Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Serious Problem w/ External HD

You guys should get paid for this. All the info is valuable too me. Ricks that sounds like a great idea, but my knowlegde on Macs/Computers are way to low to perform something like that. I got a question about number

3."Make darn certain you have enough space on another drive connected before you attempt a recovery. I have seen a recovery with Disk Warrior where the data was made available but not repaired. So you may have to copy it to another drive to save it. "

Okay im attempting to rebuild and recover all my files from the handicapped external drive. Is it ok to copy/transfer those recovered files to my internal drive "Macintosh HD"?

By the way i only got one LED light, and it flickers every now and then during the rebuild process. But I have noticed if I press the Force Quit Shortcut, Disk Warrior is "sometimes" shown in "red". Is this normal?

Wow... Whoever knew I would learn so much from this mistake!?

Powerbook G4 867 MHZ 512 RAM.MAC OSX 10.2.8. OWC ELITE EXTERNAL HD 7200RPM OXFORD 911

communist,

I think Rick lost something in the translation! You don't have a PowerMac, so the option of moving the drive out of the FireWire case is moot. Unless of course you happen to have a G4 PowerMac kicking around.

If you have enough space on the internal drive on your PowerBook to acccommodate the recovered data from your external FW drive, then that will suffice if DW offers the option to do that. If not, you're gonna need that backup drive. You don't say how often you've tried the Force Quit manoeuvre with DW, but maybe you should just, as Rick says, "Let it run. Walk away from it." Let it come to a conclusion, and that may take some time. As TZ said earlier, "killing it", i.e. Force Quitting it, shouldn't have made any changes to the buggered drive. So let DW run, give a day! TZ also made some good points about using Activity Monitor, or Terminal, to see what DW's up to. If you're new to OS X that probably sounds like so much geek-speak. Try this, while DW's running; go Application>Utilities and find Terminal. Open Terminal. At the prompt type top -ad(return) and you should see 4 threads running with Disk Warrior. If things are happening there, DW should be doing it's thing. You're just watching the action in Terminal, no hazard there, just quit it when you get bored! But let DW do it's thing.

We do learn from our mistakes, and if you did it on a Mac, I'll say it again, "this is the place".

Hang in there dude.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Lightbulb

Not Responding means Disk Warrior isn't listening or giving up cpu cycles for interrupts which normal applications must/should/are expected to do.

Make sure your computer is set to never sleep and that includes the disk drive (but not necessarily the screen though it would be nice to keep it on so you can see). Don't want to get 12 hrs into this and have an event occur. I'd even want a UPS with battery backup.

With only one FireWire port and no other drive than your internal, guess that will have to do.

It ain't enlightenment, but somedays, it'll have to do!

My eyes, they be gettin older by the minute. Sorry about that.

I would expect that the much slower transfer rate of Firewire would also leave Disk Warrior running even longer than usual on a big rebuild. Patience my friend. That will pay off.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well guys you all seriously saved my behind. After 3 hours of waiting for the Drive to rebuild...IT WORKS!!!!!!!! I lost alot of files but its okay, they are the ones I have backed up. Dam today was lucky day! Now for my very last questions. The Rebuild made some extra folders on my drive, Rescued Items, Trash and Temporary Items. Rescued Items i know not to delete because I might need them. But trash and temp file? Can I delete those? Also the rebuild/repair changed the name of my hardrive from OWC Mercury Elite to Untitled. Whats the proper way to change the name of this drive back to its original?.

Hey guys 10000000 thank you's to all of you. You saved my butt, saved some money,time, and I learned a whole LOT!
    Powerbook G4 867 MHZ 512 RAM.MAC OSX 10.2.8. OWC ELITE EXTERNAL HD 7200RPM OXFORD 911

You saved my butt, saved some money,time
    One reason I support and buy from Guru's. Plus Rick looks a little skinny. Not only will they help you with every little detail of a purchase but any other problems that surface. Who knows what a 'repair shop' might have done. Lost data, drive or worse and then some may have fixed it to. All for a fee/charge. But the Guru's will dig till they find the "real problem" and not stop at the first or second hurdle or use a band-aide fixes to problems.

These fellers have taught me plenty - but it seems I know so little.

Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 10-30-2004 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fix post

communist,

I'm really glad for you, I heard the sigh of relief from here!

Amen to Randy's last post. Don't forget that MacGurus can also supply you with the best hardware for your now pressing need to get a backup solution and, as you've already seen, there's no shortage of first-class advice to go with the first-class products.

All the best.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Communist1976 sez:
    The Rebuild made some extra folders on my drive, Rescued Items, Trash and Temporary Items.
    It is difficult to know for certain what folders were created and left on the drive after force quitting DW a couple of times. My guess is that for instance at least the Temporary Items folder was created by DW during the directory rebuild operation and is still on the drive because of the force quit. But what I would do is go thru all three folders and look for duplicates elsewhere on the drive. And make sure that anything elsewhere is not actually an alias to an item in one of those folders. Never having force quit DW, I don't know what would be the result. The force quits may be the cause of the Untitled name too.

Or just put those three folders in a new folder, DW Recovered Stuff, or something like that for now and get on with life. You can later go thru it and look for duplicates on the drive. There is software that will do that as well.

