Thread: New HD, Best way to transfer data?

Default New HD, Best way to transfer data?

I'm going to install a 120gig HD on my G3 B&W (upgraded to a G4 Processor). What is the bast way to transfer everything on my old 6gig HD to this new one in order to make it my main drive?

What OS are you using? 9.x or a 10.x? There are 3-4 methods and programs. With a "new drive" I like to install everything fresh/clean if you have all your CD's but then you spend time tweaking your settings.

Just drag it over - some do this I don't care to.
    CCC - http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

TZ has created a wealth of info right here.

Randy
    Last edited by rwm; 08-08-2004 at 05:13 PM.

Look at the B&W G3 Upgrade. Also, the www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-Zone/index.html whether rev 1 or 2. Most people choose PCI ATA or such to get the 53MB/sec of one of today's better drives, regardless of whether rev 1 or 2. RAM is another stickler. The difference is "night and day," or more like going from 10MB/sec to 45-53MB/sec (if the drive has 8MB cache it will feel and run smoother and better).

TriBackup is nice. Disk Utility Restore works fine also, as does CCC. As long as it isn't OS X system itself, so does the Finder.

If you have rev 1, don't even try to transfer the files with both drives installed. Move the 6GB to Firewire. You can't boot from FW, but you can access files.

I'm using the last generation of B&w G3's so I guess that would be rev2 running OS 10.3.4 with a 500mhz G4 processor. i also have 1GB of ram.

You don't mention if or how your connecting the new HD. But listen to TZ you need an ATA host card. It would be a shame to put a new/er drive on the stock bus that will only transfer data at ~10-15 MB/sec vs. a host card that can run up to ~50 MB/sec. A new or newer drive can deliver over 40 MB/sec easily depending on the drive if brand new than 45+ MB/sec.

You will expect your new drive to be faster, snappier as it should but you won't see much if any difference on the stock bus.

Randy

The old drive was 11MB/sec but the ATA/33 bus is capable of 33-35MB/sec with the right drive in there (Hitachi 7K250 or such).

Rev 2 would eliminate the data corruption issue of slave drive on IDE bus.

If you were doing it again from scratch, I'd have recommended SATA. The controller is good and under $70, the drives are top notch. And you could use 10K Raptor or 160GB+ drive. Part of the reason is more read-write heads and platters and the high density drives equals best performance.

To just remove the data, then remove the old drive, go ahead. If you DO move it to a PCI controller, you will have to reinitialize. 10.3.4 runs nice on those machines when done right. Having one drive for system and another for media or home folder also helps overcome the ATA bottleneck and B&W bottleneck - both. Limited to 53MB/sec but with two channels, one for each drive, none on the same bus, you can get effective 100MB/sec or at least the system isn't waiting on other I/O operations.

filthy

Probably more than you'll ever need right in here. http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showt...ghlight=backup

Here is what I have inside the box. I have two of the original 6 gig drives running off the main ATA bus. My other 120 gig drive and 40 gig drive are running off of an UltraTek 66 card. Everything runs pretty darn nice but as you can see I would like to get rid of the two 6 gig drives.

Can you see how it helps us to know what you have? and hurts when asked for advise on incomplete details of your system? Or we assume based on what we see.

Lightbulb Backup, relocate Users

1. Backup software from the General FAQ
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18751

2. Relocating User Directory
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15935

3. General FAQ
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showt...8114#post68114

4. Erase/Partition, run First Aid (Disk Utility) and Disk Warrior as well as Repair Permissions. I also like to run Panther Cache Cleaner.

5. Use Disk Utility Restore, CCC, or Tri-Backup 4.02 (or another of the OS X synchronize programs that WILL create a bootable backup).

CCC lets you, and defaults, to not copying cache folders that when copied would cause trouble.