Thread: Is my display "pulsating" or am I seeing things?

Default Is my display "pulsating" or am I seeing things?

I swear it is... like the screen was the surface of a lake... really slightly and I don't really see it unless I really pay attention... but once I notice it, it's pretty aggravating. Any ideas?

PM DP 1.8 ver1
    stock video card (GeForce FX 5200 - 64MB)
    everything is stock - added ram

Monitor: ViewSonic UltraBrite A90F+
    res: 1792x1344 (in factory specs to run this high) @ 60 hertz

Actually I have 2 of these monitors hooked up - but only one at the moment - the other is powered off and unhooked. It has done it in the past whether it's two monitors or just one... and not all of the time, maybe once a week.

Monitors and G5 are plugged into a Belkin 1000va (650 volts?) UPS

My wife doesn't notice the "wave" - but I do... that's how subtle it is.

Thanks!
    Eric
    =======================
    MacPro 1,1 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.5

Video is *not* something I am versed in - unless forced

Specific applications? or just about any?
    Have you tried going through monitor setup characteristics and degauz it?

I do have two ViewSonic G-series CRTs and one VE-series LCD (VGA).
    Are you going through DVI or VGA? I had to use ADC to VGA rather than DVI to VGA due to sleep issues with the Radeon OEM 9000. Had trouble shutting down and stuff. But I like ViewSonic, and 10.3.x allows my CRTs to use resolutions that I didn't think existed - safely. My guess is that you are using it beyond what is supported on even G5:

Power Mac G3/G4 up to 1024x768.

1792x1344 maximum resolution
    Displays a maximum resolution of 1792x1344;
    1280x1024 optimal resolution at 80Hz
    flicker-free refresh rate for easy-on-the-eyes viewing.

1792x1344 @ 61Hz
    1600x1200 @ 68Hz
    1280x1024 @ 80Hz
    1152x870 @ 94Hz
    ViewSonic A90f+

I am not so great with video either. If you are running @60Hz - that can cause some flicker. A place to start checking.

Hard to say... The manual and website both say I can run it 1792x1344 at 61Hz I believe... My only choice is either 60 or 65... it's not doing it right now... so I don't know. Maybe it's something else in the line of power.
    =======================

Default Monitor flicker

I have a friend who had a monitor with an annoying flicker so she bought a new monitor, but the flicker was still there. After trying all the usual suggestions, we found a power strip near the monitor. When the power strip was moved, the flicker disappeared.

Exclamation

Good call Bailey. Thats very possible check for anything close to the monitor like... electrical wires, connections, speaker - magnets, audio/video/stereo/other equipment sitting close by.

It does this on all Hz's?

I was going to ask how close the UPS was, along with power bricks and other equipment which all have EMF, however, the first thing to do is to change the resolution down to the SUPPORTED resolution for MACS. It is possible that 10.3.3+ would support what you want to use, but maybe still isn't supported. At least see if it works properly. It may be the video cards or Mac OS, but this is what I found ViewSonic said:

Power Mac G3/G4 up to 1024x768.

1792x1344 maximum resolution

... and maybe maximum resolution just doesn't work on your system.

Thank you for all of your help.

TZ - My UPS is about 2 feet from my G5 and about 3 from my monitor. Of all the resolutions that my System Pref>Display will change to, the only ones that don't have any flicker (at the moment) are 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x1200 (in 60HZ ONLY - in 65HZ it went crazy), and 1792x1344. It has stopped the "wavering", like I said, it does it seldomly. Which kinda sorta leads me to think it's a power thing. The power in my apartment is horrible... no less than a brown out every two or three days... my UPS saves my but almost on a daily basis... The AVR kicks in at least once per day.

As far as resolutions go... there is no way I can deal with 800x600 or 1024x768. I can deal with 1600x1200, but I paid a few extra bucks over my favored Samsung 955DF for the sole reason that they go to 1792x1344... of course if I were causing damage to the monitors - or even more importantly - my G5, I'll change them to 1600x1200 for sure.

Eric
    =======================

You might want to look at other monitors then, that do support that resolution or others. I have pushed my G90f and quite pleased. the P-series ViewSonic (P225f say) are more for graphics and demanding apps, more so than their A-series monitors.

I don't see a ViewSonic knowledge base, but you might want to see if they have email web support and ASK! never hurts. Maybe a different video card can handle that resolution better than Apple's OEM.

I don't know if your 650 watts is enough. Me, I'd want the CRT on battery, not just surge only, especially in your situation. A G5 is rated for 600 watts and some people found 1000VA wasn't enough and went to 1500VA. I even wonder about the 2 ft. Sounds like right underneath and even if you can't measure the field from each (CRT and UPS both emit 145-200 mG) it could be worse when the UPS is in charging mode or something? try writing Belkin about CRT interference even.

TV on UPS, no more blinking date/time displays ;-) Along with other equipment.