Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Creating Slideshows with iDVD 4,5, iLife 6, iLife 8

Randy, only two ways I can get the music is to play the Slideshow created within iPhoto or burn the Slideshow to a DVD in iDVD. iPhoto to iWeb does not upload the music. k

Interesting Apple doc here on burning Double-Layer DVDs in iDVD and how much hard disk space is necessary for the project.

One note
    Burning those disc images to a DVD using a utility outside of iDVD will not set the layer break according to the DVD specification and may result in playback issues.
    I wanted an every day copy of the Xplane 8 DL DVD and burned it in Toast 6 Titanium (works in v7 too) using the Copy disc to disc option. The Xplane 8 DL DVD has both the Mac and PC version on it. Both versions of Toast tell you where the layer break is located and burn it that way with a DL disc to copy to. Out of curiosity I sent my son to work to see if it would load the PC version of Xplane 8 and that works too. Of course, no idea if Toast would work on a Mac bootable DL DVD. k

Spent a frustrating day with iWeb. finished a project in iPhoto, put it into iWeb and created the page, clicked Publish and then everything went to hell. First I was informed that the 3 previous web pages were created in iWeb 1.0.1 and since I was now using version 1.1, I would first have to update those web pages then create the new one. OK, iWeb went to do all that but encountered errors along the way. I looked at all four sites and did find a few photos that did not load.

I ended up trying to Publish 3 times and could not get verification of publication tho after the 3rd try, all four web pages were OK. I just let it be. This afternoon iWeb 1.1.1 was available. I installed it, rebooted, repaired permissions, and Published again in iWeb. It worked and verified. Finally a version that really works. Still frustrating. k

Working with iWeb 1.1.2 now and getting smarter about how to use iPhoto/iWeb and particularly iWeb. Works slick and I have published several more web pages in the last few weeks.

Until yesterday. Around noon pacific, I went to publish another web page in iWeb and the process went very slowly until about an hour into it with little progress on the progress circle I got a .Mac warning that the servers were busy and try later. What a pain. I know there has been an uproar lately about this issue and viewing published web pages and .Mac mail. Yesterday after flushing browser cache I did check several of my published web pages and they were very slow. I've not yet had any trouble with .Mac mail.

Late last night, I republished in iWeb and everything went very quickly, probably because eveyone else was asleep. Apple needs more servers. Don't they get them at a discount? k

I worked on 5 more web pages today, all password protected. One of them is an iWeb movie page, 2 QT movies totaling 38MB. I was worried about that one but they all published without a hitch. Takes a long time to load the movie page. Next time I will do 1 QT movie per web page. k

Still using iLife '06. Won't go to iLife '08 until the kinks are worked out. Have recently worked on 4 projects. One of them I did and then redid with multiple Menu items because two people could not see more than 99 slides even tho their DVD players were less than 2 years old. I wanted multiple Menu items anyway. iDefrag found over 1100 fragments to the project so I defragged before burning.

The latest creation on my G5, using iPhoto v6.0.6 and iDVD v6.0.4 with iTunes v7.5, was 70min 20sec, 2.6GB of 4.2GB SL disc, 740 photos divided into 9 Slideshows within iPhoto, using BeAll DVD+R 1-16x speed purchased from Meritline. I like this media because it works and the DVD+R and speed are clearly written on the disc. No one that I ship to family and friends has complained about this media, only that that I must create chapters of 99 slides or less for some, despite what Apple sez.

For awhile in the past I imported the photos, not Slideshows, directly into iDVD and did all of the work necessary to create the Slideshows/movie within iDVD but that proved to me to be more work than I was happy with plus there are things that cannot be done in iDVD, such as Ken Burns effect and some others.

