Thread: Mac will not fire up.

Default Mac will not fire up.

Hello,

Here is what happened, we had a storm, so I unplugged everything from the wall. After the storm, everything started back up(PC,external hard drives) but my Mac.

The light goes on on the front when I push the button, then when I let go of the button, it goes right back off. The Mac does not kick on like it is supposed to. The refrigerator sound does not happen. The unit won't kick on.

The light on the monitor comes on also.

HELP.

WOW

Mac G4 867
    OS9
    PT5.1

Did you leave the modem and router/switch connected? If the modem (dial up, DSL, coax) are not protected, they can and probably will go at some point, as could your systems. Not sure why the Mac got scrambled, ethernet ports are easy to fry, as is RAM.

Try unplugging your Mac overnight. Remove battery. Reset the PMU. Use Open Firmware and reset nvram. Get a UPS - what if you weren't there when a storm hit. ;-(

As long as ethernet and coax and/or phone lines are connected and not fully protected, there is an entry point to your system. i would take a look at the UPS thread

APC RS800 (545 watts) should be fine for one computer along with data lines and monitor. RS1500 for G5 2.0DP and 850 watts.

Reset the PMU. Use Open Firmware and reset nvram.
    How do I do this if I cant get the Mac to do anything?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

WOW

What kind of Mac?

Model: imac, G4 tower, etc.
    Speed: G3 350, G4 800, etc

Huge difference between some models, so the more info the better.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

G4 tower 867
    OS9

I can answer any other questions.

I just went out and replaced the battery , so thats not it.

The little light on the LCD works.

The light on the G4 works.

It just will not start.

HELP.

When you can... Open Firmware reset -

Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. This will put you in the Open Firmware Interface. At the end of any text you will get a '>' prompt. At that prompt type:

reset-nvram
    Hit Return
    set-defaults
    Hit Return
    reset-all

Hit Return and your computer will resume normal startup. You may have to reset your startup drive since it gets set to the default ATA Master drive on the first partition. If you are running with the system on any other partition after doing the OF reset you can hold down the Option key, the computer will chime again when you enter the reset-all command, hold the option key then and you'll get a startup selection screen, takes awhile to look everywhere for system folders so have patience.

The first thing to do is a PMU reset. Open up your Quicksilver and press the little button next to the battery on the motherboard. Press it ONCE firmly, hold and release it. Wait 20 seconds and then try a restart.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I got it up and running.

I can't thank you guys enough.

You guys ROCK.

If I have any more trouble, I know where to come to now.

THANKS a million.

WOW

<font size="5">kewl </font>

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

got to love happy endings...

You guys RAWK.