Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Database Servers

Default OS X Server 10.3.4 Admin Tools

Anyone know what the 272MB Apple OS X Server Admin Tools 10.3.4 is about?

Mac OS X Server 10.3.4 Admin Tools: Information and Download

The Server Administration Software contains administration software and tools that you can install on a computer other than your server.

These tools require Mac OS X version 10.3 or later.

The following tools will be installed into Applications/Server folder with the exception of QuickTime Broadcaster: Server Admin, Workgroup Manager, Server Monitor, Network Image Utility, Server Assistant, QTSS Publisherand QuickTime Broadcaster.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120280

Administration Tools for Mac OS X Server

Server Administration Software

The ServerAdministrationSoftware.pkg contains administration software and tools that you can install on a computer other than your server.

These tools require Mac OS X version 10.3 or later. The following tools will be installed into Applications/Server folder with the exception of QuickTime Broadcaster.

* Server Admin ó For configuring service settings, monitoring server activity, viewing log information, and checking the state of each service

* Workgroup Manager ó For managing share points, users, groups, computer lists, and Mac OS X managed client environments

* Server Monitor ó For monitoring the hardware status of Xserve servers

* Network Image Utility ó For creating, modifying, and managing NetBoot and Network Install disk images

* Server Assistant ó For remote installations and initial configuration of Mac OS X Server

* QuickTime Broadcaster ó To use in conjunction with QuickTime Streaming Server to broadcast live audio and video streams

* QTSS Publisher - The QTSSPublisher.pkg contains the QTSS Publisher application for installation on client computers. QTSS Publisher can be used to upload media to Mac OS X Server, prepare media for streaming, and to setup and manage video and audio playlists for publishing with QuickTime Streaming Server.

* Macintosh Manager - The Macintosh Manager folder contains installation software and documentation for use with Macintosh Manager. Macintosh Manager is Appleís desktop management solution for for managing workgroups, preferences, and user environments on Mac OS 9.

* Documentation - The Documentation folder contains electronic documentation in PDF format for getting started with Mac OS X Server, setting it up, and configuring it.

Updated documentation for Mac OS X Server can be found at this Apple website:
    ē www.apple.com/server/documentation/

Utilities - The Utilities folder contains copies of the PackageMaker and Property List Editor applications for use in creating installation packages and editing XML configuration (.plist) files.

© 2003 Apple Computer, Inc.
    User comment on VT:
    After installing this "new" set of tools on my desktop machine, I could not access the Sharing button in Workgroup Manager. I checked the version number and found it was 2.0, but the version of Workgroup Manager on my Xserve (where I did not install the "new" tools) was 2.0.1. I copied WM from the Xserve to my desktop machine and now it works fine. This package also installed an older version of Server Monitor. Watch out! http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17727
    I saw this on VT but nowhere else.
    Last edited by TZ; 06-15-2004 at 11:39 AM.

Thumbs up Apple's new Xserve hardware

Apple impresses with new Xserve hardware

Xserve with G5 CPUs, 3.5TB RAID gives you more for less
    Affordable 64-bit computing

Want back-end power at a desktop price? AMD’s Opteron and Apple’s G5 deliver.

For dynamic workloads, IT has traditionally turned to 64-bit Unix servers with fast I/O and lots of expandability. Yet those servers’ enormous cost, trailing compute performance, and never-ending maintenance needs fueled the migration to Xeon in the first place. The ideal solution would be big-iron-like throughput and capacity without the sacrifice of Xeon-like compute performance and affordability -- something between cheap 32-bit PC servers and 64-bit IBM Power, Intel Itanium, or Sun Sparc machines. If low cost could be complemented by backward compatibility and smaller form factors, so much the better.

That sweet spot has been filled. Two emerging 64-bit platforms, one built on AMD’s Opteron and the other on IBM’s PowerPC 970FX, have stepped into the breach. Needless to say, we couldn’t wait to unpack two of the first systems based on these chips and see what 64-bit computing on a Xeon budget felt like. Our first test systems were a dual-Opteron reference server from AMD built on an MSI motherboard and a dual-processor Xserve G5 from Apple.

