Thread: G5 and legacy monitor

Default G5 and legacy monitor

Hello!

I'm going to be receiving a G5 this next week or so and am planning on using it with an ol' Hitachi RasterOps 7515 I got from the 'Gurus back in '99. The monitor still works fine (very well in fact, it's been babied) and I just figured I'd check to see if there're any caveats about using technology of that era with the new beast. I stuck with the default ATI 128MB card.

Thanks in advance!

Iver

None that I am aware of. Your G5 will have a DVI to VGA converter....plug and play.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks! Just wanted to check and appreciate the advice!

One additional question about these concepts:

I have an additional VGA monitor that I'd like to use...is it permissible/possible to connect the ADC port to a VGA monitor? is this not advised?

If possible, does one have to go:

ADC -> DVI -> VGA

and use 2 connectors/adapters?

Thanks again!

I did a quick search and see that on MacConnection there's two ADC to VGA cable/adapter dealies, one by Griffin ($24.95) and one by Dr. Bott ($31.44).

Is there any reason that one should be careful about such things or any caveats regarding their use?

I'd'a gotten it from the 'Gurus, but no such thingie is offered. ;-)

I'll probably just nab the Griffin and hope not to have to return it!

Thanks in advance for humoring my excessive caution regarding my new beast!

Yes and No.

Yes, you can go ADC -> VGA, and no you don't need two adapters.

Try one of these
    . We have about 8 of them at work, with various monitors and video cards, no problems.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Excellent, thanks! I was just in the process of ordering and appreciate the advice!

Hello Again,

Another question regarding this rig...

ADC port (w/ Dr. Bott ADC -> VGA adapter): NEC Multisync1530V 15" LCD at 1024 x 768 at 75Hz. Seems to be behaving fine.

DVI port (w/ Apple DVI -> VGA adapter): Hitachi Mc7515 Rasterops 19" CRT at 1152 x 870 at 75Hz. Seems to have a little "shake" to the video...sort of a very slight "quiver".

Both are connected using good quality 6' VGA cable extenders (in particular, the best Belkin cable available is attached to the Hitachi).

Other than the little shake, the Hitachi looks _great_, better than the NEC, in fact. The Hitachi was attached to a beige G3 for a number of years, but was, for lack of a better term, babied and never left on for long periods of time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Iver

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default Me Too!

I have a rasterops 7515 that I also got from the gurus. Oddly enough I got it in 1999 also, with the Blue & White G3/350 DVD. It has been a great screen. It has also been on my 733 Digital Audio, my Dual 1.0ghz MDD and is now on my Dual 1.8 G5. Work just great with the G5
    Damien,

Iver,

Just as a test, eliminate the Belkin extender and see if you still get the shake. Another thought, try a different setting than 1152 x 870 at 75Hz. First try other than 75Hz, if available, while still at 1152 x 870. Then experiment with another resolution.

I don't have a 7515 but with my 21" CRT and Apple DVI -> VGA adapter and the same 1152 x 870 at 75Hz, I have tested 3 diffferent AGP video cards in two G4s, a QuickSilver and an MDD, and never seen the shake. Also tested several different resolutions and Hz settings with nary a problem. k

Kaye,

Thanks for the suggestions!

Get a load of this: I went and popped the sucker open to swap some PCI card slot positions (gory details in the "PCI vs. PCI-X" thread under "G5"), _re-route_ the cables slightly and it appears that the jitter problem was automagically corrected.

Not that I'm complaining! ;-)

Say, do you know how to reset one of those Hitachis to its default settings? Is it just a matter of "centering" the on-screen sliders? I do still have a little pincushion/trapezoid that's been annoying me. It really isn't that much, but I was just curious if there's a switch or button I'm failing to see.

One final thought: that 6-year old RasterOps looks way nicer next to that 3-year old NEC. ;-) Whites are significantly cleaner.

Thanks again!

Iver

Love those automagic fixes. Someone else will have to answer your Hitachi question. I've only worked with Apple, Sony, and Nokia monitors. k

Well I have never discovered a "Reset to default" button but it should be very easy to take care of that geometry problem with the front controls. Trapezoid is the 4th button from the left and right side only Trap is the 5th button. + & - to make the adjustments.
    Damien,

Folks,

I appreciate the feedback!

Kaye, indeed, I'm thinking that the jitter/shake issue might indeed have been a cable issue, in particular as regards shielding, ala what Dave (Macaholic) was saying in my thread about VGA cable extenders.

...the cables _were_ lying right next to the box (Mac) itself.

Damien, a q for you, is there any "principle" that you employ in tweaking the thing as regards there being a "global" pincushion and trapezoid control and then a right, but no left, pincushion and trapezoid controls? This does kinda puzzle me. Am I missing something. They are great monitors even if they don't have the tiny footprints of the LCDs.

Thanks again for the info!

iver

Only that you should adjust the left trap/pin using the "global" trap/pin control and after the left side is perfect then adjust the right side to match it.

As for that shake... I have a server closet that houses my two server Macs. It is VERY tight quarters in there and the monitor on my email server has a broken power switch. The ONLY place to put the surge protector where I can get at it to plug/unplug the monitor is directly beneath the front edge of that monitor. It shakes and shimmys and has waves in it because of the power so close by but if I move the surge protector away from the screen it is rock solid. I mostly use VNC to admin that Mac from my G5 anyway so I hardly ever turn that screen on anyway.
    Damien,

Gotcha on both points. I think I may just be getting too picky as regards the monitor's appearance as well.

Thanks again!