Thread: Troubleshooting Dial-Up Connection

Unhappy Problems with Safari/OSX10.3.5

Hi folks.

Hope someone out there has some insight into this. Driving me a little batty.

For the last couple of weeks, performance of Safari has been steadily degrading. It was stella, but way not so good now.

At first I started getting a prompt which said Safari couldn't connect to server... Bad Server Response... etc, It slowed down very very very much, then most recently giving the white page which sez 'Page cannot be found, might have been moved' and so on.

I could use e-mail, chat and so on, and some websites even seemed unaffected. Couldn't get on Amazon, Macgurus, Apple support. So today I Reset Safari (from the drop down menu), and it went nuts. Couldn't do anything. So I disconnected, and then reconnected and now its working fine.

I wonder what will happen when I shut down and reconnect later, or tomorrow?

Anyway the acrobatics are annoying and bothersome to say the least. There are posts on Apple Support Discussions from people having similar to the same experience.

Any ideas? Best of all, what can I do to make it purrfect again?
    Last edited by TZ; 09-14-2004 at 11:19 AM.

It kinda sounds to me like a DNS resolver problem. I've had similar problems, usually attributable to problems with my ISP's DNS servers or their routers. Since rebooting/reconnecting your machine solved it, it's probably not their routers, but could be a change in their DNS servers.

Just a guess,
    Jazzbo

Smile Thanks Jazzbo.

So, should I add DNS server address(es) in the apropriate box in the TCP/IP pane? At present that box is blank, so it should be doing its thing automatically. If Safari keeps slipping, should I complain to Earthlink? I guess I can reset, disconnect and reconnect and so on, but that seems silly to have to do.

Lightbulb

Clean up your icon folder and cache (in fact, use Safari Enhancer and disable the disk cache). Also, you don't mention but I would assume anyone on cable uses a router, if only for addition of firewall and sharing connection with others.

If you haven't, download the latest java from https://connect.apple.com (ADC has a free membership option). Any other updates. And make sure you run Repair Permissions when done.

Download files to a drive other than the system boot drive. Put your home directory on another drive helps this and overall system performance.

Use Coctail (or PCC etc) to optimize broadband. Sometimes it helps both with either dial-up or broadband.

Question Ok. Here we go.

First, I'm using dial-up.
    Second, how do I clean up icon folder? Where is it on the menus and so on? I have emptied the cache. How do I find (or otherwise get) Safari enhancer and disable the disk cache?
    The latest Java I know of is 1.4.2, which I installed when I went to 10.3 about a month ago. I have the OEM drive only, and am planning a fairly radical upgrade in the next few months, so I can't do any fancy dancing with data yet. Cocktail huh? Don't have it on this machine but if it gets your recommendation, I'll look into that. Can you do some voodoo and get broadband out here to Loma Mar? I've tried!!

So, should I add DNS server address(es) in the apropriate box in the TCP/IP pane? At present that box is blank, so it should be doing its thing automatically.
    Maybe yes; maybe no. ("Do you know what this is?" (Sorry, random Firesign Theatre memory.))

If Earthlink provided you with DNS server addresses, then yes, load 'em in. If they didn't, they're relying on the PPP setup to pass the correct DNS server IP addresses to your machine at connection time; load up addresses and they might work today and be nonsense tomorrow.

If Safari keeps slipping, should I complain to Earthlink? I guess I can reset, disconnect and reconnect and so on, but that seems silly to have to do.
    That's not a happy thing. Has this only recently starting getting you? If it's been stable for weeks on end and now, all of a sudden, you're having these problems, you might check with Earthlink to see if they've got a problem they're working on and, if not, describe what's happening and ask them to check what's going on in your area code.

Jazzbo

I dont know about a MAC but in linux/bsd do:

dig google.com
    dig ebay.com
    dig yahoo.com

Check response time

Cat /etc/resolv.conf

Should look like:

nameserver 192.168.1.97
    nameserver 192.168.1.99
    nameserver 167.206.3.229

if you have:

search domain.com

kill it. There are tons of documented issues with that. Try other name servers by editing /etc/resolv.conf and restarting the named client.

Hope this helps. I have not tried it on a mac yet...
    Help me win my free IPOD and get one of your own!