InfoWorld
    Check out the full 3-page review.

Default Xserve RAID Certification

- New Certifications for Xserve RAID - Lionel - 18:59:25

Xserve RAID continues to progressively come into it's own. After receiving certification for the following:

Windows 2003 Server
    RedHat Linux Server
    Yellow Dog Linux Server

It is now certified for:

NetWare® 5.1
    NetWare® 6
    NetWare® 6.5
    Novell Cluster Services™ 1.01
    Novell Cluster Services™ 1.6
    Novell Cluster Services™ 1.7

This nicely expands it's target customer base.
    [translation by Astomatous]

xGrid on Unix - Lionel - 18:56:43
    Source : http://www.heise.de

Daniel Cote of the Ontario Cancer Instiutite, part of the university of Toronto (http://unu.novajo.ca) has succeeded in installing xGrid, Apple's computational clustering technology, on several versions of Unix (RedHat, Debian, Darwin, Solaris).

Thumbs up Server 10.4 Highlights

Check these new and improved features.... my favorites:

- Software Update Server. Reduce network costs by controlling the distribution of Apple software updates with your own Apple software update proxy/cache server.

- Mobile Home Directories. Centrally manage mobile user's home directories with Tiger Server. When they reconnect to the network, mobile home directories automatically synchronize to the server.

- Xgrid 1.0. Easily build your own computational cluster with Xgrid 1.0, now fully integrated with Tiger Server. Xgrid 1.0 uses Kerberos and Open Directory for authentication and includes a new SDK for developers.

- Site-to-Site VPN. Extend your private network using IP tunneling with IPSec encryption. Compatible with DSL and cable broadband services.

- Open Directory 3. Tiger Server includes significant updates to Directory Services, Network Authentication and Service Discovery.

- Managed Network Browsing. Control how the Network is organized in the Finder and how your users view it. Administer virtual network views within the Workgroup Manager. Data is stored in Open Directory.

- NT Migration Tool. Easily migrate Windows networks from Windows Primary Domain Controller to Open Directory running Mac OS X Server.

- Gateway Setup Assistant. Small businesses and home offices can easily set up an Internet Gateway, Firewall and VPN with the new Gateway Setup Assistant, which walks you through the process.

- Certificate Management. Easily create and manage SSL certificates and assign them to services. Certificate creation tools built into Server Admin make it easy to create SSL/TLS Certificate Signing Requests or custom, self-signed digital certificates.

- High Availability Failover. Eliminate service downtime with automatic pairing of AFP, CIFS and NFS network file servers. Tiger Server supports 2-node active/passive file service clustering and provides complete setup and management of –cluster pair” with Server Admin.

- Ethernet Link Aggregation. Ensure faster and more reliable network performance by combining multiple network interfaces to make them behave as a single interface with the the same Ethernet address, the same IP address and the same host name. Designed to work with IEEE 802.3ad Ethernet switches.
    See it all here. This is shaping up very nicely. A couple dreamy features in there that used to only be available to real system admins.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb Xserve w/ hardware RAID

Aug 30, 2004

Xserve with hardware RAID card

Alan Claver - I received my Xserve dual 2 GHz today with hardware RAID card (after a long wait for availability) and 3 250GB serial ATA drives.

A few observations follow..

1. RAID was NOT configured. The drives were mounted as separate drive devices. However, OS X Server was installed on the first drive. Of course, I had to reinstall OS X as creating a new array required formatting of the drives.

2. RAID setup had to be done via a command-line prompt. This was a big surprise. It's not hard for an experienced administrator but not obvious for regular folks to setup. I would hope they get around to creating a GUI-based setup utility for the non-technical administrator.

