Thread: G4 takes FOREVER to start up

Question G4 takes FOREVER to start up

Hi all -

Here's a weird one for you: we've got an older G4 (I think it's a PCI model/350mhz) that runs quite nicely (OS 9.2.2), but when it powers on in the morning, it takes about 15 min. to display icons on the desktop.

Computer is connected to network with 2 other Macs all running 9.2.2. I'm trying to think when this problem first started, but I'm not at this location all the time, so I'm not sure what's different to bring this on.

Never had this problem before. Norton'd and Diskwarrior'd with no apparent difference. Turn on main power, chimes, hard drive icon appears, but then it remains there for 15 min. Only after this pause does everything else load up normally, and life resumes.

I haven't tried messing with extensions yet...any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

GENE

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

have you rebuilt the desktop database? Start up holding the Command & Option keys until asked to rebuild
    Damien,

Hi Genius,

One thing that shortened that time for me was to turn off the memory check, i.e., opening the memory control pannel with the command/option keys depressed. At the bottom of the control pannel there appears an addition check box for turning off the ram check before boot. It didn't take 15 min. to check the ram, so . . . . that may not be the problem.

Nothing new has been added that would clue you about where to look?

And if those tips don't help, why not try booting with the base extension set to see if that changes things? Nothing to lose - except 15 minutes.

Is it possible that it is trying to automatically connect to a server, or some other network issue?

Anything special about this machine, like SCSI HDs etc.?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

Run Disk Warrior as a start. But I suspect it is File-Sharing, looking for Servers (I recall hearing you should empty anything in System Folder -> Servers) and AppleTalk etc. Maybe it takes longer when one or both of the other Macs is not online?

G4/350 - Yikes!
    Last edited by TZ; 09-21-2004 at 09:26 AM.

Genius,

A friend of mine that uses File Sharing over IP said that he was having a very long start-up until he went into the Extention Manager and disabled SLPPlugin extension. Not sure how that works, but thought I'd pass it along.

Didn't see it mentioned. But didn't you try starting with extensions off -- hold down the 'shift' key at startup until you see 'Extensions off' on the splash screen.

Unlike 'base' extensions this should prevent loading of all inessential control panels, extensions, and startup items (incl. the server aliases TZ mentioned).

If it's still slow with extensions off, then it shifts the nature of the troubleshooting.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the ideas; I'll have to try them out and see where that leads me!

Thanks once again,
    GENE

Good eye eric.

Better to start at the beginning. Base is *almost* always fine, but easier to do off to start the process.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Apple talk

Uncle mac said:Is it possible that it is trying to automatically connect to a server, or some other network issue?
    I think what is happening is that the mac is first trying to find the server via TCIP and is having to revert to apple talk instead , What you can do is open you system folder in OS9, look for the server file, drag all servers into the trashh, then open selecter and then click connect via tcip, enter the servers ip address there, SLP = service location protocal, this is used to remember where the serve is it usually speads up the connection between the server and the user machine, If the server address be it;IP or Apple talk is not set correctly or has changed this will constantly search for a server before connecting the desktop. One way to get rid of missconnection is to set the IP on the server or network machines manually, this eliminates DCHP which givees what ever IP is availible on the network making it impossible to set a work station to connect VIA TCIP.