Thread: G5 SCSI

Question G5 SCSI

Hi Guys,

This is my first thread here at Macgurus so here it goes. I just bought a new 1.8 Dual G5, running 10.3.4. I have a Umax Powerlook 2100XL scanner that was running fine on my old G4. I thought I'd get clever and skip the Scisi and so I bought an Adaptec USBXchange adapter. Trouble is it only runs up to OS 9.2 ????
    So I have to return it and now I'm lost. Can I put the Adaptec SCSI card from the G4 in the new G5, will it work? If not what are my other options?

Thanks,

Ando.

controllers can't be the 5 v. type. The 2930/2906 won't work (you didn't mention which Adaptec card you have). The 29160N is fine, as are some from ATTO.

There is a PCI G5 FAQ and Compatibility Report
    www.xlr8yourmac.com

There are notes in Apple Knowledge Base with photo of what each card type looks like and on PCI support.

it is also a common topic on Apple Discussions, with people reporting which cards worked, and why to avoid the FW-to-SCSI adapters.

Also, the Initio Miles2 in the MacGurus Store -> SCSI controllers is fully supported, requires 68-to-50 pin cable or appropriate adapter.

Default Ava-2906

Hi TZ,

Thanks for getting back to me.

OK, I took out the card, it's an Adaptec AVA-2906. Any good?
    Sorry, but I'm not what you'd call a geek when it comes to computers so I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Ando

PowerMac G5 "Expansion: PCI" section.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86513

Usually the output from Apple System Profiler will give the basic hardware installed to get you started, including version, firmware, model.

The question now is which replacement card.

Question

I'm not a scanner guy by any stretch, but how about replacing the scanner? Aren't the newest USB2 and FW models much faster/better/cheaper?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I would think that a new USB or FW scanner would be much higher quality over the UMAX and cheaper than a SCSI host card. Just a humble opinion.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Some scanners cost more than a G5 and are superior in many regards to anything out there today, making even $300 inverstment in a new controller, cable, terminator, still better. True, $300 buys a lot more scanner today than it use to. Some "FireWire" scanners are only old style parallel with a poor FireWire bridge.

Scanners are proably one area where vendors have not brought out USB2 or anything that truly can replace SCSI style. While it might make sense for some, some scanners represented $4000 investments for the true high-end scanners.

Links to articles on www.xlr8yourmac.com now 'break' to limit and prevent other sites from bypassing the front page, but Mike has covered PCI controllers, and scanners has been one of those topics that has spawned a numer of threads on Apple. And is one place where Adaptec's 29160N is still a best choice, due to its native 50-pin external connector as well as support for PCI 2.3. No need for special cable or adapter.

I can get into a rant on Apple being "misguided" and ask why it didn't support one PCI slot for older cards. I've seen logicboards with more user-friendly support for legacy devices, rather than leave users out in the cold, caught between the rocks.

That is/was the reason some people chose G4 1.42DP over G5s.

"I have the same scanner (Minolta Dimage Scan Multi), and it was too expensive ($1200) to just trash. I have the Adaptec 29160N card installed on the Mac, but alas, there are no drivers for 10.3."
    - http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@@.688df15d/13

Rick pointed to CNET Scanner Review

]HP Scanjet 4600 (flat version), partly because of it's cool design I must admit, but also because I needed general, all purpose scanner. I must say that it's performing very well. Scanning at 2400 dpi is a major time investment, and 1200 dpi will take a good 20 minutes for photo work, but the results are pretty good. As for general scanning (ie text, documents and OCR), the HP Director Scanner software is HUGELY configurable. I can scan documents directly into Word or virtually any other text editor using HP Director, and so far the OCR is flawless. Best $150 scanner
    VueScan supported scanners - which includes UMAX SCSI scanners.
    Belkin FireWire-SCSI adapter (be sure to research first as problems have been noted.)
    Last edited by TZ; 07-14-2004 at 11:51 AM.

Unlike TZ, I will never ever recommend an Adaptec product for a Mac again. Adaptec has dropped all Mac OS support and development and owners of Adaptec products are on their own. there will be no updates and no future for Adaptec products on the Mac. As soon as Tiger comes out all Adaptec cards are liable to quit working, that is enough for me to warn everyone away from Adaptec.

Yes, there are scanners that are of high enough quality to warrant the purchase of SCSI host cards. My apologies, after a little research I see that the 2100XL very well falls into that category. So please disregard my previous comment that incorrectly states things. Should have done my homework before popping off.

Regards,

RIck
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Same for me. So many folks have an older $400+ scanner that is not as good or as fast as a new one at less than 1/2 the cost...so I assume too much.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

It may be that for scanners, there is less of a problem than bootable hard drives, when it comes to SCSI, after all the 2906 was just 10MB/sec and not bootable. The Miles BlueNote would have been nice option here. And the Initio Miles2 is an option. Given that it took months for ATTO and Apple to get drivers and such for UL3D and we know how long it took for UL4D... the only problem I am aware of with 39160 is Apple says "10.3.4 should fix problems introduced with 10.3.3" and someone (software engineer of excellent credentials) said there was a data corruption issue or something. And the UL3D now seems better.

So where is the $99 solution for legacy SCSI devices? Film scanners from Kodax etc, or drum scanners, are very expensive. Of course having a $1000 Mac dedicated to scanning works for some people, some even use Beige G4/500 for scanning.

Yeah !! I've had it with Adaptec and Umax. Umax said they were going to bring out a driver for OSX, it took them 18 months and it doesn't even work properly, I had to buy Silverfast ???more $$$$'s.
    Now Adeptec are screwing us ????
    I emailed Umax and asked them what to do and here is there answer, typical.

"Thank you for contacting us. I wouldn't suggest a SCSI card, but rather a Belkin SCSI to Firewire convertor. You'll also need to get SilverFast from www.umax.com/download - this is the driver we have available for the unit on OSX."
    Best regards,
    EP

In OZ, which is were I'm from, we call this "passing the buck"
    They should take responsibility, I've had better support for things I paid $15
    for than what I got from Umax.

Ando

Default Belkin SCSI-Firewire converter?

Has anyone tried the Belkin SCSI-Firewire converter.
    Just got an email from UMAX telling me to try it, that it works very well on the G5????

Mark

I have a Microtek unit from 5 yrs ago and gave up using it with SCSI scanner. It did work it seems with OS 8.6 and 9.0 but I think lost support with OS X 10 Betas for couple years and I moved to FW and then to USB2 scanners.

Mixed reviews on Apple G5 Discussion and maybe google MacIntouch and xlr8yourmac.com too.