Thread: Update to random freeze, etc.

Default Update to random freeze, etc.

Just curious but through all this time troubleshooting, software, hardware etc. I re-ran my repair utilities and while DW 2 reported all is well, NDD 6 found errors with the Volume Header Block on all my volumes including X (ran check directories only). Since I never really ran anything on the X partititon can these errors transfer over to other volumes if it is the same drive partitioned? And why would DW report all is fine and Norton find such major errors?

And why would DW report all is fine and Norton find such major errors?
    Because Nortons is creating the errors. Norton is not ready for prime time with OSX file systems. It will eventually cause you enough grief to possibly lose all your data. (even on an empty disk

Best place for Nortons is the circular file I'm afraid.

Regards,

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Ricks,

Its a good thing I do run DW before NDD.

So what I understand here...if DW reports OK no problems...NDD will/can actually implement a VHB error?

Yup. Nortons has a tendency to create b-tree errors. Been that way since the beginning and hasn't gotten any better. Best to leave it out of your toolbox.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Best to leave it out of your toolbox.
    Norton Unerase is pretty solid for recovery from unintended deletions. You don't need FileSaver on to use it.

So, you can keep Norton Unerase in the toolbox for those hopefully very rare occasions, but as Rick said, leave the rest out.

(Although I never had a problem with Speed Disk over the years , but _never_ tried the OS X version. That was used that on my FCP media drives and Classic OS (7.x - 9.x volumes).)

Just another update...after completeing the last of the diagnostics...TT 3.09 finished around 2 am. Fixed some bundle bit issues...Well running Mac OS base extensions plus suitcase and XLR8 extension. Overall worked fine for under 2 hours this morning then lock up and force restart. Any thing else or is this just it for this mac? Thanks!