3. Documentation is online (not included with server) and it's a bit sparse.

4. The setup utility is named Megaraid so I assume that the RAID card is an LSI Logic MegaRAID SATA 150-4 derivative.

5. It's very quiet. I was worried about the noise but it's reasonable under normal loads. It does throw off a good deal of heat - the temperature in my office climbed noticeably.

Default G5 Xserve Firmware Update

What's new in this version:

Includes changes for initializing and running your Xserve G5. It provides enhanced reliability during reboot sequences as well as support for the Xserve G5 PCI Hardware RAID Card. This firmware update is required for Xserve G5 customers who wish to install the Xserve G5 PCI Hardware RAID Card kit and is strongly recommended for all Xserve G5 systems with earlier firmware versions.
    Interesting....

Will report back if I see anything different - we don't have the PCI RAID card in either of our G5 Xserves.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yet another positive Xserve review.

And, as TZ mentioned elsewhere, SoftRAID 3.1 is finally out. Bootable mirrors are just what the doctor ordered for 24/7 uptime....

Lightbulb Effect of Memory and Web Server

In both data throughput and number of HTTP requests/second, the results showed Web server performance increased by 73.27 percent when upgrading the amount of RAM from 512MB to 2GB and increased over ninefold when upgrading from 512MB to 4GB.

When upgrading the amount of RAM from 2GB to 4GB, the Web server data throughput and number of HTTP requests/second increased by a factor of five. Web Server Performance and Memory Upgrade

Lightbulb XServe/XRAID/Xsan

No degradation on Xserve/Xraid even when you are using 90% storage available. If you have to have 1TB of storage, you don't want to have to buy 2TB and waste half because it can't maintain the 200MB minimum needed for video editing.

But for both the Xserve RAID and Xserve G5, it's the improvements under the hood that stand out.
    G5 Xserve/XRAID

Apple Xsan Fibre Channel

When factoring in the OS cost, Xserve remains a smart server choice for budget-conscious operations that don't need an all-Microsoft ecosystem. If Xserve G5 falls short anywhere, it's on features that may be unnecessary outside the most demanding environments.

Apple impresses with new Xserve hardware
    Xserve with G5 CPUs, 3.5TB RAID gives you more for less
    InfoWorld G5 Xserve
    Xserve G5 RAID
    Apple takes the bite out of SANs - Xsan lowers the obstacles to SAN implementation
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/...PPhands_1.html

... the value of Xserve RAID when compared with similar 3U arrays is obvious to even the most stubborn big-iron loyalist. Apple's Xsan storage networking app, also due this fall, might actually bring some sanity to SAN implementations. With a $999 price tag and purported 100 percent interoperability with ADIC's StorNext file system, Xsan may be the budget balancer that SAN technology needs to take off in smaller enterprises.

Apple's Xserve product line performs well and compares favorably on price. Feature for feature, it holds its own against anything I've seen in a Xeon- or Opteron-based system.

there are things I can do with Apple's tightly integrated hardware and OS that I can't do with other platforms, such as use an external FireWire boot device if a system refuses to boot on its own.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/...Cxserve_1.html
    Last edited by TZ; 04-25-2006 at 07:25 AM.

Lightbulb Windows 2000/XP/Server 2000/2003 and Mac OSX

Windows 2000/XP

MacWindows Tutorial

MacWindows 10.3 Panther

MacWindows 10.4 Tiger

Setting Up Macintosh & Windows File Sharing Part I

Setting Up Windows & Macintosh File Sharing Part II

Sharing files between a Windows XP PC and a Mac running OS 10.3.x

Also you can turn Windows 2000 and XP into a Server for Mac Clients see Cyan Mac Server IP!!!

Windows 2000 and 2003 Server
    have some serious speed issues if you are using Appletalk clients (old AFP or AFPover TCP). With third party software you can gain up to two to six times the performance of SfM (windows Services for Macintosh).

