Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: attempt at moving home directory

Default move Users home directory

used netinfo and instructions in the Missing Manual, pg.372, to move my home directory to a partition so it would be separated from the partition where i keep my OS and apps...man, scarey...

it's like it no longer was part of the OS...all my prefs went back to the way the OS was right out of the box, and my newly moved home directory was bare, nothing that i'd saved in there until now moved with it...

happily, i just undid what i typed into netinfo and everything is back the way i had it...whew...what a test drive, my heart rate must have shot up a hundred beats...

i guess this method won't work for what i want to do, any suggestions?

...perhaps it's the bombich way or bust, if i use terminal and things get crazy is there a way to undo what i type in?...m

Momo,

I have a feeling we should keep this together with the old thread. But I'm such a bad moderator, I'm afraid of hosing your post if I try. I'll leave it to one of the experienced types.

I'm not familiar with the Pogue Missing Manual technique; I don't own the book.

But from what you described, it sounds like the initial copying of Users/Home directory to the new partition failed. If nothing got transferred, then after your changes in NetInfo, once you log in it's as if you have a blank or brand new Home directory.

Question, when you logged in after modifying with NetInfo (when you had the default look), where was your active Home directory? That is, which Home directory showed the home icon? If it was the (failed) copy on the partition, then that's good. At least we know you're doing things right in NetInfo.

Note: When you enter the path in NetInfo Manager, it's really important to get the syntax right. Case (upper/lower) matters, e.g. it's /Volumes not /volumes. Some processes and apps won't care about the case, but some apps will kicking up error messages. In the past I had problems with Cocoa apps when the syntax to my moved path wasn't correct.

After you tried to copy the User/Home directory, did you take a quick peak inside to see if your stuff was there?

I'd say try this again. Sounds like the breakdown is happening at the copying stage. If you want verification first. Tell us how you're copying the Users/Home directory to the new partition.

(One good thing comes out of this, at least you're learning the importance of keeping the original around and how to undo things if you ever wanna put it back.)

Lightbulb Lost home folder

/Volumes/volumename/

Believe it or not, I have my "home directory" at top level, not in some "Users" folder with "shortname" which would require

/Volumes/volumename/Users/TZ

but as /Volumes/TZ_Home
    and that is what is entered in NetInfo Manager for home directory path.

Save the changes with command + S.
    Update this copy of NetInfo
    Logout
    Log back in.

When you are booted, type Command + H to open the home folder. I like to have a custom toolbar that lets you see where a folder is nested. If you are at some place like

Mac OS X/Volumes/

It didn't make it. It is easy to make a mistake. But easier to use NetInfo to make the change.

When you copied files, and you can do most of it in Finder, did you copy your home Library only?
    Did you do a Get Info on the volume in question and uncheck "Ignore Permissions?"

sorry, eric, for starting a new thread...please feel free to move it as you see fit...

perhaps i goofed, the instructions were for Moving Your Home Folder Between Computers...i wanted to move my home folder to another partition on the same disk...

what i did...Netinfo window: in the second column i clicked users, then in the column to its right i clicked on the name of my account, my home folder, momo...in the bottom half of window i clicked on home and to it's right i changed /Users/momo to /Volumes/freedom...freedom is the name of the partition i want my home folder on...

logged out, logged in...before the icon for freedom was the standard OS X harddrive...now the little house for home was there on the desktop...there was nothing i had copied into my library, like my fonts...it seemed all new...and all the things i'd added to the dock, preferences for safari, mail, etc, all back to the default setting when you first install OS X...

what an exciting morning i had...i mean i am liking this new system, and learning to use it...like the speed of the new harddrive too...very nice...

m

hi, again, tz...no i didn't look at the check info window and uncheck ignore permissions...right now the Ownership and Permissions section on my partition, freedom, has all the catergories grayed out...i guess cause it's still locked...owner says system, group says admin, there is a box that is unchecked at the bottom that says Ignore ownership on this volume...does this need to be checked?...

m

Unhappy OmniDiskSweeper

HOW did you move your files?