You can rename by clicking on the Untitled name and renaming or highlight the drive and do a Get Info or Command-I and rename it in the Name & Extension: box.

Last, I would run DW again after one of the above suggestions just to be sure it has done its stuff fully. k

Thanks Again... And I agree, im gonna run DW one more time.

**Bows Down To Mac Guru's"

Alsoft Disk Warrior does only one thing - and people wonder why we endorse it so strongly.

The only thing endorsed even more is having backups.

I even buy a new copy of Disk Warrior from time to time just to "help."

Unhappy Looks like I missed a fun one

I think I will need to stop staying away from my machine on the weekends huh. I miss all the fun . Glad you are back up and running communist. As stated plenty before .... these guys here are REAL good. They correct me on a regular basis. I have learned plenty in the short time I have been here.

My happiness just came to a end. . After rebuilding the External HD and jumping for joy that my problem was over, it seems like my little happy party's over. I ran DW one more time just to make sure everything was cool. My drive was like new again. Today I was about to back-up all my files to data cd's using Roxio Toast. I was able to burn 2 cd's. When it came to the 3rd CD, my hardrive hung while attempting to drag a file into Toast. I waited patiently for a hour. I tried to Force Quit Toast and I got a screen freeze. I restarted, and the drive didnt mount, so I shut off my comp and shut off External drive. I started everything back up, did the repair thing on both my drives, then continued trying to backup data. I dragged another file this time to my desktop and the same thing happened "Stuck" then "screen freeze". Now my external doesnt show in Disk Utility, System Profile and DiskWarrior. What should I do?

When you went to back-up the data did you compress any of the files? This protects them.... Also when you froze both times, was it the same file? One thing you can try to do is to un-plug and plug the firewire drive a few times. You can also leave it power off during boot up and then start it after you get to the desktop. When you say DW didn't see it were you booted from disc or were you running it as an app?

When I started the back-up the files/folders were not compressed. To be honest i dont even know how to compress a file/folder. The second time I attempted to back-up I tried it with a different file. And about unplugging it, did you mean unplugging the power or the firewire cable? And since I baught DW online, im not gonna recieve the disk from 2-3 weeks, so im using it as a app. BTW thanks for your quick reply. Hope you guys can come thru for me again.

And about unplugging it, did you mean unplugging the power or the firewire cable?
    Sorry about the vagueness. From the PB the firewire.
    you could try reseting the PMU
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58416 that will exsplain how to go about it. Also make sure that NOTHING is open/ running during back-ups . The only processes should be OS and Back=up software. Were you sure to set computer to never sleep and also for your HD to NOT spin down in energy settings?
    Now to getting this Firewire back on your desktop....
    How many Firewire ports do you have? If you have another try changing ports.

Changed Firewire ports and the problems gone! Does this mean I got a bad port? And thanks for telling me about not running any programs during backup. I was on the internet, and on iChat ...
    Im extremely insecure about file transfers to and from that drive. Seems like when I either drag "alot" of files to the external or from the external, i get major problems. What can I do to make this drive healthy? What are good housekeeping rules on a external drive? Any tips or other good software recommendations you can give me would be awesome.

THANKS!

Does this mean I got a bad port?
    It is quite possible. Try running the apple hardware test.
    Seems like when I either drag "alot" of files to the external or from the external, i get major problems.
    When you say major problems, do you mean freeze or just screen lock? When moving "alot" of data @ 512 RAM your machine is likely to go through a "dead period" i like to call it. Meaning the machine is working at 100% capacity and has to "catch-up" to what you have asked it to do. If you wait a while it may just work itself out. It can only go as fast as the engine that runs it.
    maybe someone a little more firewire savvy can help you figure out the port issue. I will do some digging....but I will admit I am not all that tuned when it comes to port issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Japan
    When moving "alot" of data @ 512 RAM your machine is likely to go through a "dead period" i like to call it. Meaning the machine is working at 100% capacity and has to "catch-up" to what you have asked it to do. If you wait a while it may just work itself out. It can only go as fast as the engine that runs it.
    Now that makes alot of sense. But when waiting how do you know how long is tooo long?

Now that makes alot of sense. But when waiting how do you know how long is tooo long?
    Depending on the amount of data anywhere from a couple minutes to an hour or more. If you want to get it done with the least lag. Do small chunks at a time. If you continue to get errors, It is also easier to find the culprit file when done in smaller batches. Another way to save back-up time is to on back-up new or edited files. No real point in overwriting files that haven't been touched. i.e system files(unless updated or new programs installed), app files(same follows as for system files). You can even get into the habit of saving files to both drives after you edit them. That way you have on the go back-up. Effectively getting rid of chunk copying. But this method is looked at with different opinions around the block, I am sure (I hope) someothers swing by to give some info on this. I would hate for my info to be the only stuff to work with. The more brains on the subject=more brain power = more and often better idea/s.

Nice call on the FW ports - Mac Japan. I have never used a firewire port. Wait - my FW web cab. So I have little first hand knowledge here.

In most cases but especially with your setup transferring data from an internal to internal drive will be much faster than to a FW drive/case.

A new HD is faster than what older FW can send data. Now FW800 might be as fast but more $$$'s

Randy