Thread: Dead G4 - Sawtooth

Default Dead G4 - Sawtooth

I looked around to see if there was a thread close to this, but after looking through 10 pages I didn't see one...so here goes.

I have a G4 Sawtooth, upgraded to 1.4 Ghz (Sonnet), 2 GB RAM, 2 internal drives, Pioneer 106 DVD RW, APC surge. I came home after running errands to see the power light off which is not unusual if a power outage happened; which only happens every once in a while. Pushing the power button resulted in nothing, after much diagnosing (power cord, different power source, etc.) I took it to my Apple repair shop.

He said the power supply was dead, I said put one in, he called back saying he got the O with the line through it, and a kernel panic. Then he said it was probably the logic board. Long story short, I said I would pick up my old trusty G4 and work on a solution.

The G4 is in my computer room, and when I get the time I would like to see about repairing it. I need advice on how/if I can pin it down to the logic board for sure, and where to get one (and a power supply). I have some resources to go to, but have found nothing yet; nor any prices.

I would like to make it my server on my network, replacing my 9600 (it too has served me well). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

If you have the original Sawtooth processor, and it's the original Sawtooth logic board, then Apple Hardware Test may be able to confirm or eliminate the logic board as the source of your problem. Of course, that also assumes you have AHT and that it will start the Sawtooth.

Will the machine make any attempt to start now, like from an OS install CD?

Have you tried to boot into Open Firmware and reset nvram?

How about resetting the PMU?

Does "APC surge" mean just that, a surge suppressor, or a UPS with PowerChute?

Do you know specifically what tests your Apple repair shop ran?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems to me that if the repair shop got it to boot into a kernel panic, then maybe it's not the PSU. If indeed you suffered a hard power outage with no UPS then directory damage may have occurred. Do you have Disk Warrior? There you go, circularly back to a previous question, will it boot at all?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Lightbulb

Instead of looking at threads, go to the FAQ in my .sig and also look at the MDD References which has links to various people that sell parts etc. (there is also some information on APC UPSs).

Pull out all of the RAM and see if it does a POST test.
    Try with one RAM module.
    Try without any hard drives also.

There are links to Apple articles, "Won't Boot" and "Hardware & Software Troubleshooting."

Default Dead Sawtooth - additional info

Quote Originally Posted by biggles
    If you have the original Sawtooth processor, and it's the original Sawtooth logic board, then Apple Hardware Test may be able to confirm or eliminate the logic board as the source of your problem. Of course, that also assumes you have AHT and that it will start the Sawtooth.

Will the machine make any attempt to start now, like from an OS install CD?

Have you tried to boot into Open Firmware and reset nvram?

How about resetting the PMU?

Does "APC surge" mean just that, a surge suppressor, or a UPS with PowerChute?

Do you know specifically what tests your Apple repair shop ran?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems to me that if the repair shop got it to boot into a kernel panic, then maybe it's not the PSU. If indeed you suffered a hard power outage with no UPS then directory damage may have occurred. Do you have Disk Warrior? There you go, circularly back to a previous question, will it boot at all?
    Thanks for the reply - I had forgotten about posting the question and am glad you took the time to answer. No, I have not gotten the machine to boot, but that's because it is sitting waiting me to get back to work on it.

I purchased a power supply and need to install it and then go forward. I do agree with you that a kernel panic seems to mean the machine may boot, just not to the drives in the machine. That was my plan, to put the power supply in and see if I could get it to boot off a CD of some sort. I had not thought of the AHT, and don't have one for the G4 - will the one for my G5 work?

The computer at that time was on a surge suppressor, not a UPS - which is what the G5 is on now (along with the Bulldog-Belkin). None of the other equipment (printers, etc.) were affected by what I presumed was a power surge, so it isn't 100% positive it was that.

How does one boot into Open Firmware on the G4/Sawtooth? As for the PMU, I believe I know that is the switch on the logic board that one depresses - correct?

I have DiskWarrior (just ordered the updated CD for the G5) and that too will be one of the avenues I take when analyzing the condition of the G4/Sawtooth.

Glad you asked "so many questions" because it gives me a couple additional things to think of about with this issue.

Speaking about older Macs - do you know where I should post a question about a PowerBook G3/Wallstreet? It's also upgraded with a Sonnet processor and over the weekend began to act funny (the spinning ball and dock bounces are way too fast compared to previously).

Thanks again for your input.
    Tom
    G5 DP 1.8 Ghz (born June 05)
    G4 1.4 Ghz (RIP)
    G3 PB

How does one boot into Open Firmware on the G4/Sawtooth? As for the PMU, I believe I know that is the switch on the logic board that one depresses - correct?
    There are links to those in the FAQ which will take you to the Apple tech notes. Because AHT is OS X it should really work with any older system. I guess I need to try that myself, but my B&W probably won't

Default Thanks -

I had been looking at the FAQ's and bookmarked a number of the topics there to refer to later. Is booting into Openfirmware like Single-User Mode? That's being lazy, I know -- the answers are in the FAQ's.

Will report in when I have been able to delve further into the G4's issues.
    Tom
    G5 DP 1.8 Ghz (born June 05)
    G4 1.4 Ghz (RIP)
    G3 PB

OF will bring up a window with a prompt like....

> type stuff here
    hit return

Lightbulb

Okay, it is "hidden" in the sub-topic on NVRAM and Open Firmware (which are a topic unto itself).
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

... stuff to work on improving tomorrow...