Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: G4 Upgrades

Lightbulb G4 Upgrades

Upgrade for G4 450 AGP Graphics ("sawtooth")

What is the best upgrade for this model of mac? Any problems after upgrading? Does OS need to be reinstalled? Will all hardware function as before?

I've done some digging around at xlr8yourmac.com, and have been reading posts and articles here and there about the Giga CPU (133) upgrades.

Perhaps I'm not looking where there is a clear, 'dual-on-dual' comparison.

Can the performance difference in the two different dual processor options be generalized or 'nutshelled'? I'm wondering how significant the difference may be. Photoshop is my most demanding app. I'm ready to buy!

I have determined that my mac can take a dual processor upgrade. Will a dual processor be very much better for photoshop and scanner work? If so, which would you recommend? And, is the cost justified given that my mac is now a few years old?

Two more questions please:

1. Is the dual processor very much better than the single (ie. worth a couple of hundred dollars more at this point)?

2. As for backing up my hard drive: I have an ibook with room on its drive. The drive is not partitioned. Is it OK to simply copy the entire hard drive of my desktop machine onto the ibook drive? Will this cause any problems in the operation of the ibook (just for example, will copying a single license ap onto the ibook cause problems?)?

I appreciate your expertise and willingness to help.

If the new drive is set as Master at the factory, would the old one in the machine have to be set by me as slave, or does it automatically take that position relative to the Master? If so, how?

Master or Cable Select. Try not to put two ATA drives on the same bus, put them on separate controller interface whenever possible.

1. A new drive would fit in your bottom center position - need 4 screws.
    2. A host card in any of the PCI slots - with new drive attached as MASTER.
    3. Setting master/slave is done on the drive but usually ships as MASTER.
    4. Easy install good directions.
    5. Software should be fine - no change needed.

I've been a Mac user for a couple of decades and though thoroughly accustomed to the Copland OS, using Panther for the last few days has been delightful. I see the light. Thus converted, on the road to Cupertino, the very next thought that came to mind was how do I upgrade my other Mac, a 9600, that I've had for years, that performs satisfactorily, but with the usual cord-pulling, lock-ups from time to time.

I know I can get X 10.3 on the 9600 with Xpostfacto if I upgrade the processor. You can get an XLR8 CarrierZif G3/G4 adapter for $60.00.

Just from looking, I'm not going to be able to get that huge heatsink in the 9600. Other than the usual trap door, ram leak, fired SCSI, which-slot to put the PCI mistery, can anyone think of reasons why the above plan would not work?

DO NOT DELETE!
    THIS MESSAGE ANCHORS THIS THREAD!
    Last edited by TZ; 02-23-2005 at 02:23 PM. Reason: DO NOT REMOVE THIS MESSAGE!

Dear friend,

First of all I'd like you to carefully consider the "worth-ness" of upgrading your PowerMac 9600. Especially considering you want to run OSX 10.3.x on it. I would like to draw your attention on some limitations you may encounter:
    • Provided you can still find an XLR8 Carrier Zif for your 9600, you need to check weather the G4 CPU coming from your G4 DA has a still useable gasket around the CPU chip which needs to be there so as to help take stress from the heatsink off the CPU contact area of the chip (the center raised area of the CPU). See this XLR8YOURMAC article about it. For this reason, you need to make sure when you buy the Carrier Zif, that it will come with the spare XLR8 gasket AND with the XLR8's special Heatsink.
    • The above article from XLR8YOURMAC, suggests that most ZIFs which were sold on the market will only provide you with a maximum Bus speed multiplier of 8x; this will limit your Bus Speed to a maximum of 50MHz and a CPU clock speed of 400MHz.
    • Even if you get round all that, you will need to deal with the L2 cache issue mentioned in the above article; you would then be faced with the choice of either removing eventual L2 cache dimms present on the motherboard, or to deinterleve RAM, or both. Not an easy task.
    • Then you need to get hold of a copy of XLR8's software control panel, in order to set the appropriate L1 cache ratio.
    • Missing any of the above may result in a VERY unstable machine.
    • Another drawback is that your machine has a Front System Bus which, under the best of circumstances, can be overclocked only up to 60MHz. Even with such agressive upgrade, the FSB will still represent a major "hold-back" to OSX tasks, PLUS will call for appropriate RAM sticks to be dropped in there (you will find it very difficult and very expensive these days to get appropriate RAM for your old 9600).
    • OSX does NOT drive printers or other peripheral devices (such as scanners, etc.) connected to the old ADB serial ports; you will need to fit a third party PCI card which will provide you USB ports. I don't remember everything, but it seems to me you may have the same problem for your ADB driven mouse.
    • Same issues are still true for older external SCSI devices, such as burners, external disks, etc. You will find it difficult (if not impossible) to run them under OSX.
    • Even if you get round all of the above, you may find that the final bill of the upgrade does not justify keeping the 9600 (with all it's limitations and, perhaps, general system instability) for OSX operations; this also in consideration that you want to upgrade the G4 DA too.

