Thread: 10.3.6: won't let me download

Default 10.3.6: won't let me download

Hi,

Since updating to 10.3.6 have been unable to download files through the internet. I have tried on both Safari and Firefox. I have tried various sites: Microsoft download center, apple support downloads, roxio update site, adobe acrobat..I get the message that there's a prbolem with decoding..either the download can't decode something or the something can't decode the download.

This isn't just being knocked offline...which I do experience from time to time.

Unless this is fixed, I'll have to go back to 10.3.5 because i have to download the Microsoft Office 51mb security update for Word x.

I will try to check mac sites in depth..I know some had mention of a problem with downloading.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Laura

Lightbulb

Didn't you have this problem before 10.3.6? seems like we have one thread on 10.3.6 and another on Safari. I'd just piggy-back onto an existing conversation.

And I'm sure I would be repeating myself to ask or offer the same ideas with any similar problem, as well as to read macfixit (which I think you do already) which has info on Safari but not with failure to download.

To say it doesn't download, then does anything happen? nothing? have you made sure that both browsers (which have their own unique preference for where downloads are to go) is the destination you want? and, that you have "permission" to write to the folder? ideally have the downloads go to non-system drives.

PS: would you please go into your User CP and edit your profile so that it shows your Mac configuration (G5 1.8DP 1.5GB RAM; G4 MDD 1.42DP, etc) so people have some better idea of hardware config.

Also, we strongly recommend using the standalone combined update. But if you have this problem, then you can't. So you had to have used Software Update to get to 10.3.6 (catch-22).

G4 1 ghz MDD.

Thanks for replying. the problem I had before with 10.3.5 was that I kept getting knocked offline. Disconnected. This is different. This says that the download cannot proceed because the download cannot decode or be decoded.

I did an erase and install. I downloaded the combined 10.3.6 from the software update.

Then, I attempted to download from the web.

I don't know what you mean about getting permission to download...I click download and safari starts immediately w/o giving me a choice of where to download. It puts a thing on my desktop. Then, sometime after the download, it stops the download and says it can't decode it. I am still online, not disconnected.

Firefox asks if stuffit opens it or if I safe it to disk. If I click safe it to disk or open with stuffit, it still goes to my desktop and the download starts, then is stopped sometime later.

I don't think I had this specific problem with 10.3.5. With 10.3.5, I just would get knocked offline during downloads. After fooling with the plist files, and changing authentication settings for mac mail, that problem was solved on 10.3.5. I have not hooked up any e-mail yet, so that is not the problem, as far as I can tell.

I did not know about the CP profile thing...I will search for it and fill it out. Thanks for pointing that out.

I will search on the forums to see if others figured out how to fix this download problem...I think apple discussion had something.

Laura

Lightbulb

Download to Desktop is the default if you don't go into Safari Preferences and change it. There is an option of what to do with downloads.

And you had trouble with Stuffit before? or was that someone else?
    How about reinstalling Stuffit Standard (Expander) 9.0?
    You should have:
    StuffItExpander.pkg
    StuffIt.pkg
    StuffIt Std 9.0 Install.log
    as well.

One of the first things I do after installing OS X 10.3.0 is to update Stuffit.

I hope that you installed BSD.pkg along with Essentials.pkg adn every other package installed is in /Library/Receipts. Those are necessary for Repair Permissions to work correctly.

User CP is on the upper left side of the forum - under "Online Store."

Update.

Well, I don't know what did it. I erased and reinstalled the combo 10.3.6. re-installed Word x, and downloaded the Word x update on safari. I changed the download preferences to install the update into the packages section of the hard drive library. It worked, using the stuffit that came with the panther OS discs.

I also burned a copy of the Word x to cd.

I recall reading on some forums, including this one (MacJapan?) that re-installing 10.3.6 can sometimes fix things. Who knows...a mystery.

Laura

Lightbulb

>> I changed the download preferences to install the update into the packages section of the hard drive library. Actually, I do NOT like the sound of that. That can cause trouble. And it sounds like your Desktop doesn't have the proper permissions set. On another note, I was afraid that you had done a custom install previously and skipped installing Stuffit.

about resetting preferences...I did that just in safari and only for that download. I set safarit to download the file to packages. then, after the download finished, I set the safari preferences back to desktop.

as to desktop permissions. I don't know anything about it, nor how to set permission for it. I just use it as it came with Panther.

Is there something I should be doing?

Laura

Lightbulb

Try this:

click on a folder, Desktop is /Users/laura/Desktop and do a Get Info (Command + I). It should show that it is owned by "laura" and has read-write "privilege." It will have a triangle and "Details." Group (unknown) has read only.

The fact that it worked for /Library/Receipts/ says something about privileges is non-standard. Installers from 3rd party use to be a problem. Jaguar required constant attention to Privileges and Repairing Privileges. In Panther, you still want to run that Repair before and after installing updates though.

A good OS X book (and I haven't yet read OS X The Missing Manaul to the point I feel it is "IT" should cover maintenance. Which is why in the (very sloppy) FAQ there are links to articles, tools, utilities.

Yes, OS X does have a learning curve. I won't say it doesn't. Even if only to know some and feel comfortable. Which is why I choose four years ago to force myself to use it and get to know it, and get immersed.

Batchmod makes it easy to correct permissions. Just dropping a home folder on it and setting it (apply permissions, unlock all) makes it easy.

Safari Preferences are just basic application preferences (fonts, cookies, javascript, block pop-ups) though the Downloads setting seems to be "system wide" (except Firefox uses its own, which is helpful, I have a separate Firefox Downloads Folder.

Stuffit Standard 9.0 - direct download (Stuffit Expander).

I checked. I am listed as the user. I have read and write privileges.

Lightbulb

Open Discussion on 10.3.6 is here that the rest of us have been using.

The "original" FAQ 10.3.6.

Glad it looks good. But downloading into the /Library which is owned by the system, is not a good idea. I hope that you do the Repair Permissions in Disk Utility (and not ever from CD) to make sure it is correct.

yes, I always do repair permissions.

since i burned the updates onto cd, I'll remove them from the library packages folder.

Lightbulb

That which is in Library/Packages - I'd leave. Copy them somewhere on another volume. When I installed the Combined Update (which is the only way to really update and be safe) it doesn't download to /Packages, that folder is used by Software Update. And Library/Receipts may look like packages, but those are "just" the bill of materials that the system needs. Nothing inside /Library or System/Library/ should be changed (unless you are 100% sure which even I confess I am always learning more). Create a folder "Downloads" and another "Installers" idieally not on the boot volume. Store stuff there and burn to CD/DVD as needed. Having the OS on its own volume has its rewards, and having /Users on another disk drive.