Thread: firewire on imac dvse no work no more

Default firewire on imac dvse no work no more

so i have 2 imac 400 dvse's exactally the same spec's, and when I installed OSX and then downloaded the latest security update (9-30-2004), the firewire ports refuse to mount any FW drive. IT WILL power the drive's but not recognize them. this has now happend on both computer's after the updates. short of taking them to the mac store for an "ex-spert or genius" opinon, has anyone heard anything about this? i even tried re-installing the OS, re-setting the p ram, and even re-setting the firmware. were to go now...

Default A far shot

Try disconnecting the firewire, booting without it once. Then plug it back in. I know it sounds odd but I have heard this work for USB problems before.

IT WILL power the drive's but not recognize them.
    Does that mean that you are running the external FW drives without their own power? If so, be aware that some 3.5" drives (mostly older ones) draw too much juice...more than the FW bus can give, and won't function correctly.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Check for FireWire Troubleshooting.
    LaCie equipment often needs to drain the juice from the system for 15 minutes.

well i have all kinds of FW drives, a 120 gig lacie with an external power supply and a few laptop drives in FW 400 houses (FW powered) brand new 100gig drives i think they are 4500rpm, now the drive's themselves are not the issue...really. they work fine with my laptop and any other mac and even with this mac before the update. its truly perplexing, the mac phone service folks never have heard anything of this...i do believe it to be a software thing but why when i re-install the os or for that matter run OS9 does the problem persist? ive even tried plugging in my ipod and isight with no success.

Thumbs down

well took one of the offending imacs to the apple store & got a call 2 days later saying that the logic board needs to be replaced.
    there reasoning as to why the FW ports stopped responding: because i have a faulty FW drive or cable. (but then why have they all worked in the past, and continue to work with my powerbook??? with no problems)
    i have a hard time paying the 614 bucks its gonna cost me to replace the logic board in both computers, as all i did was download a security update and they never worked again.

well suffice to say, i guess im buying a few usb drives.
    thanks guys for the input.

FW ports getting fried is a common occurrence with B&W G3 and requires PCI FW card. And, the Granite FireVue or Isolator cables ($30 for basic size) that are in MacGurus Store (FW cables) help avoid problems. You can minimize the risk through safe behavior of when and how you "hot plug" devices (ie, don't) as far as turning on or plugging in. Of course it would be cheaper and easier to just find some FW ports and solder probably.

There are reports of FW issues all over the Apple BBS and some over at xlr8yourmac... is it possible that the sec update and/or the combo updater for X.3.6 is related to your issue and it is not a hardware related issue?

Does your FW support return after clearing the NVRAM and then booting from an alternate system OS (maybe OS9??? or an earlier rev of X?)?