Due to the above, my humble suggestion is to keep your older 9600 machine running OS9.x while you are making the final transition to OSX on the newer G4 DA; I am sure there will be quite a number of applications which you will need to upgrade so as to run them under OSX native and so as to keep on holding to your precious data. You could thus concentrate on efficiently upgrading your G4 DA, macking the best out of your budget.

With respect to the G4 DA upgrade, I will have to concur with RIcks' advice: OWC's products, though competitive in price and with similar performance, are no way near the quality of the GigaDesign products. However, for more indipendent reviews, you may want to check XLR8YOURMAC Database on CPU Upgrades.
    Nevertheless, if I was you I would definetly consider the G-celerator 1.25 GHz for 133 MHz G4s Single Processor upgrade for your machine: it is tested for up to 1.467 GHz clock speeds! That will safely provide your G4 with another 3/4 years of comfortable and fruitable computing.
    Other upgrades I would highly reccomend for your G4 DA:
    • At least 1GB of RAM upgrade from Crucial or from MacGurus, bearing the PC-133, CAS 2, non interleaced specifications.
    • Another internal ATA drive with capacity between 80 and 120 GB (you won't be able to fit a larger HD than 120 GB on your on-board IDE bus), due to the additional space OSX and OSX compliant applications need.

Other upgrades you could look into:
    • A better AGP video card (such as an ATI RADEON 9000 series).
    • A third party SATA adaptor PCI card, like the SeriTek, plus two large in capacity SATA drives (e.g.: 160/200 GB in size).

Just my humble 2¢ worth.

Costa
    Last edited by Costa; 02-26-2005 at 02:19 AM.

Lightbulb

Looking closely at your DA

System profiler reports:

• 1 512 Dimm PC-100 322s (wrong ram) - If you want, I can provide you with an in-depth analysis of the SDRAM module so as to make sure it's NOT the right one: all you need to do is to pull it (with your machine powered down) and post here for me the small in-printing on one of those small, black, bug-like chips soldered on the green TSOP SDRAM module; you know, .... those with 54 "legs" on them (27 on each side). With any luck, I could thus retrive the Vendor and the full specification data-sheet for a final check to see if it is worth while hangin' onto it. You may save the cost of an extra 512MB stick... (maybe)....
    • 40MB West. Dig. ATA Unit0 ATA Bus 4 - Sounds like a good, solid drive worth while hangin' onto: you could use it to install your main OS on it (10.3.3) and all your main applications.
    • Sony CD-RW CRX140E - It lloks like a solid burner worth while keeping; you could always drop it into an external FireWire case kit and use it for burning your favourite music, that urgent project you've been working on, those pictures to send to Anty Dorris, etc..... You name it.
    • 250MB zip - IMHO, now days such drive is totally useless: cartridges for the old Zip drive are now becoming more and more difficult to find and, when you do, they cost you an arm and a leg compared to CD-Rs (at less than US$ 7.00 for a 10 pack). In your shoes, I would pull it, so as to free additional space inside the DA (hey, it's always a spare 3.5" internal slot you gain!) and so that I could sell it on e-Bay for some extra cash to spare on some other more urgent/important upgrade.

The Plan

1. I have alread ordered (From the Gurus, ricks) The SeriTek and the 160 Segate SATA - Nice move. I promise you: you won't regret it. Lot's of space where to store your scrap work, your data, your projects, your music, etc... and lot's of speed for a really snappy response when you will retrive data.

2. I need the right ram in there and I'll order that as soon as I finish this. - Yeah. I concur. But first, ahve a look at my above suggestion: you never know; sometimes ASP does not report correct data about the hardware installed. Again, for sure, trouble free upgrades, look at Crucial or here on MacGurus.

