Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GigaBump an MDD

Lightbulb GigaBump an MDD

My MDD died a horrible death. One morning I went to boot up and got a black screen and no curser of any type. 28 seconds later, the main 120mm fan came on at a level I had never heard before, like a jet engine. The Gurus gave me a slew of tips. Tried them all with the same result. Jason at Giga offered to test my CPUs board. Rick and Jason collaborated to send me the Giga MDD upgrade. Still no go. Took the MDD to the local Apple Store Genius Bar, armed with my 3 year AppleCare, and the Genius Level 1 guy ran thru a whole series of tests while I watched. He concluded it was the logic board. Less than 24 hours later I received a call that the MDD was ready for pickup. Bill was just under $500, new version 3 mobo, my cost ZERO. AppleCare at $249 paid off very well. Both Rick and Jason were very kind and I bought the GigaBump.

What I had: MDD G4-1.25GHz DP dual boot, FW400, 167MHz bus shipped 09/25/2002.
    Now: GigaBump MDD G4-1.42GHz DP

Some pics of the GigaBump MDD upgrade installation. I dumbed down the size and resolution of the pics to keep them small. Anyway...

Pic below shows what is inside the box. The foam packing inside is industrial strength. The CD is Drive 10 and has a serial number on the back side of the envelope. The power connectors can be used to connect the 120mm fan to the Giga board to allow the Giga to control and slow down the fan considerably. Instructions say that you do not have to do this, that you can leave the 120mm fan as OEM connected and I left it that way. Note also the two spacers in the plastic bag. They will be used later. The instructions are in color and on both sides of a heavy sheet.

Pic below is of the OEM heatsink. Note how tall it is. 2 of the 4 Phillips screws for removing it are at the bottom, the upper two are obsured by the fins. On the lower right, just that one screw, don't mess with any other screws on that assembly. Save the screws for later.

Pic below is the OEM CPU board. Between the two holes on the right you can see where the board connects to the mobo. Note the three silver spacers on the lower and upper left and the upper right. Those are where you unscrewed 3 of the 4 Phillips screws to remove the OEM heatsink. On the right, the entire assembly is still there. All that was removed was that 1 screw.

This pic below is the real key to the operation of removing the OEM CPU board and installing the GigaBump. Don't mess with the black rail on the left. It is a frame that either CPU board slides into and out of. Raise the opposite end of the board, the right side, to disconnect the board from the mobo. Then continue to raise the board while pulling toward the right. Note that I have already partially raised the board and disconnected it from the mobo and the board has already partially slid out of the black rail.

What could be easier. Following the instructions for the GigaBump, turn it over and remove the protective cap from the connector, then turn it right side up and spread apart those bracket fingers on the upper and lower right, angle the GigaBump right side up, slide it part way into the black rail and lower the GigaBump while continuing to slide left until the board contacts the mobo connector. Then once lowered and in the black rail all the way, push down on the right side of the assembly to mate the board with the mobo. You will hear and feel the the connection to the mobo is made. Those two spacers in the plastic bag slide over the OEM spacers on the left side. Screw the GigaBump down with the 4 screws you saved.

Just another view of the GigaBump. Note its much lower profile.

All of this is in the instructions. I did amplify somewhat on the CPU board removal and GigaBump installation. Big temptation to mess with the black rail or the other screws on the right side assembly.

The much lower profile of the upgrade allows much more air to pass from the 120mm fan, between the upgrade and the vertical double drive bay, and out the back. I also cannot hear the Giga fan. The entire inside, the PCI slot area, the CPU area, and the vertical and horizontal drive bays are all much cooler. What could be finer, a well engineered upgrade. k

Some tests tho the GigaBump has not burned in yet.

All of these tests with GF4ti running 21" CRT monitor at 1152x870 at millions, 10.3.7 whereas OEM tests were 10.3.3.

CINEBENCH 2003 v1
    Tester : kyum

Processor : G4-1.42 DP
    MHz : 1420
    Number of CPUs : 2
    Operating System : 10.3.7

Graphics Card : GF4ti
    Resolution : <1152x870>
    Color Depth : <Millions>
    Rendering (Single CPU): 134 CB-CPU, OEM 120 CB-CPU
    Rendering (Multiple CPU): 247 CB-CPU, OEM 221 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.84

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 165 CB-GFX, OEM 149 CB-GFX
    Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 457 CB-GFX, OEM 423 CB-GFX
    Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 914 CB-GFX, OEM 892 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 5.55

Altivec Fractal Carbon 1.2
    1.2 sec, 11110.4MF, OEM 1.5 sec, 8912.7MF

Xbench 1.1.3
    201.50, OEM 194.30
    ************************************************** ** k

On the way to Xbench, with all of its warts, I made a few discoveries. First my RAM, in adding a new 512MB Crucial to my existing two sticks of Crucial (before MacGurus started selling RAM) and one OEM Samsung, I discovered that the Memory Tests and RAM Disk tests were significantly slower with GigaBump than my previous Apple CPUs tests. Turns out the new Crucial stick is slower than the other memory. Also discovered, as far as Xbench is concerned, the RAM is accessed from slots J21, J22, and J23 before J20. So moving the new Crucial to J20 restored the Memory Tests and Disk Tests RAM Disk.