IPOD

Connect to your ISP and open a terminal. Type:

traceroute 167.206.3.229

Copy and paste the results in here. Do the same for the DNS resollution (dig command). Let me see em. Of course, if they look good it could very well be a browser issue. Did you run update yet? Try IE or FireFox?
    Help me win my free IPOD and get one of your own!

IPOD

Lightbulb

There is an ongoing www.macfixit.com (and probably MacIntouch also) on dial-up issues with 10.3.5 and the latest Java Update and how it affects dial-up users more often.

Coctail can help via its "optimize for dial-up."
    Safari can be addressed via the ADC 1.42 Java Update2 (26MB)

Get to know where programs store files.

Safari has its own
    ~/Library/Safari - in which is the icon folder that can get corrupted and slow down loading web pages.

~/Library/Application Support/ is another

~/Library/Caches/ is another

I wouldn't just throw out all cache files and folders though except as major problem, and then I would use Panther Cache Cleaner - gradually (lite, medium, first and only then use its "heavy cache cleaning" option).

Definitely Repair Permissions and either use the terminal to fix Ownership Permissions or use Batchmod.

Most software can be found easily enough on
    www.macupdate.com or www.versiontracker.com
    there are mini-reviews and links in
    General Help FAQ for Disk Utilities
    Troubleshooting OS X
    OS X Browsers
    Last edited by TZ; 09-14-2004 at 11:15 AM.

Those commands from mortation are all to be entered in the Terminal application (under /Applications/Utilities).

When you launch Terminal, you'll see what's called a "prompt string" on the window after a short banner. Something like
    Last login: Mon Sep 13 15:25:44 on ttyp5
    Welcome to Darwin!
    You have new mail.
    gabrieli%
    Where that last line is the prompt for input. Mine is set to include the hostname (gabrieli) with a trailing %. Enter commands only when you see that prompt string, sort of like
    gabrieli% dig google.com
    {....output of dig command....}
    gabrieli% dig yahoo.com
    {....output of another dig command....}
    gabrieli%
    traceroute 167.206.3.229
    {....output of traceroute command....}
    gabrieli%
    When you've nabbed that stuff, post it back here for mortation's cogitation.

Also note that in TZ's comments, the tilde character (~) stands for your home directory, so ~/Library means the Library directory (folder) inside your home directory.

"Hoo let me in here anyway?"
    Hey! Everyone has to start at the beginning! At least you know that all requests of Doctor Memory must be questions, Clem Clone! Also, realize that we're all just grasping at the first stages of "Problem Determination", and it may or may not take awhile to get down to the actual issue at hand and figure out a solution.

Jazzbo

Lightbulb

To go into the Network System Preference.
    To create a new "Location."
    To only enable the modem used for dial-up.

A tip on www.macfixit.com last Friday and Monday about PPP Connection Problems.
    Details on Safari and Airport Express Base Station. Problematic dial-up connections.
    Also see earlier report on dial-up issues
    Possible solutions

Disable all other ports Try creating a new network location (in the "Network" pane of System Preferences), then scroll down to "Network Port Configurations" in the "Show:" menu. Uncheck all network ports except for the dial-up device ("Internal Modem" in most cases).

Change modem definition In the "Show:" menu of "Network" pane, select "Internal Modem." Click on the "Modem" tab, and then select "Apple Internal Modem (v.34)" rather than "Apple Internal Modem (v.92)." Some users have found that using the alternate modem definition allows smoother connectivity.

Remove phones from same line Try systematically removing any phones from the same line on which you are attempting to dial-up, as some users report possible interference. James Roberts writes "However the problem only occurs when certain telephones are plugged into the line - when I take the phone off the line it's fine and when I plug other telephone handsets in, it is also fine."

Change IPv6 settings In the "Show:" menu of "Network" pane, select "Internal Modem." Click on the "TCP/IP" tab and then click "Configure IPv6." Choose "Off" in the resulting pull-down menu.
    (Note: MacFixit articles are only free for a couple days, after which you need a Pro Account $20/yr.)
    Last edited by TZ; 09-14-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Lightbulb

Last edited by TZ; 09-15-2004 at 10:09 AM.