Thread: Lexmark Z715 Printer

Default Lexmark Z715 Printer

Up until just recently I have been using a Lexmark Z53 printer which came as a free promotional with my QS back in 2001. You know they got their money back in printer cartridges. About two weeks ago I purchased an Epson R300M photo printer for the wife which can be used as a stand alone printer without connection to a Mac. It has a small LCD screen for viewing a file and modifying it and slots for media such as my CompactFlash type I cards. When I went to print up the Epson online purchase, my Z53 died forever. Jealous I guess.

Anyway, I still needed a printer for my Macs so I went to the Lexmark website and agonized over the choices and settled on the Z715 then did an online price search. Found I could get it for $65 including S/H and no tax. Still uses the same photo and color cartridges. Black cartidge is a new model.

It came with a CD for installing the latest drivers and applications. I did that on the QS but didn't on the MDD, yet the MDD prints just fine.

What the Z715 does that my old Z53 could not do:

1. If I forget to shut off the printer in Panther, it auto shuts down when I shut down the Mac and it does not turn on from a cold boot. Z53 never did any of that.
    2. It has an Automatic paper senser which senses all types of paper from inkjet up thru various qualities of photo paper and auto adjusts the printing resolution based on paper and ink cartridges installed. Like my old Z53, I can print with black and color ink cartridges or remove the black and install the photo ink cartridge and therefore have the photo and color ink cartridges installed for best photo printing.
    3. With the best selections of photo papers and the photo and color ink cartridges installed, it will print borderless which my Z53 would never do.
    4. You can manually select your preferences and even save them as custom selections or just let the printer automatically choose.

It does an admirable job on borderless with the best photo paper, not up to the Epson R300M of course which has 6 ink cartridges. I think the Z715 is USB 1.1 only but am not positive. The R300M is USB 1.1 and 2. k

Nice Kaye.

Have not kept up with ink jets at all....had no idea such features are now available on "cheap" printers. Truly amazing.

I dislike working on printers so much at work, I don't have one at home. Get my prints from Winkflash.com. Cheap, and no troubleshooting, or print heads to clean and align.

My wife wants a printer - you know, that instant gratification thing - but have put her off for about years now...

Good to know that if she finally wears me down, they have come this far!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

As I mentioned before, the Z715 auto shuts down when I shut down the Mac. I have it connected to a powered USB 1.1 hub. For some time now, I have known that it auto starts up also in Panther if I go to print from any application, whether I print from the dialog window or select Preview from that window and select Print from the preview.

Well today I was working with a Canon CanoScan 8400F USB2 scanner connected to a USB 2 PCI card and had scanned a text page (BTW, this USB 2 scanner is wicked fast). The printer was off and I was using a Canon Utility called CanoScan Toolbox X with the intent of selecting OmniPage SE to spell check when I noticed that there was a Print selection for the scanned image. So I selected that and the danged Lexmark started up and printed the page even tho the USB devices are on separate buses, the Lexmark thru a hub to the mobo USB 1.1, the Canon scanner on a USB 2 PCI card. It's a wonder what Panther and these devices can do. k

Hello guys,

a friend of mine is running a Epson R300 with an favorable PS RIP,
    so she can print PostScript from InDesign.
    The Software RIP is called PrintFab Pro ( www.printfab.net )
    It includes one measurement of an individual color profile and all
    at 69 Euros.

With some tricks you can print form any other OSX Mac to the PS R300 printer.

Cheap way if you need a color PostScript Printer.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!