The second discovery is that, given that Xbench is long in the tooth for G4s at least, running Xbench in 10.3.3 (my original Xbench tests were that OS before GigaBump) gave much better results.

10.3.7 - 201.50 Giga 1.42GHz DP
    10.3.3 - 206.10 Giga
    10.3.3 - 194.30 Apple 1.25GHz DP

This Giga is still burning in so every bench test should get faster but I have had enough of Xbench and 10.3.3. k

Thanks for the awesome posts Kaye - where else can you find this quality other than the Guru's!!!!
    Jason Wolf
    Mac Technologist
    Giga Designs / Waypoint Dist.
    _________ _____ ____ ___ __ _

Hello,

I have some questions about this upgrade, maybe someone can answer them.

A friend of mine has a MDD Dual 867 he OCed it to 1GHz running at 133MHz Bus now he wants my CPU board cuz the 867 board died yesterday.
    I thought my card would run at fixed at a 6x multyplierer so he would get only 798MHz right?

I would buy one immediately if:

1. it could be set for 133 and 167 Bus speeds.
    When faster upgrades hit the market I can sell it to all MDD users not only to someone with a MDD with the same bus speed.

2. no drivers or firmware changes needed.

3. it is available in Germany for a fair price. Example:
    The cheapest dealer in Germany wants 750 Euros!!! for the G-Celerator DUAL 1.33 GHz for 133 MHz G4s. The MDD upgrade is not yet listed.

4. the CPU's are not being OCed 1.2GHz ones. But I think that is the same ol Moto thing, they can not deliver 1.4GHz CPU's at a good price.

Most of my friends that have a MDD have the Single or the lower Dual models (like me, that is the price if you want something brand new and not waiting for a Rev. 2) and they can't make the switch to a only OSX running G5.

It's like at work we bought 2 Canon CLC's 3220 and while in OS9
    everything is fine, in X we have serious problems getting PS errors also,
    with the film/plate setters (Agfa Avantra 44) not metioned the 2 scanners (Agfa XY15 and Heidelberg Tango) .

Best Regards

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,

I'm rushing this because I have several appointments before I can get back to the forums.
    A friend of mine has a MDD Dual 867 he OCed it to 1GHz running at 133MHz Bus now he wants my CPU board cuz the 867 board died yesterday.
    I thought my card would run at fixed at a 6x multyplierer so he would get only 798MHz right?
    This one I don't know, maybe Jason does.
    1. it could be set for 133 and 167 Bus speeds.
    When faster upgrades hit the market I can sell it to all MDD users not only to someone with a MDD with the same bus speed.
    There are 2 tables in the instructions for setting the 5 dip switch settings for both 167MHz and 133MHz MDDs. So yes, GigaBump works for both MDDs. I need to take a pic of that and one of the actual dip switches. There is also a jumper block but you are not to change those settings.
    2. no drivers or firmware changes needed.
    Right, no drivers or firmware issue.
    4. the CPU's are not being OCed 1.2GHz ones. But I think that is the same ol Moto thing, they can not deliver 1.4GHz CPU's at a good price.
    My recollection is that these are 1.25GHz OCed. In a rush now.
    Most of my friends that have a MDD have the Single or the lower Dual models (like me, that is the price if you want something brand new and not waiting for a Rev. 2) and they can't make the switch to a only OSX running G5.
    GigaBump runs just fine in OS9.2.2 (I don't use Classic) and as a dual. Minimum 9.2.2 is a requirement. k

kaye,

thank you for the informations, much appreciated.

So, if I could get one in Germany I would buy it

Do you know if the Gurus selling to Germany?

Best Regards

Nicolas

Nicolas, what the Giga Designs website sez:
    Dual M Series 1.4GHz G4 Processor Upgrade Recommended for Mirror Drive Door PowerMacs
    * Multi-Voltage Board Design
    * Compatible with Mac OS 9.2.1, 9.2.2, 10.1.x, 10.2.x (Jaguar), & 10.3.x (Panther)
    * 3 Year Limited Warranty