Other points, when creating the Slideshows (each 99 photos or less) in iPhoto and adding music from iTunes, I make a list of the Transition and music used for each Sideshow so that I don't repeat either of them for the next Slideshow or any of the others. That way, each Slideshow has a unique Transition and music. BTW, there are numerous warnings along the way including in iDVD that the music is protected, but I promise you that it burns just fine and no one I send these DVDs to complains about no music because I ask. They love the music and it plays on both their DVD player and their PCs (a few have Macs, and the music works just fine).

When the Slideshows are ready in iPhoto, select your first, then there is a Menu Bar item Share > Send to iDVD. Do this for each Slideshow. I have already launched iDVD, selected a new project, selected a Theme, and selected Snap to Grid in Buttons. The themes that I use have a max of 6 Buttons in Snap to Grid. I typically now have 9 buttons so before going past 6, I drag all 6 up the Menu area, then add my next 3 Buttons. Snap to Grid automatically changes to Free Positioning and I can drag one at a time the remaining 3 to the Menu area. You want to be careful that they don't overlap. And you definitely want to shorten the name and the text size as you go along. Text color for the Menu items, I use black on a white background or white on a black background. There is also large text outside of the Menu area and its name and size can be changed.

Once all of that is done I do a Get Info which gives all of the info about what your burn will be and you can change within the window whatever you want. The previous example of the 740 photos took 3:00 hours within iDVD to get to the actual burn stage and then another 15min to burn. iDVD then asks if you want to burn another when the DVD drawer opens. Another DVD burn at this point is 15min, so it is a good idea to know how many DVDs you want to burn. Otherwise you have to start at the beginning if you later decide you want more, meaning 3:00 hours plus 15min in the above example. That's a big ouch! Plus you will most likely have to reposition those Menu Buttons if you have more than 6 (and some Themes have less than 6 in Snap to Grid). Hopefully iDVD v8 will be better.

Some other notes:
    1. Transitions that work and those that don't, or may not.
    a) The Cube Transition, some have had trouble with that one. In my case it always worked but sometimes it would not complete and the photo would be grainy on the TV until the next photo which might complete or not. I stopped using the Cube quite awhile back.
    b) I forget the others, like the Cube it was graininess, but I made up a list of those that work.

2. Those that work for everyone:
    Dissolve
    Droplet
    Fade through Black
    Flip
    Mosaic Flip Large
    Page Flip
    Push
    Twirl

3. If you have your iTunes tunes divided into folders like I do, there is no need to have 2 hours of music for the Menu or any Menu item in iDVD. That just takes up more space on the DVD. So I created smaller folders with just the music I wanted for the iDVD Menu and within iPhoto when creating the Slideshows, just enough music for them.

4. The intervals between photos in the Slideshows (default 3sec) also takes up space on the DVD. For instance selecting 4sec instead of 3sec for the above example would add 740sec to the DVD, about 12min.

5. My last 740 photo project, the burn spinner rotated the entire time from start to end. My previous project, it stopped shortly after start and never started spinning again, but the project completed as well as subsequent DVD burns. No need to panic.

6. Sometimes subsequent burns of the same 15min burn of a project, Done was indicated (from the previous step) for awhile before it would again show the burn, other times it would go directly to burn. Again, be patient.

7. Experimented with different DVD media on my last project after the first burn DVD+R, put in a DVD-R or a DVD+R DL, you get a warning window that you would have to start over. I'm sure if you wanted PAL instead of NTSC, you would have to start over. k

Default iPhoto 6.0.6

My wife, son, and his wife recently went to India. They returned with about 2500 photos and movies combined on her Canon A75 and his Sony DSC-H5. He did all of the 86 movies. He actually had much more on the camera but left it on an intra-India Kingfisher Airlines flight. By the time he realized he had left it, long gone. Only what he had saved to his laptop returned. After loading all of that into iPhoto, I quit for the day.

The next morning I launched iPhoto and immediately got a window I have never seen before, telling me to rebuild the thumbnail cache. Took about 5 minutes for 10,234 items, photos and movies, 10.1GB. k

Default Tips

iLife '09 requires Leopard so I won't be upgrading to that soon. I use both Tiger and Leopard and Da Boss's iBook G4 is Tiger only.