3. There is a SCSI card Adaptec 2930 that has a 50 pin on the inside and an Ultra plug on the outside. This card had not been used. Not sure what to do with this. - This card was probably acquired by the previous owner so as to connect to the DA his/hers old SCSI external devices, such as a burner, an external HD, a scanner, etc.... It only provides you with a maximum data transfer rate of 20MB/sec. Modern LW Ultra SCSI devices can do much better than that on your machine. Besides, to my little knowledge, ADAPTEC does not support any longer such product for Mac OSX 10.3.x: you may find it difficult to find the appropriate drivers to run properly any device connected to such card under Panther. In your shoes, I would pull it, so as to free an internal PCI slot for something more amusing (such as the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card).

4. We need to burn DVDs with this unit so I'll be looking for something in that line. XLR8YOURMAC is a gold mine for real work info on this. - True. XLR8YOURMAC is the place where to start. However, I am going to tip you over to a PIONEER DVRA06 Internal DVD Writer, which, besides being mentioned several times at XLR8YOURMAC Drive Compatability Data Base, it's the same "Super Drive" installed by Apple inside it's OEM machines up to a while ago (now it's the A07 that goes); furthermore, being an End Of Line product, you can now easly fetch it at very convenient prices. Drivers for OS 10.3.3 for such ATAPI device are easy to find. You will soon think how you've managed without a DVD recorder till now.

5. It was clear (from XLR8YOURMAC) that the Giga G-celerator is the way to go. I'm going to have to get past paying more for the upgrade than I did for the computer. Current G4's are shipping at 1.25Ghz. Be hip to have the same speed. I'll get there soon. - That's the way to go, my friend..... easy does it.

6. I've got a Radeon MacEdition (the one they don't make any longer) new in the box. I got it for the 9600, but I wonder if the DA would show a difference with that card? It's PCI. Really needs to be AGP to be zippy, I recon. You recon correctly. If that Radeon ME is the original PCI RADEON (no 7000 numbers on it), it's a better card than the new Radeon 7000 ME PCI card and you will fetch good money for it on e-Bay. You should have an AGP 4x slot on your mother board: is better to get an AGP compliant video card as it is much faster than any PCI one (for now.....). Besides, a newer AGP card could easly come with you, on your next PowerMac machine.

Hope the above will be of some further use to you.

Costa
    Last edited by Costa; 02-26-2005 at 02:23 AM.

bc,

Bare Feats has a SP vs DP as well as faster DP vs slower DP tests here http://www.barefeats.com/pm1000.html and more here http://www.barefeats.com/pm07.html

Give you some idea what is what with Photoshop. k

Wizzard,

Just a few quick comments. Will post back later.

1. Dimm reading PC-100-3-2-2S in 10.3.x. The System Profiler in 10.3.x is notorious for misreporting RAM. I dropped in 3 x 512MB Crucial PC133 2-2-2 in my recently aquired 733 DA (we're making Costa jealous) and that's exactly the same mis-report that I'm getting. Costa can if you give him the info give a full report; the stock Hynix in my DA was a PC133 3-3-3 which the 10.3.x System Profiler also misreported.

2. The SCSI card could also be a BTO (build to order) option direct from Apple. A $50 SCSI card for legacy devices. I had one in my BW, but no longer on the DA. If I recall the $50 SCSI card I had was an Adaptec 2930CU.

3. As for DVD-burning, along with the 106 Costa mentioned, you might also look at the Pioneer 107. Although you might find good prices on the 106s still in the channel. But do note that only 10.3.3 brings native support for the 107. I just dropped a 107 in mine (after finding one at a good price locally). It flies compared to my old 104. But I will eventually stick the 104 in an external case.

For native OS support and DVD Player, you'll want the thing mounted internally. It will also help with iDVD, although I think there's an easter egg which allows burning to external devices.

The Pioneer Superdrives (since Apple's been using them although with different firmware) are probably the best choice internally. They'll boot 9.x and X as well as getting you OS, iTunes, etc. support without resorting to patches, etc. Few hastles. Never had a problem with the 104. The 107s been worry free for 2 weeks (with 10.3.3 installed); although I suspect once I get to 9.x the drive might not be recognized...

Received a DVR107, Serial ATA card, and 160 Segate. Installation was a snap. Were running on that as I type. That Serial drive is fast too. I've got Intech's CD and will give it a tests this week-end.

The DVR107 was plug and play. I can't see how one could go wrong with this drive. I've graduated from slow CD-RW to DVD (potentially) at 8X, for about 130 bucks and a few twists of a screwdriver.

