Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Creating Slideshows with iDVD 4,5, iLife 6, iLife 8

Rick,

He has household insurance so I believe he got a portion of the money spent on the Sony minus wear and tear based on the day purchased and the day lost. He used that amount to help purchase a new Sony, same model.

R,

My G5. Wish I had a Mac with more processors, like six more, for the crunching. k

You may remember "To stop iPhoto claim-jumping your camera card, launch the Apple application Image Capture and then open the preferences."

This morning I saw this on Macworld:
    Cameras 1.0.1

It's a freebie and requires 10.4.11 or later. k

Default iWeb and MobileMe

I published another group of photos on my G5. Once finished I realized that I had not given credit to who took the photos, not my wife. I also wanted to add more photos since she sent me a CD of all of the photos subsequent to my publishing. Ouch.

Decided to try adding the text and photos without starting over. Added the photos to iPhoto, added the text, and was ready to publish in iWeb. Now here is the important point. If you use Publish at the bottom left of iWeb, it republishes all of your projects to MoblieMe. Would take a lot of time. Instead republish via the Menu, this project, and it goes much faster and publishes to the exact same web address. Plus I did not get the annoying iWeb window saying servers are busy and try again in a few minutes. k

Default Combining QuickTime movies and making the audio work

All of the below was on my G5, latest Tiger 10.4.11. The original twelve movie clips that my son took with his camera were MPEG movies (.MPG) at 640x480, MPEG1 Muxed (multiplexing). I wanted to retain those dimensions but needed to convert the MPEGs to QuickTime movies (.mov).

I'm a total newbie at this. Choosing one of the MPEG movie clips, I opened it and then chose File > Save As and chose Save as a self-contained movie, and clicked Save. I did this conversion for all twelve movie clips. iDVD will not work with the MPEGs, but will with the QuickTime movies.

After doing the above, I discovered that I needed to use a utility that would convert the clip file, either the audio or both the video and audio, to another format. I chose to convert both to MPEG-4 (.mp4). Even tho iDVD Preview will yield both audio and video, burning a disc will only yield video, audio was totally absent. So I burned some coasters until I discovered an application called MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 (free). Converted all twelve movie clips to MPEG-4, I chose both audio and video to ensure they were synced.

You drag the file to be converted into the center box. Then choose File > Export to MPEG-4 which brings up this window with the selections I then chose.

When I ran the movie in QuickTime Player, the Inspector window showed this:

Exactly what I wanted. And the iDVD menu looks like this:

The Project info menu looks like this:

I was surprised how little additional capacity the QT movies added to the already automatically converted two Slideshows to movies. Used Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R White (printable), up to 16x, 4.7GB discs.

Combining Two QuickTime Movies into One
    With QuickTime Pro, you can easily add one movie to another to make one longer movie. Apple QuickTime Player Help says this is easy but I found this not so easy, plus I wanted to combine six movie clips into one. Why? Because iDVD 7.0.4 would not accept all of the original twelve movie clips but would accept the two combined clips I created.

To combine two movies:
    1. In QuickTime Player Pro Prefs > General, I left all at default except I unchecked "Automatically play movies when opened".

2. Open both movies. The second movie will open on top of the first movie so drag it to below the first movie or to the side, depending on your screen real estate.

3. Single click the first movie to make it active. In QuickTime Player, choose Edit > Select All to select the entire contents of the first movie.

4. Move the playhead to the point at which you want to insert the second movie (usually the very beginning or end of the first movie).

5. Single click the second movie to make it active. The playhead should be at the very beginning of the second movie. In QuickTime Player, choose Edit > Select All to select the entire contents of the second movie.

6. Choose Edit > Copy to copy the contents of the second movie.

7. Single click the first movie to make it active. The playhead should still be at the very end of the first movie. Choose Edit > Paste to add the contents of the second movie to the end of the first movie.

8. Choose File > Save As to name and save the new movie, still saving as a self-contained movie.

9. Similarly to add another clip, open the new combined movie and the third movie clip you want to add and exactly follow steps 2 thru 8 above.

Another way if the movies are stored in iPhoto:
    1. iPhoto wants to save a file as a single JPG frame. So double click the MPEG movie and it will launch the movie in QT Pro.

2. In QuickTime Player, choose Edit > Select All to select the entire contents of the movie.

3. Choose File > Save As and choose Save as a self-contained movie, and click Save. I did this conversion of several movie clips for practice.

Done
    Finally I have a QuickTime movie suitable for iDVD and the clips can be combined as above. I saved all of my attempts to a folder, 3.09GB, over a seven day period. Next time will try iMovie which would not work with the original files but should with the later MPEG-4 files I assume.

One other point, Transcoding video content
    Your MPEG-2 video content can be imported into QuickTime and exported to other formats such as MPEG-4, the new international standard for Internet media, QuickTime Movie or DV Stream, to name a few. The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component allows the transcode of MPEG-2 video from both multiplexed and elementary video streams. By converting your MPEG-2 video content into other formats, it can be used in new forums, such as on the web, on CD-ROM or on DV tape.
    MPEG-4
    Approved October 1998
    Scalable quality
    Based on QuickTime File Format
    Scalable delivery from cell phones to satellite TV.
    I welcome questions and certainly comments. I'm still a newbie. Discussion helps. k