Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Linux variations

Hey!
    Anyone have success installing a non-Mac OS on a drive connected to a Sonnet Ultra66 Tempo PCI card?

I just failed to install Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server 1.2.1 on an IDE drive in my PM7500. The YDL installer didn't recognize either of the drives on the Sonnet card. I've also discovered that the BeOS 4.5 installer fails to recognize IDE drives in this configuration

Both installers see only my SCSI drive on the 7500 native _internal_ SCSI-2 bus. I haven't done the grunt work of testing whether YDL or BeOS installers see a SCSI drive on the 7500 _external_ SCSI-1 bus.

Anyone know if YDL can see anything but the first SCSI bus?

------------------
    ricercar

my free 7500 is nickel and diming me to death.

[This message has been edited by ricercar (edited 23 March 2001).]

I had heard that people were having good luck with the sonnett card and YDL. I haven't tried it myself, YDL's running on my other machine for now, but I had hoped to move it over. I'll run pdisk on that machine tuesday when I get back, and I'll let you know the results...

I am also having the same problem gett YDL and BeOS to see my IDE drives on the Sonnet ATA card. Pdisk will not see these drives. As for BeOS, unless they have recently added IDE support to the OS, (which I doubt, since trying to get any kind of answer from Jean-Louis and Cie. is tatamount to have several root canals performed on the same day.) probably will never happen.

ricercar (or is it recicar?(recicar is an ancient dance that originated in either France or Italy. I don't have my copy of Donald Jay Grout's History of Western Music here, so I can't be sure)),

I installed YDL on my exteral SCSI drives connected to my 7500 with no problem. Ditto with BeOS v.5 before I started looking at YDL. What is driving me bonkers is that I have a small partition with MacOS 8.6 installed (since BeOS won't work with Mac OS 9.x.x) on one of my IDE drives, and installed the BeOS Boot Launcher. I can launch BeOS here no problem, but I still can't see the IDE drives.

meistersinger

dogbert,

Could you give me a blow-by-blow account on how you installed Yellow Dog Linux on your machine at work? I have attempted to partition one of my IDE drives connected to my Tempo card with pdisk, but still can't see the card. What did you have to do in order to partition for YDL?

meistersinger

Greetings,

This may be a bit esoteric, but:

1.) Are there Linux emulators for OSX (i.e., for running Linux apps in OSX [in particular ColdFusion and a decent relatational db])?

2.) Has anyone tried getting Apache (the web server) to run in OSX?

3.) In particular has anyone tried the above with the new iBook?

I am a web developer who has had to deal mainly with NT over the last couple of years (other than a couple of gigs with Solaris)...man, I tell you, if I can get OSX to do what I need done...boy, boy, boy!!!

OSX may steal the limelight from Linux and _truly_ be the way that Unix gets to the desktop!!

Thank you in advance for any info!!

revi

1.) No Linux emulation, but I assume you're more interested in running X Windows (XFree86) and Open Source programs like GIMP. If that's the case, check out XonX at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/xonx

2.) OSX includes the Apache Web Server. Just turn on Web Sharing to start it.

3.) Yes. The iBook works with all of the above!

Good luck!

LasVegas,

Thank you very much for the info...at this stage I'm probably going to continue using my 'legacy' Macs for the graphics and the like (until Adobe, Quark, MotU, and the like commit more completely to OSX).

What I am particularly interested in is OSX as a web application platform...I really like ColdFusion for its RAD (Rapid App Dev) environment, easy database connectivity, and security and communications implementations. I have also developed apps with 'asp' (which I don't like) and a bit with Perl (which is way cool and powerful, but I like giving clients apps they can relatively easily learn to maintain themselves). Solaris is really cool, but very expensive (at least on the Sparc hardware side).

Frankly, I am genuinely excited about the potential I see in OSX as a new, powerful, and easily maintainable server platform (granted it's built on BSD, which is not new, but the spin that Apple brings to the fray is very refreshing).

Anything that can be brought to the market as a cost-effective alternative to 'Redmond' is good for the industry...

Thanks Again!

revi

I really didn't know where to post this question, so I decided to post it here.

Not that you have to know why to help, but here's my reasoning for the following question http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000092.html

-I think I know what images to download for Red Hat's Alpha-Linux, but I'm wondering what's going to happen when I download the images when they're unzipped (they're assuming that this will be done via a PC, so I'm using PC jargon). IF they're just disc images, I can go ahead and burn a ISO 9660, but if they require compiling, I think I'd be screwed and have wasted 20+ hours of downloading (unfortuantly I only have 56K dial-up)

I'll be using Toast to burn the disc
    However, I haven't burned a ISO 9660 disc that will be used on a Alpha-NT Workstation.

Is there anything specific I need to be aware of?

I apologize for this being a very vague post. But if there's any Linux users lurking around here, they have a chance to really shine (hint, hint, hint)!!!!

------------------
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"

They should be ISOs.

I d/led RedHat for Intel, and burned the images with Toast, and all went smoothly. One thing I would do is copy EVERYTHING you d/l, so if you flarf the image somehow, you've got a fresh copy.

I've also used Toast to burns Solaris images, and if those work, anything should.

thanks chris. It seems that anytime I have a question about this Alpha machine I'm trying to get up and running, you're the only one interested. Wow, you've burned Solaris Images and they've worked?

Sweet, that means that I can finaly get Star Office working on my Linux PC.

------------------
    Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"

Chris is right. ISO files are automatically supported in Toast. Just drag the ISO file into the Toast window and burn. Likely the resulting CD will be in 9600 format, but it doesn't really matter. It's the image that's burned, not the format.