I received 2 sticks of 512 from the Gurus a few days ago. Profiler said they were PC-100 too. At least I know these are PC-133,C2. Not sure what to do with the third stick now. Can't tell anything about it except that it is Samsung.

spaz2, you mean . . . the DA does not have a zif? Shucks . . . well costa had about talked me out of hot rodding the 9600. But you know the idea is irresistable.

I will be getting that Giga card for the DA. Not sure which one to get. After you pass $500, anything between there an 1000, blisters about the same. What would the advantages of a duel processer be?

Then . . . what will I do with the old DA processer? No way to get it in the 9600?

Thanks for the good info. So far, seamless upgrade.

Lightbulb

quote:
    Originally posted by Wizzard501:
    ...I received 2 sticks of 512 from the Gurus a few days ago. Profiler said they were PC-100 too. At least I know these are PC-133,C2. Not sure what to do with the third stick now. Can't tell anything about it except that it is Samsung.

Samsung is one of the BIG players in the semicoductor business. It sells very high quality products. Again, if you can and if you wish, post me back here the small in-printing on the DRAM chips you can read on that Samsung module. I can thus see if you can safely hang on to it, or not.

Of course you could hot-rod your old 9600. As long as the money is there, everything is possible. The real question you have to answer, though, is: "Is it worth it?".

IMHO, due to the various limitations such older designed machine employs, you are much better off concentrating on wisely upgrading your more modern DA (which IMHO is one of the best G4 machines ever sold by Apple), so as to make it a solid computing machine for the next 3/4 years.
    Eventually, once you've finished and once your transition to Panther is complete (remember: you will have to spend some good money on upgrading your favourite apps to run them under OSX), if there is still some money left in your budget, you could then evaluate what you can do with your old 9600.

And, yes. Spaz2 was correct: the 466MHz CPU out of the DA needs to be mounted manually on a ZIF. In your shoes I'd rather look at those Sonnet's products for the 9600 I've linked to in my above post, eventually selling on eBay the old G4 CPU for some cash. Less hassle and stright forward upgrading.

Do your upgrades one-at-a-time, testing each one of them thoroughly before going into the next one, and take your time: don't rush into it. Easy does it.

Keep us informed on your progress, above all have fun and good luck.

Costa
    Last edited by TZ; 02-24-2005 at 12:52 PM.

I'm posting some of the results of a Intech Quickbench test of the Western Digital ATA stock hard drive versus the Serial ATA Segate I got from the Gurus a few days ago.

Xfer at 512k Seq Read Seq Write Rand R Rand W
    Serial Segate 52.93 69.77 35.66 39.99
    Wes Dig ATA 44.29 52.48 19.73 23.57

(not sure if the colums will line up when posted) - but . . .

The difference is noticable.

Horsepower requirements for iMovie are not steep but I have noticed if I am slewing thru a project, more hp helps. Slower hp causes the slewing video to break down, artifacts. Can't keep up. But not a biggie.

iDVD4 requires a minimum 733MHz G4 or faster. Reason is that there is considerable CPU crunching from the completed iMovie project to convert the file for iDVD burning. So less hp is going to take a lot more time before the actual burning starts in iDVD. Even the burn rate depends on which SuperDrive, the speed rating of the DVD you are burning to, and whether the SuperDrive recognizes that burn rate. k

Rick said:
    quote:
    The installer look sfor very specific hardware, like your DVD before it installs the applications for those things. You didn't actually have to reinstall, you could just copy the Movie Player from another computer and resolved it just as well

Yep the installer checks that. There's another alternative to specific apps (or bits and pieces) from install packages like what's on the CDs: Pacifist. That's a very handy utility to add to your tool box, especially if you only have 1 Mac.

Whenever Installer is used to install software, packages are in play -- be it the entire OS, OS update, or application. Pacifist will let you manually install/extract individual components (little things like a font to big things like applications) from those packages without doing the entire lot.

Lightbulb

Last edited by TZ; 02-24-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Default Giga Giggle

The Giga card arrived last Friday afternoon.

We’d already verified $0004.2.8f1 Boot ROM and OS ROM version 8.7 under OS 9.2.2. The card was jumpered for 11x multiplier or 1.467GHz when it came out of the box. We left it there. Dawned our grounding straps and followed the directions. Other than a bit of concern about whether the card was properly seated on the mobo conector (a complex union of tiny staubs and holes), the installation was very simple.