Another tip I just saw this morning:
    To stop iPhoto claim-jumping your camera card, launch the Apple application Image Capture and then open the preferences. You can then determine which app (if any) you want to launch when you plug in a camera or a card. That problem has been ongoing for me for a very long time. k

That has been bugging me for a while too, every time I plug in my iPhone it launches iPhoto and I impatiently force quit it. I never opened Image Capture, so thanks for the tip!

You bet, and here I thought I was the only one. Never even knew Image Capture was there. k

Default iLife '08

I decided to do an Amazon search for iLife '08 since I don't want the Leopard only version at this point. Found a market place seller who had new single user and Family Pack. Purchased the latter so that I could install it on the wife's iBook G4. She does not use iMovie or GarageBand. It arrived in 4 days and is as advertised.

iLife 08 requirements

Hardware
    Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 processor
    iMovie requires a Mac computer with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster)
    iDVD requires 733MHz or faster processor

512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended; high-definition video requires at least 1GB of RAM

Software
    Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
    QuickTime 7.2 or later

3 GB of available disk space
    DVD drive required for installation

Other configurations may be supported. AVCHD video and 24-bit recording have additional requirements.

Install was on my G5 Tiger v10.4.11 drive. All of the applications are Universal. The installer has optional installs of other things relating to some of the apps such as more themes for iDVD. It did not update my iTunes v8.0.2 which is already up to date. Before seeing if Software Update had updates, I launched each of the apps. They all worked fine. Some required updating of items within the app, such as iPhoto photos, and iDVD photos. Did the updates and saved everything to my backup drive via SuperDuper. As far as I can tell for each of the apps, my prefs and folders are still there.

Software Update had to be run several times with reboots to get everything up to date. And it added other things such as iLife Support v8.3.1. Ran DU several times during the entire installations from beginning to end as well as DiskWarrior sometimes. Finally SuperDuper again as well as DiskWarrior and defragged both drives with Drive Genius. Everything runs smoothly. k

I wanted to redo a DVD done back in 2005, Norway June 2005 DVD and add more music and photos, as well as get familiar with iDVD 7.0.3
    iTunes 8.0.2
    iPhoto 7.1.5 (part of iLife '08)
    iDVD 7.0.3 (part of iLife '08)

There is an outstanding review of iDVD 7 by Ken Stone here
    iDVD 7
    I was particularly interested in his review of the new Professional Quality Encoding selection and he is right that video encoding does require about twice as long as previous versions tho as I recall there was a short third pass to perhaps meld the layers together. Anyway it works very well if slowly with up to outstanding results (more on that later).

Also new is the Project info (accessible via a Menu Bar selection) Quality and Capacity bar. My results are a bit different since all of my Slideshows were created in iPhoto and when imported to iDVD became movies whereas he created most Slideshows in iPhoto and a few in iDVD.

As he says, tho there are new features, and I consider them major, the big change is the user interface, and finding them in iPhoto and iDVD was a chore. At the end of his review is a link to Authoring in iDVD 6 which for me gives excellent information on adding movies to an iDVD project. Be patient, it may take a long time to fully load all of the graphics. I saved it as a pdf file. It was 48 pages.

Now about the Professional Quality Encoding selection. Using Verbatim Single Layer DVD+R discs at Best Speed (I have the same discs in DVD-R on order), the results on my Sony 36' CRT were impressive and better than I have ever seen for home made discs, transitions without a single stutter or glitch, photos sharp, text very clear. Loading the same disc into my Samsung system, the results were spectacular, very near Blu-ray quality. Could not be happier. k

Very Cool, Kaye

Thanks Randy.

I was wrong about the number of passes in iDVD 7 when using Professional Quality and Ken Stone was correct, two passes requiring twice as long, and no third pass.

