Thread: iMac DV trouble

Default iMac DV trouble

Hello To All!

Let me start by writing that this is such a great BB,You guys are TRUE GURU"S

I have an iMac DV I replaced the oe HD about 2 years ago to a maxtor 20gig HD and the past 8 months or so the OE mouse "hockey puck" started to freeze...replaced with a new optical mouse no problem's

Now while I was away on bus. the mouse froze so I replace the optical with another OE hockey puck .just like new again.

Now the problem started all over again.
    I deleted the pref for the mouse etc

replaced the maxtor with the OE HD still the mouse is frozing in the left corner under the apple,by the way running OS 9.2

I CAN'T navitgate with the keyboard very limited ie tried to reinstall but again can't navitgate the inner windows with the keyboard UGGGH

I just went as far as buying a new 60 gig HD maxtor tonight no good

Things I have done...new battery,reset cuda button or power managment button,reset pram,nvram back to optical mouse. is it time to play Elvis and take out the 38 special..

Please help me I'm on my old powerbook G3 "kanga"250 mhz 9.1
    slow but reliable

but I need to invoice my customers for December and I did'nt back up before I went away.

Any Info,help is appriciated.I"m at my wits end almost 48hrs later send HELP
    Thanks
    T

I have a toll free number if anyone prefers to talk 1-866-287-1033
    e-mail tad@tadsvces.com

Hi Tad,

So are you saying that by plugging in a different mouse that the cursor moves again instantly? Or do you have to reboot to get the cursor freed up?

If it is a mouse/keyboard thing, then it sounds like a USB problem. Maybe hardware, or maybe software. Tried both ports on the imac for keyboard and mice? Anything else plugged into USB that might be causing problems?

You might clarify what is plugged in where to rule USB hardware stuff out.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default more info

Unclemac,
    thank you for the reply

there are tow usb ports on the imac but when I tried a usb optical mouse it did'nt move, nothinig else is connected but the keyboard & mouse.

the same problem occured when I replaced the HD with the OE HD running 9.0
    the mouse was frozen in the upper left corner under the apple.

My other concern is when I installed the NEW 60gig HD right out of the box
    and running the os9.1 CD to install, the system did'nt ask me to initalize the new HD. So I ended up with the MOUSE frozen in the top left corner.....

can I download a new BIOS or firmware?

THANKS again
    best
    Tad

Lightbulb

I'm jumping in and confess to not knowing iMacs.

Does the iMac support 9.2.1+ or is it somewhat like the Beige G3?
    Best USB support drivers are the USB DDK 1.5.5f1
    www.macupdate.com will find it

Does the mouse need drivers?
    Bad USB port?
    plugged into k/b? directly into USB port?
    - (assume you tried all combinationss)
    Corrupt finder or system prefs.
    Extension damaged or extension conflict.
    Run Disk Warrior 2.1.1
    Use Conflict Catcher 9 to scan system folder for damaged resources.
    Do NOT use an OEM 9.1 (often for iMac or eMacs that cause trouble inother systems).

Boot into Open Firmware (command option OF)
    type the commands

reset-nvram
    - (not sure it will work, if it does skip next command)
    init-nvram
    set-defaults
    reset-all

That should clear up any corruption in NVRAM. OldWorld Macs don't support the reset-nvram which NewWorld does. Beige G3 and some iMac and PowerBooks can use the init-nvram command

USB cables for mice can get pinched etc. I had to replace MS Intellimouse Optical (I didn't see you mention an important item - make and model of USB optical.)

Tad,

the big caveat here is that everything which follows was done in OS X.

I read your post just after I'd forced a shut down on my old B&W. It's not relevant, but this is what I'd been doing. Before I put the old Smurf back in the closet I figured I'd run DiskWarrior on the drives for good measure, which I did. On restart after running DW from the CD, I had exactly the same symptoms as you have on your iMac DV. I've seen this before, and assumed that another restart would clear it. My B&W has a 500MHz G4 Sonnet, and is connected to a 15" Sony TFT display.

