Thread: Random freeze -- can not force quit

Default Random freeze -- can not force quit

Any thoughts on random freezes that do not respond to a force quit (mouse still moves but all windows frozen--if i'm lucky I'll get a type 1or 2 but recently nothing). I've ran DW 3/DW 2/ NDD 6, and DW3. Some bundle bit errors reported by NDD but warrior reports all is well. RAM checks out with Gauge Pro and Disk First Aid. Reinstalled 9.2.2 and troubleshoot extensions? Currently scanning for virus'. Anything else I can check for?
    Thanks!

B&W G4/600, 1 gb ram, 2 maxtor 40gb on Tempo66, Original Radeon PCI, Adaptec 2906 with Scanner.

Install/update any software lately?

Maybe a heat issue?

Yes good thought, maybe a heat issue. This happens even in the Finder with no applications running in the background? Or if you have applications running in the foreground or background, what are they?

Or it could be the Tempo66 acting up. Is scanner off or on? Does that make a difference? Or maybe the scanner terminator is failing so try and see if scanner disconnected from the 2906 makes a difference. k

What would be symptoms of the Tempo 66 acting up...it is the oldest part in this mac (originally from my 8500). Re: heat issue: I'm running the G4/600 with a Yikes heatsink with a Radio Shack 486 cpu fan on top and since its summer temps have been woarmer in the office...what type of solutions do I have for additional cooling?

DIMM First Aid should report that ALL of the RAM is IDENTICAL SDRAM of 125 MHz and same CL. So either all PC133 or PC100. 3-2-2 or 2-2-2.

Essential. Don't trust or use Norton BEFORE DW. Ever. And don't install Norton, especially in OS X.

What is the L2 cache ratio/speed? That would be another. And, it is summer, so ventilation and such. I'd watch the temperature of the cpu.

Might want to look at age of ATA drives as well. Are they stripped? with what? If you formatted with Drive Setup, use that to run Test Function to scan drives. It can map out most bad blocks if any have developed. May be time for backup / initialize / restore - good to do from time to time (6 months to year?).

Preferences. Move the Pref folder out of the system and see if it helps. Also, the System file can require minor repair frequently (ResEdit). I prefer Conflict Catcher 9 to scan System, Extensions, Prefs for corrupt files. I use to always keep a copy of the System file just for problems, and used a mirror boot volume. But most of those problems were curable with better RAM.

A PCI slot fan can help.
    I would assume the office has a/c - otherwise you may want to put a temperature probe in there.

Is that a 7410 rated for 500-550-600?

PCI fan would be great (If I only had a slot open). Ram in Techworks (from OWC) all PC133 333 7.5ns (only had one problem with one stick that was replaced 2 years ago--isolated with Gauge Pro)

Drives are Maxtor 40mb ata formatted with X Disk Utility

DW is ALWAYS run before NDD (but NDD seems to find things when DW reports fine)

CPU is 500/600...Daystar sent out a replacement CPU just in case but have had some freezes since with replacement.
    Last edited by freelanceguy; 07-15-2004 at 06:54 AM.

After being semi stable for most of the day...had a hang at boot. Somewhere before appletalk loads and norton anti-virus, Second boot goes clean through. Any known conflicts here?

If you are sure memory is good/correct, sounds like time to troublshoot extensions....

Have you tried to duplicate the problem with only a minimal set, or maybe the "Mac OS base/all" set?

You could kill NAV for a while to test as the risk of infection is pretty low...
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

After the last altercation I had with Norton (completely trashed my boot volume directory) the disk went into the circular file, and all traces of it's presence were removed from my drives. My system stability improved quite a bit after that day.

I wouldn't worry about viruses with 9 especially if you don't use Outlook.

YMMV.

especially if you don't use Outlook
    There's a reason the admin/security types call it: Lookout!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin