Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 10.3.6 update.......

Question 10.3.6 update.......

Has anyone done it yet?
    TZ I know you probly are testing it right now. How is it?
    Just looking for some preinstall results. I can't find anything on apple discussions yet.
    If it wasn't for you I wouldn't be me

Did two machines at work: My 1.25 MDD G4 with the downloaded delta upgrade from 10.3.5, and a coworker's upgraded AGP G4 using Software Update from 10.3.3. No real testing yet, but no issues or problems with either box.

Won't have an opinion until Monday or Tuesday....

Really waiting for the Combo.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb Combined Update 10.3.6

Combined update 91.7 MB is now here.
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...te_10_3_6.html

Went with Software Update (Download package) on MDD and went fine.
    Used the 34MB Standalone update on B&W. Works. Took a long time after for the optimizing routines, even though it uses 15K boot drive on 39160 in the faster 66 MHz slot.

Downloading the 92MB Combined Update takes 15 minutes on 768K DSL.

I went for the massive Combined update. Took close to 30 minutes over Airport/wireless setup.

No problems to report using the Combined update. Dumped my caches, include the extension caches after words just in case.

Of course, TZ's advice always in play. Keep/make a backup in case something goes wrong.

Supposed to be new ATI drivers. Seem to have fixed a flicker I used to see with Mozilla when big pages were completed downloaded. During the download the pages would render, but the 'final' render was preceded by a flicker -- seems to be gone now.

Lightbulb

Eric,

That is wireless via satellite DSL of course, right?

I guess 3MB per minute is still quite good. Can't image what 3Mbps cable would be

When an installer runs it is suppose to touch
    Extensions.kextcache
    Extensions.mkext

Which then triggers a full rebuilt. Unlike ATTO installers in the past that skipped some of the rules.

The ATI Displays 4.4.1 was posted recently. Is that going to be newer than what is in this? There is a bug in 4.4.1 affecting ATI mobility Radeons that is fixed in 4.4.2.

Will be interesting to see what people blame or find with this update.

Did the Software Update for 10.3.6 on my QS/PF. So far so good. Think I'll hold off on the MDD. k

TZ,

Yeah DSL. My Linksys all-in-one ADSL model, router, switch, access point is on the other side of the room near the phone jack. My DA got moved across the room. So rather than have a big fat ethernet cable or a tiny RJ-11 phone cord running down the center of the room (or trying moving a large bookshelf to run the cable behind), I just activated the Airport card and set it up. Big downloads like this are slowing than a wired connection, but it really wasn't bad.

I know installers that install kernel extensions are supposed to get rid of those extensions caches. But I've seen others fail to do it. Since I use TT System now to dump my caches, I let ditch the extension caches as well.

As far as ATI Displays v4.4.1 (and even v4.4.2) that's not included in the 10.2.6 update -- I checked the package. Leaving aside documentation, the ATI Displays contains 3 items, ATI Displays utility, kernel extension (ATITVOut.kext), and pref pane (a shortcut launcher to ATI Displays utility). There aren't any graphics drivers in it, just that extension for the S-video out which only the retails cards have.

v4.4.1 marks the first official release of ATI Displays that works with OEM as well as retail cards.

v4.4.1 does let OEM card owners take advantage of OpenGL Overrides section. The release of v4.4.1 also means that there is no longer a nead to patch ATI Displays to work OEM cards, which was how it was done in the past.

v4.4.1 correctly identifies the 9600Pro in my DA. Before that, ATI Displays couldn't do that unless I applied the patch.

Along with TV-Out, the other main item in ATI Displays that won't be of use of OEM cards is Versavision, which lets you rotate the screen 90, 180, 270 degrees. That's hardware based, and OEM cards lack the hardware. So ATI Displays will gray out those settings.

Lightbulb

I was thinking about one of the $99 OEM 9600s that OWC is selling. Sort of a trimmed down version of the 9800 with less RAM - but fine for single monitor. And you have it working in DA? two pieces of scotch tape fix?

A problem with links in Mail not opening the web page in OmniWeb 5.1 if OmniWeb wasn't launched and running, was not fixed with the .6 patch of 14MB, but did seem to be after applying the combined update. That is/was a known bug that was being worked on.

I was thinking about one of the $99 OEM 9600s that OWC is selling
    That's an 9600 Pro, and less than I paid. But when I bought it there were Mac's still shipping with it. Pro's been replaced with the XT. I read that the hack works with the XT as well.

Yep, just two pieces of tape and it will work. (Mine looks like electrical tape -- the guy I bought it from on Ebay, stuck it on for me without any extra charge. )

To get power to the AGP port requires more. But from what I hear the AGP port still functions (without power) via converter to DVI and VGA monitors. Still haven't gotten a new DVI monitor to check it out. Take a look here. If I recall you don't have an AGP monitor, so that's should be moot.

Currently I use the DVI port and a DVI-to-VGA connector to my old VGA monitor which works fine. If you're running a single monitor, then the DVI is right there for DVI or VGA.

Along with the RAM, the 9600 is also a bit more limited than the 9800; only 4 pipelines in 9600 versus 8 in the 9800. The 9800 does have higher/latest versions of some of those whiz-bang shading features, etc. I'm not a gamer, so I can live without that stuff. Don't expect to be blown away by this card. But for me an definite improvement over the GF 2MX in everyday tasks from the Finder, Preview, to PS, browsers, etc.