Other problems you can have using SfM or SMB:
    1. Max. Filesize (2GB limit)
    2. Macintosh files are not longer working if copied to another PC for backup (resource forks to lose).
    3. No 10.4 aka Tiger support
    4. No authentication support form Mac clients
    5. Problems mounting shares

Solutions:

Grouplogic Extreme Z-IP
    http://www.grouplogic.com/products/e...fileserver.cfm
    Improve your file copy performance by 2 - 6 times that of Windows NT's built-in Services for Macintosh (SFM)
    and 2 - 3 times that of Windows 2000's SFM

Sharity
    http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity/
    - Access files on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Samba, AppleShare IP, FacetWin and other CIFS servers.
    - Provides network browsing facility similar to Windows' "Network Neighborhood".
    - Runs on almost any Unix operating system (including Mac OS X). Click here for a complete list
    - Easy Installation.
    - Faster than NFS servers for Windows.
    - Shares are mounted in the file system: You can open files directly from the server.

Cyan Mac Server IP
    http://www.cyansoftware.com/MacServerIP.htm
    - new: AFP 3.1 support
    - new: Support for file names longer than 31 characters and support of \/`*?< >| in file and folder names
    - new: Full support for TIGER MacOSX 10.4
    - new: Kerberos support for single sign on pass through authentication in Active Directory
    - new: Unlimited login password and user name lengths
    - new: Unicode support
    - new: DHX password encryption support
    - new: On a cluster failover volumes are immediately available
    - new: Very fast file searching via our new MSIP framework
    - new: High performance MacOSX file access on Windows servers
    - new: Bonjour (Rendezvous) support
    - new: reduced memory consumption when sharing millions of files
    - new: Supporting full compatibility between MacOS Classic and MacOSX files unlike Mac SMB client
    - new: No hidden files or resource forks to lose,as with SMB
    - new: Improved stability of Windows based servers in Mac dominated environments
    - new: Enhanced Gigabit network performance
    - new: Unlimited file and volume sizing (no 2GB file size limitations)
    - new: 5 x faster than SFM and voted the fastest IP based Mac sharing system on the Windows platform
    - new: improved performance; optimized for Win 2000; special optimized version for NT Cluster / Win 2000 Datacenter/Advanced / Win 2003 Datacenter/Enterprise available; inexpensive Workstation version available for turning a NT Workstation & 2000/XP Professional PC into an inexpensive extremely fast print & file server for Macintosh clients (*1)

Also take a look here:

Common File Systems and OSX

Networking

Security News
    Last edited by Nicolas; 01-22-2006 at 06:19 PM.
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default PostgreSQL is available for OS X too

Hello!

Back in 2000 or so, it seemed that there were two primary contenders for open-source database: MySQL and PostgreSQL. For some reason, PostgreSQL seemed to fall off the radar and MySQL got all the press.

Well, as I learned last summer while prepping for some "benchmark" tests, MySQL v.4 lacked many features common in other RDBMS (e.g., transaction handling, cursors, etc.). These were to be addressed in MySQL v.5.

Well, then Oracle bought InnoDB, the open-source house that was going to provide the transaction tools for MySQL! That story is still open, but interesting nonetheless.

So, I went to a presentation by the chap who developed:

http://www.chicagocrime.org/

Which utilizes a number of neat little programming tricks and implements the Google Map API. He also uses PostgreSQL extensively...both on this site and on some commercial sites he runs. Oh, and PostgreSQL supports all those functions that MySQL doesn't.

My interest in PostgreSQL was very much reinvigorated by this talk (over the last number of years I've mainly worked on Oracle 8i and SQL Server 2000).

If one were looking for an open-source database, I'd recommend checking out PostgreSQL (btw, the name PostgreSQL has a convoluted etymology: it began as the Ingres database [named after the French painter Ingres], became open-source and they decided to do a number on its name...maybe that's why MySQL got popular insofaras people couldn't figure out what the "gre" was that was "Post" and if it ever were "Pre"... ;-)

Best,

Iver

Lightbulb Sharing Unix Server in Mac OS X/WinXP LAN

Last edited by TZ; 05-02-2006 at 08:20 AM. Reason: MySQL