Thread: Dead G3 B&W

Default Dead G3 B&W

My G3 B&W 450 has suddenly died. No fans, no lights, no disks, no sounds.
    Yes it is plugged in. A few days ago it was working--tonight nothing.

My first guess is power supply, but could it be the mother board or something else.

There should be a cuda button or something like that on the motherboard. Might be worth a go. I was having trouble with my B&W back awhile and there was some discussion on these forums. If you try the search function it might locate some helpful posts until someone comes along with concrete advice.

Lightbulb Refuses to start

Disconnect the power plug, remove battery - over night - disconnect the hard drive(s) and equipment. (Invest in a UPS such as APC RS800). When was the battery last tested or replaced?

See this (pertains to PCI Graphics G4):
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95066

Reset nvram via Open Firmware:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

I have removed 2 video cards, SCSI card, disconnected drives, left battery out over night, tested batttery (good), pressed CUDA, removed memory, disconnected monitor and keyboard. Tested using switch on front after each one. Nothing happens. It is as if it were not plugged in. I assume there is no fuse in the line.

Bailey,

It could be the motherboard or the powersupply. Maybe you can use the service manual to determine which. Here's a link to my iDisk where I have a copy stashed: Service Manual

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Problem solved. The power supply had become disconnected from mother board. After 25 years of dealing with computers, sometimes the most obvious is overlooked.

HA

A general brought down by a lowly pack beast. Happened before, I'm sure.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Happens to the best of us...