But for $99 I'd seriously consider it. 9600 should get us CoreImage in Tiger as well as work with Motion -- two things I wanted without the pain to wallet (and the heat/power/noise issues) of the 9800. Also, note the heatsink on the 9600 Pro, there's no fan, which I recall was a problem for you with the 9800.

I guess with OWC, you could always get store credit (and pay the restocking fees) if you really think it sucks.

Lightbulb

So I could see a boost in normal use from the 9600 Pro over the OEM 9000. I think it is 400 MHz vs 250 MHz and maybe wider memory bus. I guess the only way to find out is try, right? I was thinking I need to save my pennies to afford the MDD 1.42DP (using 1.25SP now). And yes, the heat and noise from the 9800 was such that I sold the card to kaye.

You could see a boost over the 9000. There's that thread started I think by Randy. He gave some Openmark scores with his retail 9000, I contribued my 9600 scores. He has a QS 733, and I tested it with my DA 733. Not completely apples to apples but could give you some indication.

I never owned the 9000, so I can't give you a real head to head. Maybe there's something at barefeats or xlr8yourmac.

Well, if you're thinking you'll need eventually to upgrade the graphics card, then $99 ain't a lot. That's cheaper than the new 128MB retail 9000.

Sometimes you gotta take the good deals when you see them. At least there's some warranty on it; I took the risky Ebay route with mine...

Lightbulb

Eric,

I looked on AYM and didn't find enough - except a thread of others wanting to do the same. We'll know Wednesday or Thursday. Don't know that I'll see a difference.

I had some CINEBENCH results from 9000 and 9800 but I don't know if I kept them around. And kaye did the same, but having a 1.25DP vs SP made a difference there. Those results would help.

You're right, sometimes you go with what's available. And the 9000 Pro isn't available for 10 days and is $40 more.

I swore off upgrades for my B&W and Beige. Though I would love to drop Sonnet 1GHz into either (or both!) the Giga MDD DP comes first.

You're right, sometimes you go with what's available. And the 9000 Pro isn't available for 10 days and is $40 more.
    And the 9000 won't support CoreImage in Tiger and can't run Motion. Not that you're planning on doing motion graphics, but who knows what apps will come out that will also take advantage of CoreImage.

We'll know Wednesday or Thursday. Don't know that I'll see a difference.
    Wow sounds like you're going for it. Probably see some difference, although if you check my DA thread with benchmarks, you'll note that some of the benchmarking apps, e.g. QuickBench, don't really like the 9600 Pro. But in Cinebench the difference can be seen. Openmark I did better with max frame rates, but the 9600 peeters out before the 2MX, reducing the overall score.

Yeah upgrades. After today, I think I can take a breather -- come up for air. A good amount of DA and Cube upgrading (CPUs, HDs, cards, etc.) in about a 1.5 month period -- I'm whipped.

I'm good for awhile and no purchased stuff left waiting to be used -- like your old UL3D which sat in a box for about 2 months. That card rocks! To make myself feel better, I'm considering that the ATTO cost $100, the Trio $70 (not the other way around) since the ATTO is turning out to be far more useful than the Trio.

Future (paycheck) looking, maybe some SATA HDs and card to clear out the vestages of the old PATA. Actually at the moment, I just released I really don't have an internal FCP media drive. Go to do some house-cleaning and repartitioning -- still stuck half-way between the old pre-Cheetah and the current Cheetah-booting setup.

Default It is always interesting to see where a thread will go.

Well so far I have only found on thread that had anything negative about 10.3.6 so i am going to install it on my quicksilver first, run a few powertests on it (don't get me wrong they are hardly Guru level tests) See how it runs with all of our necessary equipment. Will post back any results I get, along with what and how tested.

Going to keep it off the G5's for a couple more days, Last thing I need is one of the graphics guys with a frozen computer in my ear.......They are only happy when they are creating.
    If it wasn't for you I wouldn't be me

Lightbulb

There are reports surfacing of a number of issues.
    http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...04110800570385

One of which is problems with DVD and the Radeon 9800.
    Apparently the latest included 9700 drivers (which is what the 9800 uses) are the culprit. This is NOT the first time that the 9800 has had problems, either.

My calculator is broken too! I can't reproduce the bugs mentioned in the Macfixit article, but using the exponent functions produces some strange results! I don't think I'll be relying on it for a while.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Yep, DVD Player no longer renders video (sound is ok) on the B&W in full screen mode - at least until the control pod disappears from the screen. Seems to work OK with a partial screen unless you try and change settings from the menu bar during play - in which case video also disappears.

Lightbulb 10.3.6 problem feedback

Excellent report on known problems xlr8yourmac 10.3.6 feedback

Well, I'm confused. I see 10.3.6 listed as 34 mg, but my software update application lists it as only 14 mb.

I was only offered the plain update from my software update app, not the combo. I prefer the combo. How do I get the combo update option on my software update app? If I download the combo from apple support, will I be able to download and save a copy to burn on CD?

Laura

Lightbulb

Laura, Software update will offer the smallest possible patch update. Down below is the link to the combined update which we prefer to do. Apple menu -> Mac OS X Software.... will take you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by laura
    How do I get the combo update option on my software update app? If I download the combo from apple support, will I be able to download and save a copy to burn on CD?
    You just do as you would with any software download that is a .dmg file and mounted it and double-click on the package. You can even mount multiple disk image packages and run them all consecutively. The installer will que them up. There is more of an FAQ on 10.3.x updates in Help. I keep a folder of updates and then burn to CD monthly or so as needed with the most recent 500MB of changes, updates, installers for everything.