Thread: G5 and LVD for audio...still relevant?

Default G5 and LVD for audio...still relevant?

Hello,

I'm going to be receiving a G5 this next week or so and plan on using the beast as a multi-track audio-recording box. I picked up a DP 1.42 Buick last year and kept it ATA and it seems to be working fine (been using it for video editing). The ATA do drives seem to have amazing throughput.

Here's my question: given that I'm planning on using the G5 for _real-time_ recording (and not rendering, etc.), is it still worth going SCSI? This machine will be pounded on and I'm wondering if the SATA drives are up for it.

I've been in and around audio for a number of years now and may simply be guilty of "living in the past" and thinking that ATA/IDE isn't up to that sort of loading. The aforementioned G4 does its thing at its own pace, so I really don't know what kind of _sustained_ throughput is actually happening (and it being IDE, I back-up regularly). I've always used SCSI for audio in the past as that was essentially the only route to go. However, I'm not sure that it's needed nowadays and would appreciate any suggestions (SCSI or not, internal or external, RAID or not) or input on this matter.

Thanks in advance!

Iver

revi

I have no first hand experience with the G5's. I know some about Audio and have read many discussions about Audio/Video and SCSI/SATA.

I think people have had issues/problems with setting up a good or stable SCSI in the G5's

From the discussions I have read I think a SATA setup would work just fine. They are looking good as far as numbers for I/O as good or better than older SCSI. Especially when you factor in the $$$'s for a basic SCSI setup you could setup a SATA system/setup.

My 2 cents - others will have some first hand experience with numbers and a plan of how/what to setup.

Randy

Lightbulb

Look at the external burly SATA setup you can build. Good SATA drives and G5 do get tricky with SATA ports. So, too, FireWire. Or RAID. SCSI is the one technology that scales well, plays well, costs... well, if you have to ask, it ain't probably your cup of tea, though it is hugely cheaper and faster than even was, which is odd, given the bad rep and rap it gets lately.

For speed it can't be beat. combining SCSI controllers and ATA/SATA is the perfect match probably.

Thanks for the input!

So, it would possibly make sense to start with a second SATA drive (I'm thinking the Hitachi 7K-250), see how that works and then take it from there?

I'm going to be adding a bunch of RAM straightaway, so I'll probably stage matters (which will give me time to research matters more fully):

1.) Add the second SATA drive immediately and use that to see how it works.

then I'm guessing the next stage would be to either:

2.) Add a Miles or ATTO card (any suggestions?) and then a break-out 2-drive unit (with mirrored drives, so I guess that would be RAID 1).

Or

2a.) Add a SATA controller card and a break-out SATA RAID set up?

I'm kinda guessing that at some level it's six of one versus a half-dozen of another...I am still kinda partial to the beefiness of SCSI (though as noted, that may be not entirely rational but I've seen those drives just run for years under a pretty reasonable load).

Again, your input is greatly appreciated.

Guru's sell a great SATA controller card http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/FT1002.php the SeriTek.
    and RAM with lifetime guaranteed specs to WORK RIGHT http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/ram/mgram.php