I can't find in your story anything to point to why, or, where that is.

to change permissions easily, Batchmod should be on everyone's hard drive utilities.

Product╩Description:
    BatChmod is a Cocoa utility for manipulating file and folder privileges in Mac OS X (10.1 recommended). It allows the manipulation of ownership as well as the privileges associated to the Owner, Group or others. Here are some of the characteristics of BatChmod:
    It's simple and elegant
    It allows one to change any specific privilege or ownership without affecting the others (ie, changing the group without affecting the owner, or adding or removing a specific privilege without affecting all the others)
    It can recursively affect enclosed folders
    It's basically a mix of the Unix commands chown, chgrp and chmod...
    it can Force Empty the Trash

grab a copy of OmniDiskSweeper

This makes it easy to navigate hidden folders and directories in such cases.
    Usually it is a typo. Sometimes a disk drive doesn't get mounted.

There is directory "/Volumes" that should only have mount points. In your case, your 'fake' home directory is probably there AND I always had to go in and nuke the fake home directory or it would always be wrong. Which would also reside on your startup volume.

OS X Utility Library
    Last edited by TZ; 08-12-2004 at 06:58 AM.

Momo,

Ah o.k. I guess I saw this as a general 'moving the Users/Home directory' -- whether to another system or partition. Same general ideas in place, but the different situations call for ever so slight differences. If you've done this sort of thing a bit, those differences aren't a big deal. But for those who haven't those differences can be huge.

in the second column i clicked users, then in the column to its right i clicked on the name of my account, my home folder, momo...in the bottom half of window i clicked on home and to it's right i changed /Users/momo to /Volumes/freedom...freedom is the name of the partition i want my home folder on...
    So first thing first. Where do you want your Home directory? As a folder/directory on the partition called 'freedom'? Or do you want your home directory 'freedom' itself -- the whole partition?

From the above description, "i changed /Users/momo to /Volumes/freedom", you've set the partition 'freedom' as your Home directory. That is, the entire partition is set as your Home directory, not a particular folder/directory on 'freedom'.

But you later say "freedom is the name of the partition i want my home folder on", which indicates you want your Home directory/folder as a separate folder/directory residing on the partition 'freedom'.

I'm just trying to get clear what your plan is in order to ensure that what you've copied over resides in the right place. I believe what you want (based on what you've said) is to have your Home directory be a separate folder residing on the partition called 'freedom'; if that's the case skip down to the item (2) below and ignore what's inbetween.

--------------
    A word of caution on this, if your plan is to have the entire partition, 'freedom' be your Home directory -- which is what you've done. You'll note that your username momo is not identical to the name of your Home directory, which you've set as freedom. You'll note that by default your username and Home directory are identical. I'm not 100% sure this matters, but a Unix guru I know mentioned that non-identical names could break some shellscripts. Jazzbo though will need to weigh in on this.
    --------------

Let's try separating your two options:

(1) Suppose you want the partition (now called 'freedom') to be your Home directory, then for the moment you can try naming it 'momo' instead. So the path in NetInfo Manager would be: /Volumes/momo. Then you need to make sure that the partition contains folders/directories which emulate your original Home directory. That is, when you open the partition re-named 'momo', you should see directories like: Applications, Documents, Library, etc. And of course in those folders is where you want to stick the copies from your original Home directory.

(2) Now suppose you don't want the partition, now called 'freedom', to be the Home directory. Rather, you want your Home directory to be folder/directory on that partition, then you've set the path incorrectly in NetInfo manager. The path you would naturally want is: /Volume/freedom/momo. Where 'momo' is a directory/folder on 'freedom', and 'momo' is your Home directory. The contents of 'momo' should include copies or your original Home directory. Check that inside, you indeed have those files. Reset the path correctly. Logout and log back in.

