Thread: Powerbook 520 sees no ram?

Default Powerbook 520 sees no ram?

I obtained a bunch of 520's in varying states of repair. I was hoping to get a good black and white and good color from a lot of 7 of them. The BW was no trouble. But I swapped a good screen from one into the body of another. I also took the 16m ram card from the bad screen one and replaced the 8m ram card in the other. Now I start it up and it gets to the point in the start up where the extensions load and I get a warning that I don't have enough memory. So I restart with extensions off and it warns me that there isn't enough memory to load the Finder! This book actually started up fine with the original card and now nothing with either card. There is 4megs soldered to the mobo so it should be able to get somewhere I would think. I have zapped pram and done the power manager reset.

Any suggestions? I would love to have this working as the screen and case are in prime condition.

Memory usually = RAM? Not video memory? How much "real RAM" do you have?

About all you can do is swap in ram until you get it to work. Sounds like a bad connection or a bad module.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

well, the book has 4 megs soldered so there has to be something there. I have swapped 2 ram cards in that had worked moments before.

rwm - this is actual ram not vram I am talking about.

greg_w

I was not sure on RAM/Video Ram. Then yes you should get something. Keep things as basic as possible to start. I just don't have the experience with those puters. Start here... http://lowendmac.com/pb/520.shtml or Google using these terms.. "mac powerbook 520 troubleshooting"