On boot, it snatches the desktop right to you. Other finder functions exhibit similar `elan. Program loading is accelerated. We re-booted into 9.2.2, tried to run MacBench, to see what the improvement was, that crashed. Re-booted and tested iTunes in 9.2.2. It crashed in the midst of that. So we re- jumped the card for a 10x multiplier and all has been stable since. No apparent loss in snappiness. System profiler correctly reports the processor speed.

The Giga fan is barely audible. A purrr. Handsome object, with the copper heat sink. The DA is a fine unit now.

The poor thing spend the week-end swallowing huge gulps of video. Home movies on DVDs. We’ve emerged into the current flow of popular personal computing. A bit tardy but with only our hair messed up - not trounced.

Folks, unlike some of the prior “upgrades” this one has been a very positive experience. Thanks to your kind attention we got directed to the upgrades that matter, were easy to install and that work good. We're tickled. Much obliged.

However, there is a movement here to upgrade our other two macs. It seems the youngin’ wants the hottest 9500 on earth. That may be another thread.

Default DP upgrade in SP DigAudio?

The Uni-N utility tells me that with rev. 11 this 733DA is OK for a dual-processor upgrade, but I'd like to know more about how or why the Memory Controller issue mentioned by Costa could make this a less than optimum choice. Help me here Costa, you said:

"Dual Processor upgrades, though tempting, do not carry the same rate of successful reports over single processor ones on machines which were originally designed for single processor operations. There is a long argument about this, but I still have to find a correct or reasonable answer to such issue."

and in a previous post;

"I am against fitting Dual Processors into machines originally designed for Single Processor operations, because you need to rely on third party software (non-Apple) to correctly address cache memory banks on BOTH CPUs, by the Memory Controller knowing that the backside bus on the logic board was originally designed for SP operations. I know of users who have done such upgrade, but I also know that for many of them hasn't been really a stright forward exercise..... (if you know what I mean).
    You never know what those third party softwares really do regarding the programming of your internal Memory Controller."

For me, stabilty is more important than raw speed.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

For conversations sake, I have one thing to say about Giga Dual CPU Upgrades: THEY ROCK!!!

MacGurus is advertising the hell out of Giga boards and we sell a boat load of the Duals. We have not had a single return on any since the first board we shipped. And that board was cooked because the manual was incorrect. (it said to test the board without the heatsink...duh)

That is an unbelievable QA rate from Giga. Not ONE return.

I installed a Dual 1.3 in LAurie' Quicksilver and it is very, very, very fast.

Picture of Laur's upgrade, click pic for larger image:
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rick,

To answer your question about temperature apps, in 10.3.3 my MDD DP with 7455 (Apollo) v3.2 CPUs, runs both ThermographX and Loudometer just fine. My QS/PF with dual 7457 CPUs, both apps report words to the effect that the CPU manufacturer has disabled CPU temperature monitoring.

In reality, it could still be because it is a QS, or that the PLogix software does not have temp monitoring enabled, or that the monitoring really is disabled by the manufacturer. No way to know. So I still use a Radio Shack digital indoor/outdoor with the outdoor probe situated over the rear/right hard drive 2-bay. Right now it says room temp 74.1F, inside the QS 90.1F. k

Rick,

Before you pull it, or while you're pulling it, can I ask you check the fit of something?

I was wondering whether the QS CPU fan/bracket fits beside the GD upgrade. One thing I like about the DA (and QS) is that additional CPU exhaust fan -- unlike the old B/W I had which relied solely on the PSU fan.

Of course the DA and QS have different mounting units but I suspect the smaller one from the QS would fit the DA. Just a question of whether there's enough clearance with the GD dual upgrade install.

How big is the fan on the GD dual upgrade anyway?

Thanks, E

biggles, go for it and keep me posted. We both have DA/733s, and I'm curious how it works out for you. Since aquiring a used Cube recently, I've got an additional older Mac in need of some upgrading but not enough cash to do both at once. Going to have to spread it out.

dual 1.3 GD upgrade now installed. How easy was that! The only flaw in the instructions was that there's no mention of the 2 screws holding the DA's plasic housing over the heatsink, they're in the same place as the ones illustrated as locating the fan assembly in the QS. Fifteen minutes, done!

It's fast! The only comparison I have at the moment is the Davec test in ProTools; 14 tracks with the 733, 25 with the GD dual, and even at the limit the meters and counters don't slow down at all! Oh yeah, and the visualizer in iTunes, 60fps vs something in the teens for the 733. More later, but first impressions? Awesome!