Momo,

Just type the path you wanted to use. That should be all we need to go forward.

Some methods, and probably what was in "Missing Manual" would have called for something more normal like:

/Volumes/freedom/Users/mono

and you would have had to copy your home library to folder Users/mono

One easy was to 'fix' the problem with the fake home directory is to rename your volume "freedom" to a new name.

/Volumes/FreedomII/Users/mono

tz, should i use carbon copy cloner to move my home folder to where i want it and then use netinfo to point to where it is?...is that what you mean?...cause i didn't physically copy over anything, you know drag the home folder over to the new location...

and eric, yes, #2...i want my home folder to be on that partition...exactly...just want to make sure it stays linked...so my OS and apps can find whatever they need...

i'm gonna wait a couple hours, i'm beat, it's hot and i'm tired, then i'll reset the path as you've suggested and give it a go...thanks for your help...m

ok, so i had to see if this would work...opened netinfo and used /Volumes/freedom/momo as eric suggested...

now i did get my home folder on the partition, freedom, when i logged in, but just like before, my computer didn't open with any of my prefs, it was the default OS coming up, and the new home folder on freedom didn't have all the things i copied into the original...

i wonder where my stuff goes when this happens, cause i just redo the info in netinfo and voila, all my prefs and drivers and whatnot come back like magic...

m

Cool Moving Home Directory, Pointing to new location

You can use CCC to remove everything but /Users to copy over. Or Finder. Or Tri-Backup. If you didn't physically move anything... then yes, the system will create an empty default account. Just as you saw.

... and when I said "type the path" I meant, type it in your reply to this thread so I could see what it was, same as we have been "guessing" it was.

If you use CCC, you will end up with /Users/mono. There are some things that get stored in "Shared" (/Users/Shared) that are used by applications, such as Canon LiDE scanner. So you need that folder present.

Sounds like David Pogue should do a better job of outlining what is happening and required more clearly.

remember, NONE of us had it easy either the first couple times. We also learned "the hard way" and the more mistakes made and seen, the better to help others hopefully avoid the same lessons and mistakes, and be clearer in offering ideas and suggestions.

So have a cold one, on us!

Lightbulb

Your "stuff" is likely on root volume you boot from (mine is "Mac OS X") in the Volumes (hidden) subfolder "freedom" rather than on the hard drive partition freedom.

Nuke/kill (delete) what you see in "/Volumes" using Finder or Path Finder or OmniDiskSweeper or something. It is preventing you. Which is why, easy way around, is to rename freedom to freedom2 and use /Volumes/freedom2 in NetInfo Manager to get around it.

New home directory path:
    /Volumes/freedom2/Users/mono

That should work.

tz

the first time i tried i did this:

/Users/momo to /Volumes/freedom

the second time:

/Users/momo to /Volume/freedom/momo

still not working right...why is everything going to default?

oh, and tz, thanks for that link to OS X utilities...tons i've never heard of...m

Arrow

A. you have to move your library etc over to some new location (freedom/mono or freedom/users/mono).

B. before you can/should, you need to remove what is "in" the FOLDER 'freedom' that is inside of "/Volumes/freedom" that resides on boot volume. (I've seen entire drives, 40GB worth, in there taking up space).

From the Finder type Command + Shift + G
    in the search field type /Volumes
    type Command + 2 (list view)
    open each folder to see what is inside

Momo,

TZ and I are casting about for where your copied Home directory is on freedom. That in a way determines the correct path. I had assumed it was at the root level of freedom, hence:

/Volumes/freedom/momo

TZ (and I now) are wondering where the stuff is that moved. If it got copied over inside the /Users directory, then you'd need path like:

/Volumes/freedom/Users/momo

But what we really need is a description of where the directory is that has the copied stuff -- just in plain english. Once we know that, then we can help you set the correct path.

