Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Monitors

Question New Monitors

Here it is .... where do I start!

Need to purchase a new DVI monitor.
    A 22 inch would be a good starting point I think.

I know absolutely nothing about what's out there...... only that there are about zillion that I want to stay away from .... including Sonys crap ... but that's another story!

Only brand that I know a little about is Dell and was told to stay away from those also.

Are used Apples worth buying these days? or are they just too expensive for what you get?

Where to begin ...... "HELP MISTER WIZARD!"

thanks, h

I'm happy with my ViewSonic 20". Haven't done any serious research on displays lately, but I know you can get one comparable to mine for $100 less than I paid now.

Many major brands use the same supplier for the actual display so the differences between brands are mainly with the case, backlight, and PSU.

Used Apple displays are overpriced IMHO. Almost as much as they are new.

Been happy with Viewsonic and Samsung overall. Asus (they build lots of stuff for other brands.....) and LG often get good reviews for lower end price range.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10010377

......as an example.

Acer is getting to be a really big company, but I am not a fan.

Keep in mind warranty, and that the older close out models are always cheaper, but usually not as bright as current models.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I have a 20" Viewsonic and I like it, though I think a larger size would have been better. But that was then and the prices are better now.

Question

Anybody know about theses: ViewSonic VX2240W 22" X Series Widescreen LCD Monitor VX2240W?

Looks good to me and price is right!
    j

Question

Forgot to add this:

ViewSonic X Series VX2240w 22 in LCD Monitor Black

ViewSonic's 22" VX2240w widescreen LCD delivers unparalleled performance with ultra-fast video response as fast as 2ms, 4000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (typ) and Super-HD 1680X1050 resolution. Games, HD movies, videos and graphic-intensive applications have never looked better on your desktop. This Vista premium certified widescreen display enhances productivity by allowing you to view two documents side-by-side or to work in two applications without toggling. Connect your game console, DVD player and other components through the digital (DVI-D) AND analog inputs. The Kensington security port provides theft deterrence and the OSD and power lock prevent unauthorized changes to your optimal screen settings

h

PS: just give me a thumbs up or down!

The new LG's are good...

LG W2242T-PF
    LG W2284F

As long as you don't need proof quality (for prepress or color correction) a TN-Panel is ok.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

I really think a Viewsonic, Samsung, LG, would be fine for most of us not needing precise coloring. My Apple 20" iMac looks great. To many $$'s to just buy a monitor. Damien likes his Benq.

20 22 inch Google

Are you a gamer?
    Surfer and text mostly?
    What are you primary needs?

Default VX2240w

......and for those of us that are colorblind, they all look good.

All I can comment on is viewing angle, black blacks, brightness, etc. Don't ever let me set up your color sync profile.....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Talking

Thanks for all the input!
    I've been researching since about 4:00 am. this morning.
    Right now it's 2:30 pm.

I can see ... this monitor purchase will be a couple of weeks away ... have to learn some new technology terms first .... as usual.

Hey, lets go with this!
    You-all send me $20.00 each.
    Then we'll take a vote of ALL the monitors you've recommended and which ever is the winner .................................................. ..................................... thats the one I'll buy.
    What do you think???

Tell me some of the features I would want .... will be using for HD movies, Photoshop and FCP ..... maybe a few games, but nothing really taxing the system.

Thats right! ..... All these look good to me!

Thanks everyone!, h

All I see in your list is that you need a pretty fast response time for smooth video and gaming..........but most modern LCDs are fast now, like 2 to 5ms. Back in the day, LCDs had up tp 25ms response time.

Pretty good overview LCD buying guide.

Short answer? Any of the current name brands listed here will be great. I like your pick. Thumbs up.

If you are still looking, HP monitors are generally very good quality for the price too. always take a look, as every brand has their hits and their lemons........and if possible, see the monitor before you buy. That's hard to do unless you close to big shopping areas.

Hurry up and pick one, get it set up and tested and report back. I need one too!

Question

OK! Would I ever need the USB port that some models have?

No Play Station will ever be plugged in!

Something else might be plugged in, but what and why?

What good is it?

Or is that just PC crap?

h

Depends on if you do have USB gear

You can use it as USB hub for your USB gear like external USB HD's, cameras, colorimeter USB WiFi stick and stuff without the need to crawling behind your PowerMac/MacPro on the floor. Use it as mouse/keyboard cable extension. A friend of mine taped a 2,5" HD on the back of the LCD using the USB for connection.

BTW PC enclosures also have front pannel connectors thats no Apple invention
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Red face

Sounds interesting.
    I'll have to give that some thought.

Thanks for that, h

Talking

Narrowing monitors down to two.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...LS23NVTABW/ZA# and http://forum.xcitefun.net/nec-multis...or-t35206.html.

Really like the looks of the NEC but, has a slower ms (14ms?) time.
    Sansungs time is faster.

Both have color corrective abilities, good viewing angles, good adjustability, wall mounting ?

No bells or whistles ..... not having to pay for features that wont be used.
    Both have black matt frames .... no glare!

Sansung has a better price but, both are NEW ........ therefore reviews are scare!

I guess my only question is .... 8 ms fast enough for HD movies?
    Fast-ass games will never be played on this but, HD movies with fast action and video editing will?
    See any problems?

People in the know need to know ..... I need to know!
    Any thoughts?
    Feedback wanted here !!!!!!!!!!!

thanks, h

Just bought one of these at Costco for $179:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001308

Super bright, even compared to new MacBook screen. Perfect, no complaints. Very pretty case too, front and back.

I am colorblind, so don't ask about color trueness. Have not watched movies on it yet, will try to get a DVD running and report back.

Question

Thats a good one!
    Great reviews.
    Anything loose or rattling going on?
    Any dead pixels?

So your colorblind ..... did you get any color calibration of any kind or no?

Watch a fast-action movie and get back .... please!

h

An old review but I hope helpful:
    response time k

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkell View Post
    So your colorblind ..... did you get any color calibration of any kind or no?
    Nah.......I like the grass on the monitor to be bright orange.......just like it really is!

As for loose anything.....nope. Perfect. Easy to attach the base, I like how the video out is down the back, not out the back (no stress on cables, looks cleaner), and no power brick.

No dead pixels (that caught my eye........did not intensely scan it yet).

Only complaint: When the MB goes to sleep, and the monitor sleeps, it has a pretty big/bright light that pulses. Kind of annoying in a bedroom, so I just power it off.

Will try to test video playback tonight. I am expecting good things.........16 x 9 and native res is default 1080p.