Netatalk will be a different story. Current versions of the Linux Kernel have built in support for AppleTalk networking, although you may still need to install Netatalk. This will be a compile job. Don't stress too much about it though. Just print out the HOWTO and follow the step by step instructions. Then if you run into a brick wall, come back and ask about it.

Hi List. I am trying to help a friend of mine :
    G-4 Dual 450, IDE Master HD : Maxtor 30GB 'Stock', OS 9.0.4 , Apple HD drivers, HFS standart
    IDE Slave HD : IBM Deskstar 60, came new with OS 9.2 , maybe a factory installed rescue Syst
    folder. ( it was sealed )
    I have formated this IBM with FWB's HDT 4.0 ( quick, HFS standart ), and partitioned
    ( tot. 6 ). BTW low level would take some 40 hours...
    Then made on this Slave HD a SW restore with Restore CD Software that came with the G-4
    on the 5. partition.
    Trying to boot from the slave ( configured in startup Controlpanel and Sys Folder blessed )
    goes wrong, the Master HD starts up.
    I can boot though with *shift+option+command+delete* the Slave HD.
    ???
    I didn't change the jumpers of Master/Maxtor HD, only configured the Slave/IBM
    to Slave Modus..
    We would like to use FWB drivers, to be able to change partition sizes later, and because of
    'Device Copy' !
    Any prefs that have to be trashed ?
    Please respond as well to my address below privately.
    Thanks a lot and best regards
    Klaus

While Apple's drive setup does not have partition size adjusting, Apple does support device copy. It's actually quite easy! But first¬Ö Why Standard HFS? Any drive over 2GB should be formated in Extended HFS. Otherwise the block size gets way out of bounds!

To device copy any drive to another drive equal to or larger than the contents of the original:

1) Boot MacOS CD (8.6 or newer)

2) Locate the application Apple Software Restore located at:
    Software Installers:Upgrader Files

3) Drag the original drive to the Apple Software Restore icon.

4) Select Destination disk if not preselected in lower portion.

5) Verify that Erase before restoring is selected in middle portion.

6) Click the Restore button.

Let it do its thing! This technique exactly duplicated the original drive restoring all icon and window positions as well as aliases!

Thanks a lot, Lasvegas
    HFS: This thread has been discussed in our Forum motu-mac, and even motu didn't
    find any benefits in performance for an audio / midi workstation, so I kept
    compatibility with older hfs disks...
    The software restore with an existing device via installer cd is good news for me.
    But what could be the source of the mentioned boot problem, this is my main
    question. Should I gtrash some / which prefs ?
    Best regards
    Klaus

BTW - low-level formatting is NEVER needed unless you are changing the Block size of the drive. I have seen this mentioned several times as a possible 'fix' for some drive ailment on various threads here and elsewhere (& PC forums as well).

from the manual for FWB 4.5 hdtk, pg 276 (pdf)

"Blocks are logically created on a disk during low-level formatting. Blocks are the minimum storage unit to which data is saved. HDT can change a disk’s block size to your specifications when it performs a low-level format or when you create a new volume from unallocated free space (if the device supports block size changes)."

Perhaps some mega-Gig file sizes will have improved throughput results with larger blocks. Certainly off this topic, but I've not seen anyone rec this even on forums like Adobe's Premiere forum, for example.

I've even had some 'pros' confuse this with a Surface Scan...definitely not the same thing. Though, a surface scan can, theoretically, be a good thing to do.
    I'm not even sure if a surface scan CAN be performed on a Mac.

Mixing brands of hard drives...not necessarily a good thing...
    Perhaps this is not relevant to your problem or the Apple implementation of onboard EIDE support on recent macs.

However, I more than once, in the peecee world, have had different brands of EIDE (ata/33, 66 et al) hard drives NOT coexist well at all on the same EIDE controller; let alone on the same cable.

Sometimes a drive wouldn't show in the BIOS during POST, other times the Windoze System control panel wouldn't show one of them. Usually, an IBM 75 or 60gxp was involved and invariably, always showed up. My last experience a couple months ago had a Maxtor drive playing 2nd fiddle to an IBM 60gxp. Of course, improper master/slave configs can produce this result...and that is what you hope for if a drive doesn't show up as it should.

Historically, there have been caveats in the peecee world (Dumb Operating System) about problems when mixing hard drives from different manufacturers. My experience has been that 'most' will mix together well.

[This message has been edited by DHB (edited 06 October 2001).]

You cannot low level format an IDE drive. This is not a feature of the mechanism. I've known of people that tried to bypass the protections and write a low level format anyway, but I've never known of any drive that survived the attempt. If your driver software offers low-level formatting, it's actually doing a media verify only.

Did you make sure that OS 9 is installed on the lowest partition of the Slave drive? While Linux and OS X will boot from higher partitions, OS 9 needs to be in the first.

Thanks for replying !
    I used HDT 4.0 to quick format. But I installed the OS 9.0.4 on this slave drive
    on the 5 th partition. From Your replies I read this could cause the problem, which is, again :
    Choosing the slave drive as startup volume in startup cp doesn't work.
    But holding down *shift+opt+com+del* makes boot the slave drive o.k.
    Otherwise no problems till now.
    Maybe someone knows, if OS 9.1 or 9.2.1 can be on the 5 th partition on a slave drive ?
    Thanks a lot
    Klaus

Yes and no¬Ö If it is the only OS on the drive, and the drive is Master, it will boot from any partition. If the drive does not meet the above criteria, OS 9.x must be on the first (data) partition.

Thanks a lot, Lasvegas
    inthis case I could try exchanging the master/slave configuration between the
    two drives ? Then, the new master would have the OS on the 5 th partition,
    and the new slave would have the OS on the one and only partition.Right ?
    TIA and best regards
    Klaus