Can you see the stuff you copied over once you've made changes in NetInfo manager? That is, when you've logged and in you're getting the default setup, can you see and navigate the copied stuff? If you can see some of the stuff, but can't get inside certain folders -- you're blocked -- that indicates the permissions aren't right on the directory. Getting blocked out of say your copied over 'Library' can force a default setup. If that's the problem, we'll need something like Batchmod to fix it.

----------------------
    But if you can't see any of the stuff you copied over at all I wonder if you be having a problem (I've sometime seen) with the phantom 2d copy of the volume. Do this if the stuff you've copied over is nowhere to be found. Once you've logged in and are seeing default setup, launch terminal. Type in the following: ls /Volumes

That's an little 'L'. That will list all mounted volumes. What you're on the lookout for is two freedoms in the event there should only be one -- that is, you created only one. One called 'freedom' and a second one probably called 'freedom2' or 'freedom1'. If you're seeing duplicates (when you know you created one), indication the mountpoints are off. Try restarting your machine to see if that fixes the mountpoints.

Unfortunately I've got to run and will be away for a few days. So I won't be able to guide you through fixing the mountpoints if the restart doesn't cure the problem. If this is the problem, then someone send the batsignal to Jazzbo. (The fix is simple enough, you got to delete the duplicate (best while logged in as root), but you really want to make sure you delete the right one.)

Sorry to leave you hanging on this one. But I leave you in good hands with TZ.

"The most straightforward way I know of to move your home directory from the root disk to your freedom volume..."

I've moved this write-up into a new thread, here.

Jazzbo
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 08-16-2004 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Exported to a new thread

Lightbulb

A couple of comments:

I always leave ~/Users/shortname/Library in case the drive that now stores /Users doesn't mount, you have a "backup" and won't be faced with default preferences etc. Remove most of the media files etc to prune the boot volume after you've got a backup as well as moved it to new home directory.

Whether there is a /Users folder or not, you can still have any assortment of folders. If there aren't any other accounts that will use the drive, unnecessary to add two top level folders.

No need to use or create root account.

Tri-Backup has to be the easiest backup program to use. All that is needed is to create the Users folder (Command + Shift +N) and rename it from "untitled folder" to "Users".

I still think NetInfo Manager should allow an Open dialogue to find and locate the new directory. And, allow dropping the folder on NetInfo Window in the path field. Same manner as Disk Utility Restore field to copy a drive to destination.

Any method should work. Some people had trouble following Mike Bombich's instructions. Or uncomfortable with terminal. If the whole idea of a Mac OS and ease of use and great XServe administration tools is their ease of use, it seems it should apply here.

My experiments have shown that as of 10.3 it is possible to drag Users from Drive A to B, launch NIM, set the new path, Save, Update, logout/in and be done.

It gets to be trouble when the path is wrong and you now have a user account under /Volumes. Which also happens when a drive isn't available or didn't mount when you booted.

jazzbo, tz, eric...i'll have to get back to this first thing in the am...i'm reading and nothing's sinking in...maybe i'll have one of those cold one's now...m

hi, jazzbo...wow,
    thanks for taking time to send all this...i wanted to ask some questions, but wanted to open terminal first, that might have explained some things...i can't seem to get a window open...i open the program and a window opens but all i can see of it is the very top left hand corner, just enough so i can click the window to close...when i go to the file menu and click on New Shell i get the same little upper left hand corner...weird...

on question for the overall in #3...do i type all that into one window?...with line spaces just like you have 'em?...

i'll probably attack this on sunday if my terminal program lets me by opening a window...i've got more time then...

i'm not sure what to make of the comments tz made after your post...not that i agree or disagree, i just don't know enough about all this..

m

Lightbulb Terminal window

M -

When you launch Terminal, go to Terminal on the menu bar, go down to "Window Settings... "

Click on Shell and there will be a drop down list.
    Click on Window.
    Set it to something like 80 x 24 or larger.
    Click on "Use Settings as Defaults."

Quit and relaunch.