Thread: kernel panic in Classic

Default kernel panic in Classic

I have a flatscreen iMac G4 running OS 10.2.8. I use two applications regularly that do not have versions supported by OS 10 so I have to use them in Classic. Everything was working just as it should, I haven't installed or connected anything new, but all of a sudden I can't open Classic at all -- not by opening either of the applications that run in Classic or by opening from System Preferences. I repaired disc permissions, repaired the disc, ran Disk Warrior (which found only two very minor porblems), reinstalled 9.2.2 but nothing works. I can start Classic in system preferences with extensions off, but haven't been able to identify an extension causing the problem. The extensions all load fine, the blue status bar gets almost all the way to the end and then the four-language "restart" window comes up. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

MLH,

welcome. Sorry, I'm just the janitor, and there's nobody here but me!

Thanks for the detailed post. I don't use Classic at all so can't be much help, but I'm sure someone will be along to sort it out soon.

In the meantime, can you find any evidence of the culprit in a Log in the sidebar of the Console window? Maybe in /Library/Logs>Console>"user"...

biggles.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Classic is best off if you actually try removing the Extensions folder and Control Panels folder totally. Then let OS X update your Classic system - which it will ask to do when you launch it.

You may want to have two system folders. Even have one on another drive or partition (or FireWire). You can also put Classic on a large enough disk image that has read/write permissions. And backup your current OS 9 to a disk image.

A corrupt preference, extension, or system file itself. If you have added extensions or need extensions for your programs, those could be a problem. And then there is Classic Quark 4.x which was trouble.

Default Thank you!

Thank you, TZ. I removed the two folders, restarted and everything was fine. I was able to put back the control folder and a few essential extensions (mostly relating to my scanner since I use it occasionally for OCR) with no difficulties. I really appreciate the quick reply.

Default further info

For the sake of anyone else who has this problem -- Removing the Extensions folder worked, but then I had various things that wouldn't work properly. As a "quick fix" I also found that I could start Classic with the Extensions folder removed and then put it back and everything worked fine. However, I had to remove it again before quitting Classic or I'd have another kernel panic on the next startup. But removing the Preferences folder seems to have totally solved the problem, even with the entire set of extensions restored to its previous state. (I've held on to the old preferences just in case, but so far everything seems quite happy to create new preferences where needed and nothing has gone wrong.)

Lightbulb

In Classic, under the Advanced tab, you can tell it to "use Mac OS 9 Preferences in my home folder" which is what I use.

I also use Conflict Catcher 9 to scan for corrupt preferences.

But yes, moving the Preferences folder out of the System is often one troubleshooting tip with problems.

Older control strip modules could also cause problems for Standard Mac OS 9.1 and later. Some needed to load or have more memory. And some extensions or "appe" type extension applications should set preferred memory to much more than default. though that may not be a factor anymore.

Glad you find the real cause of the problem(s).