Costa, howzit? If you recall I was asking about the wisdom of putting dual upgrade in a single because of your concerns about the MC, but I've done it anyway and it really is awesome. Install was a breeze, and definitely no firmware needed. This really is plug and play. And talking of memory, I don't even know what's in this machine, I bought it used with 1x 512 and 2x 256, but of what manufacturer I don't know; it seems OK though.

TZ, I'll try not to burn it out, but it does get hot! Hotter than anything I've had before, but this is a whole new territory for me, this land of the seriously fast. I do wish the chip had the TAU enabled so that I could use TempMonitor or ThermographX. The old indoor/outdoor probe I have is inserted just under and in contact with the massive heatsink and right now it reads 118F. OC this to 1.5? Hmmmn...
    Xbench says it's type 7455(Apollo) v3.3; is that 7455A or B? With a name like Apollo it should be A, but I suspect that's too obvious! Can you enlighten me?

How does it compare to the 733? That's actually quite difficult to answer. Yes, it boots a bit faster, but the interface isn't noticeably slicker, the 733's no slouch remember, and I don't use really CPU-intensive apps. to the max. The main reason for having this machine is to run ProTools LE, but I use it in a very simple way and don't have huge numbers of tracks and plugins. The real eye-opener came when I ran the davec test in PT. I can select 90% CPU usage for PT maximum, any more and PT will quit. At 90% I get 25 record-enabled tracks with the same 5 plugins on each track and it runs flawlessly. Compare that with 14 tracks for the 733; but the max'ed out 733 also displayed very slow screen redraws, the meters and counters just stuttered. The max'ed out GD's graphics run exactly as if the session had but one empty track! They continue to run at full speed, and not only that but they're doing it right now, as I write this, drawing waveforms for 25 tracks, meters bouncing fast and smooth, the Jolly Roger to my right waving in the cyberbreeze just like normal, Expose's fast as lightning, and I'm posting in Safari. You know, I should probably open iTunes and have some music too! There, that's better. No, it won't do the Visualizer as well, ProTools tells me I'm running out of CPU power if I try that. I guess this is the real advantage of Dual Processors, even though PT isn't optimised for them. Does it mean that the Mac's smart enough to run the application on one and use the other for the graphic function?

Sorry, I'm rambling on a bit. I'll sum it up by saying that for me the machine doesn't feel hugely faster, but gradually I'm realising that the real and very impressive difference is that it simply doesn't slow down under load. It's not only very fast, it's very very powerful, and I love it.

Costa,

The PowerLogix firmware upgrade was to allow the use of 7457 processors. The firmware in a Mac G4 is able to recognize several different processors but 7457 wasn't one of them. So an update was necessary that told the firmware boot process that it was OK to treat the 7457 as if it was a 7455.

My apologies for not yelling your way. Won't happen again.

biggles,

The 7455 is a b model. The b is quite capable of being overclocked, I don't know many who have tried it with a Dual model. It gets trickier with dual and at times requires voltage changes as well. I need to do some studying before I have any recommendations regarding this.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ciao Rick,

I hope you've realized I was just joking....

Quote Originally Posted by ricks
    Costa,

The PowerLogix firmware upgrade was to allow the use of 7457 processors. The firmware in a Mac G4 is able to recognize several different processors but 7457 wasn't one of them. So an update was necessary that told the firmware boot process that it was OK to treat the 7457 as if it was a 7455.
    Yes, I understand that.
    But my question is:
    The Memory Controller addresses CPU requests one-at-a-time and returns RAM readings for cache registries updating.
    With a Dual Processor outfit, does the GigaDesing hardware automatically share between one CPU cache registry and the other, the info returned by the MC on the backside bus? Or everything is handled to the cache registry belonging to "the CPU which had placed the query initially"? Or is there some kind of software which tells the Memory Controller what to do (who to hand the RAM readings to)?
    Vice-versa, when the CPUs hands over to the MC the results of their elaborations?

My understanding is that the GigaDesing upgrade is so well done that the MC will always act as the CPU and cache registries are ONE only; thus it doesn't matter what the MC needs to know. In other words, the two CPUs converge their data into the single backside bus to which the MC is connected to automatically, indipendently from each other and without conflicts.
    Does it make sense to you?
    Can you investigate?
    Can you address my curiosity to someone or somewhere?

Rick, .... let me tell you.... These GigaDesign stuff are just GREAT and MacGurus is doing fine in keeping them in the store!
    Costa

Ab ovo usque ad mala