Thread: Dual 867 Quicksilver processor card

Default Dual 867 Quicksilver processor card

If I want to swap a dual with a single, are there any other configurations that need to be changed or is it just plug and play?

Apple to Apple, nothing else to do.

The entire swap should be contained within the change of processor units if both are from Quicksilver machines.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks

Is $85 excessive for this processor?

Ebay has similar (MDD) duals for starting bids of $50 +shipping.

Maybe someone else can answer that. Only someone who has recently been looking at that particular component and the prices they have been carrying can tell you what they are selling for. I have never looked at those and have not the slightest clue.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

MMD daughter cards are not the same as the Quicksilver's. Why swap a dual for a single? I've never heard of anyone doing so.
    You can search here to see if it's been done and what the success rate is tho.
    http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/cpureview.lasso

QS to QS --> Should be plug and go
    DA to DA --> Should be plug and go
    QS to DA --> Should be plug and go but you need to add 12 volts to the 4th bolt hole on processor card. People have done this a lot. Search here or Google.
    MDD to MDD --> Keeping the fsb at 133 or 167 should be plug and play. If you are up to some soldering. Some people have tweaked a 133MHz bus to a 167MHz bus. Stability always seems to be an issue and might be a lot of problems.
    MDD to QS/DA --> Very different processor cards so this is a no go.

Thanks for all the info:

For Almaink: didn't intend to mislead: the swap is single to dual and I do understand that MDD and QS are different. I was only trying to draw some conclusion on the price even with the differences in the processors.

Thanks

Default Does this help?

Hard to put a value on an older slower processor. What is the goal? A Surfing, emailing computer or graphics, photos, 3D Gaming? For the most a Dual 867 won't feel much faster if any than a single. It will however plow through multiple chores full blast. IMO - A dual seems to shift down a gear and always has extra power it's tougher to slow down. It will not feel like 2 x 867MHz. I'd say more like a single 1Ghz.

How long do you expect 85 dollars until you need more computer? If you spend 85 now. How long do you expect to run it to be satisfied - a year? A month?

I just noticed that this processor is a 1GHz Dual (print too small to readily and easily see. Would it be plug and play QS to QS or is there something system-wise that would cause it not to work?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Yes it should

The QS came with a Dual 1GHz in it's final days. Look at the Second row (QS 2002) and under processor info you'll see. From Apples tech pages http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42739

The Dual 867 was on the MDD only as I remember.

OK, I tried to install this 1 GHz DP into my QS. On one occasion it booted and ran normally. Most times it would not boot and gave me CPU failures and other codes.

I checked this CPU on another OS and it did function normally so I guess something is wrong with my QS.

Fresh battery installed, pulled all cards and reinstalled one-by-one, reset CUDA nothing worked.

What did I miss?