I now have the Verbatim Single Layer DVD-R discs using them at Best Speed and they do work great and are more compatible with older Macs. I have also been using up my Radio Shack Memorex Music CD-R's and have ordered Verbatim Music CD's as well as jewel cases since iTunes will create a printable graphic of the albums for the front side of a jewel case and a list of the tunes for the inside front cover of the jewel case. It just needs to be cut out and folded over.

I have done about 50 more DVDs and music CDs and everything is working well. k

Another iDVD project completed with slideshows completed in iPhoto and music from iTunes.

and

k

It has been about 2 years since I last published a web page using a previous version of iWeb. Now using iWeb 2.0.4, part of iLife 8, a lot has changed but not too dissimilar to the old version. What has not changed at all is a window opening in iWeb saying that the servers are busy and to try again in a few minutes. I did that and the 2nd time worked.

Irenes70thBirthday4_7_09.html k

Default iDVD update

About iDVD 7.0.4
    I was surprised to see this Software Update a little over 3 weeks ago (component of iLife '08).
    This update addresses general compatibility issues and fixes an issue where iDVD is unable to add title/comment to an image in the image details list.

This update is recommended for all users of iDVD version 7.
    System Requirements
    Mac OS*X 10.4.11
    Mac OS*X*10.5.6 or later k

I have been working on the largest project I have ever tried, a trip to India by my Princess, our son, and his Indian wife for their traditional Indian Wedding as a followup to their US wedding, a Civil Ceremony at the County Clerk's Office in Martinez, CA in January, 2007.

I took care of all the travel arrangements to and from India. The three left on Jan 19, 2008 via United SFO-Frankfurt, then Lufthansa to Mumbai (Bombay). They traveled internally all over India via Kingfisher Airlines, taxi, guided tour bus and minibus, even camels, all arranged by her sister who was a travel agent there at the time. Maria returned Feb 2, 2008 on Austrian Airlines Mumbai-Vienna-Frankfurt, and United Frankfurt-SFO. The kids returned via Singapore Airlines Mumbai-Singapore-Hong Kong-SFO on Feb 9.

Anyway, they took 2 cameras, the wife's Canon PowerShot A570 IS (Image Stabilizer) and the son's Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 with IS tho most of the time I think he had IS turned off. She took along 4 SanDisk Extreme III 4GB very fast SD cards and 4 pairs of MAHA POWEREX NIMH 2700 MAH AA batteries as well as a MAHA MH-C401FSB International AA-AAA NIMH battery charger. All I had to do was add an adapter for India. My son used the adapter for his Dell notebook charging and downloaded his photos to the Dell. Unfortunately he left the Sony camera on one of the Kingfisher flights and by the time he remembered the camera, it was long gone, two days of photos gone because he had not downloaded them to the Dell. So most of the trip photos are with the Canon.

His wife's parents do not have a DVD player, it would have to be PAL anyway. They use an old Dell USA notebook which only reads SL discs, not DL. Son's and Wife's photos came to 2388 photos which I pared down to 2319 photos. There were also 82 movies, more on that later. I used Tiger10.4.11, iPhoto '08 v7.1.5, iTunes 8.2 (downloaded a lot of DRM free Indian music), and iDVD '08 v7.0.4.

Created the SlideShows in iPhoto with music and transitions, each Slideshow with 99 photos or less, Share > Send to iDVD with 6 chapters for each DVD, all DVDs Professional Quality. Burned 7 copies of each DVD, Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R Shiny. This project used up 28 discs, all of my remaining 50 pack. Ordered another 50 pack for the future as well as a 50 pack of white printable, Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R.

About the movies, I think I will have to use DL discs but will try SL first to see how many I can get on a single disc. k

Good thing your family gets your editing services for below commercial rates. That is one heck of a big project. Bad news about the Sony. But what a trip! Wow. Surely would love to sit around and drink your beer while listening to Da Boss tell her stories about the places she has been lately. That would be awesome.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

K

Which computer did you do this on?