Thread: Backup to usb 1.1

Default Backup to usb 1.1

How do you recommend doing a backup for iMac 350 with only usb ports?
    OS 9.1.

Which devices?
    Which software?

Hi Bailey,

Yeah, imacs are tuff...

Do you have any other Macs around that you can backup to? Network transfer would be faster.

Otherwise, any decent USB HD will do. The speed is so bad, I don't think you can really use the word speed...

But it works. The external USB drive will mount on the desktop, and away you go. You can use just about any backup software you want.... although I don't know of much for OS 9. Retrospect is out there still, and works well. Not the fastest thing to learn, but not too hard. The Home /Single user version was 49 bucks the last time I checked. It used to be that you could buy certain external drive and they would be packaged with a lite version of Retrospect.

Something like this: One touch

Not cheap - almost the value of your imac 350! - but notice you get Retrospect, plus USB 1and 2, and Fire Wire. You can use something like this for years to come, on just about any computer out there.

You may still be able to find USB 1 only drives out there for cheap, but you won't want it for anything other than imac backups...

Anybody have a cheaper solution out there? How about selling the imac, buying an older AGP G4 for 3 or 400 hundred bucks, and put a second drive in it - back up internally, plus plenty of room and possibilities to upgrade?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

The iMac belongs to a friend. I think he has decided to try to find a USB drive. Thanks for the help. As usual, the information was just what we needed.

The best solution I found was backing up my Imac 333 to another Mac.
    Way back before networking was cool.(for the consumer)
    Options in this area seem unlimited these days!

Dave