I use the same display with my G4 DigAudio, and from time to time used to get a corrupt screen on start up. I figured out that the corruption could be fixed by either changing the resolution or, much easier, simply switching the display off and on again. After I installed the latest ATI ROM update, those problems disappeared. I installed the latest ATI Displays software at the same time.

When I was doing all the buggering about with the B&W as described in the thread above, I was using the OS cloned from my DigAudio. One of the things I did while I had it handy was to run the ATI ROM update on the Radeon 7000 in the B&W.

At the end of that exercise, after running DW, and the cursor froze, I just forced the shut down, thinking I'd sort it out some other time. Then I saw your post, so I fired up the ol' Smurf again. Same issue. Reset PRAM, and NVRAM, still no joy. Tried Safe Boot. Voila! No more frozen cursor. Inspected the syslog in Console, nada. Checked the Crash Logs, and there under ATI logs a whole lot of (to me) unintelligible guff with ATI written all over it. I Trashed the ATI prefs and tried a restart. No joy. Safe Booted again, and re-installed the ATI Displays software. All is now well! Why? Don't know!

Like I said, this was all in OS X. But maybe try the OS9 equivalent of Safe Boot, Extensions Off. Hold Shift as you start, but I'm sure you know that.

Hope this helps.

biggles.
    Last edited by biggles; 11-11-2004 at 04:08 PM.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Default 2nd update

I went out today and bought a new apple pro optical mouse $49.00 dollars later all is good.

THANKS for all the great replies.

Now that I have the new 60 gig HD Should I just install OSX or should I install 9.1 and then update the firmware. instead of OSX

What do you all think?

Best
    Tad

Tad,

glad you got sorted out with the new mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by tadsvces
    Now that I have the new 60 gig HD Should I just install OSX or should I install 9.1 and then update the firmware. instead of OSX
    Tad
    Could you clarify that a bit, I'm not sure just where you're at or where you want to get to.

If you don't have Panther I'd be inclined to hold off until Tiger hits the stores.

biggles.

Smile

Biggles

I Have the OSX cd that I never installed.

Should I really wait for tiger? Can I install tiger over OSX??

Anyrate what would you suggest that I do, I have the 9.1 CD

will tiger allow me to work in classic 9 for my older needed software?

I just purchased quickbooks pro for mac OS 9 or mac OSX

how about partitioning my new 60 gig how many1,2?

Thanks for any info
    Best
    tad

Tad,

should you wait for Tiger? Yes. Tiger is OS X, just the latest incarnation.

If you have OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) or 10.3 (Panther), I'd go ahead and install it. If it's version 10.1, I'd say forget it, it's beta at best, wait for Tiger. You have to buy Jag, or Panther, and Tiger next. May as well hang on for Tiger if your in that boat.

I don't know about Classic in Tiger, but since your iMac will boot in OS9 that won't be a problem.

I assume that Quickbooks is accounting software. So you probably have files that you can't afford to lose. Do you have a backup strategy?

As for partitioning, I suggest a 20GB partition for the OS and Applications, and the rest for your files. That way you can make changes to the OS without having to worry about moving your data files.

biggles.

Biggles,

As for partitioning, I suggest a 20GB partition for the OS and Applications, and the rest for your files. That way you can make changes to the OS without having to worry about moving your data files.

So tonight I will partition per your suggestion and install 9.1, I will also wait for tiger.

Thank you again for your support.

And yes quickbooks pro is for accounting.

Best
    Tad
    http://www.tadsvces.com

Tad,

you don't say which version of OS X you have, nor what kind of backup strategy. The one and only hard-drive in your iMac will fail, eventually. That's an old law, or charter, or something. And it's guaranteed to do so at the worst possible moment. If you don't already have a plan, do take a look here. I'm pretty sure your iMac has a FireWire port, and these FW cases are the mutts nuts.

biggles.

Hi again Tad,

Your new HD must be jumpered to master or it will not boot to OS X, if when you take the plunge and install X -any version.

Be sure that your firmware is up tp date (4.1.9 is the latest I believe for slot loader imacs) before you do any OS X update.

If you forget you can KILL your imac.

Yell if you need assistance.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin