cool Success!

The Beige is OldWorld and weird. Even the B&W along with it, needs an "hfs wrapper" for booting and using HFS Extended. That wrapper is a small invisible mini-system/boot loader as I understand it. Something that, as a result, I would run Disk Warrior even BEFORE installing OS 9 - which insured better results.

The U2B was designed for the B&W, so that makes life more interesting. The best controller for Beige is/was the Miles2 ($88) - a nice Ultra2 card.

Booting - there are some FAQ links about Open Firmware and boot process. Every drive has to be scanned, no matter what drive or partition is the boot partition (written to nvram and can be seen or changed in Open Firmware as "printenv" or "setenv" if you need to). The ".tbxi" bootloader location.

Interesting to learn yet another tidbit - or should I say "personality quark" of the Beige G3.

heck, if the Mac-Mini wasn't so inexpensive, putting Miles2 or something, 15K drive, Sonnet 1GHz along with Radeon 9200 can put some real umph into a 6 yr old system.

You never want to be without a backup system; or, without Disk Warrior. Norton is the fastest way to take a working system and damage it sometimes.