Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade for 7600/120

Default Upgrade for 7600/120

A local art school was recently moving out its old line of Power Macs & I picked up a Power Mac 7600 with a 604/120 MHz processor for free. I've heard that this model can be upgraded with a 604e/185 processor, but I was wondering if anyone knows about the possibility of using a 604e/200 or 604e/300 processor on this machine. Both are from Power Mac 9600s.
    Last edited by LVX; 05-27-2004 at 05:40 PM.

You can do a lot with that. I have a 7500 that now is filled an XLR8 G3/400, OS 9.1, 512 MB RAM, VooDoo 3/3000 Graphics card, Miles U2W host card with 2 - 18 gig 10K Cheetahs. It screams. The 73/75/76/85/86/95/96 all use the same parts in most case.

What are your goals or intended use for this? Quality RAM is a must here is some info on the 7600 and RAM

Read this here just did a simalar upgrade. A 7500

Guru's carry what I think is the best upgrade for the vintage Mac.. XLR8 Right here you have a choice.

And yes the card you mentioned should work fine and you can still find 200-233-250MHz processor cards people have pulled to upgrade to a G3/G4's

I am not sure if I remember right, but I don't think the 300 will work in any computer except a Kansas motherboard. The 8600 and the 9600 with the Kansas motherboards used those 300+ MHz 604 cpus and I think you need one of those Motherboards to fire that cpu up again.

Just a faint memory, I never owned one of the Kansas boards and don't have first hand knowledge of them.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I am a little faint too ... We need a "for sure" on the processor card you have. I think Rick is right about the Kansas boards. I was thinking a 9500 that you have pulled it from.

If no one posts I'll find it - it's out there somewhere.

Can this motherboard page help?

EveryMac is a good source .....

EveryMac.com Read near the bottom.

More info...

http://www.micromac.com/products/powermaster.html

Some info at the bottom. http://www.mail-archive.com/pci-powe.../msg07673.html

Default Re: Upgrade for 7600/120

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I did an extended search into the archives & came up with this thread from a post that I made back on 01/07/03:
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14725. If you were trying to recall the part about the 9500 in this thread, that's pretty good, rwm! Anyway, judging from the info in the thread, it'd appear that I wouldn't be able to use the 604e/300 because the 7600 does not have a 'Kansas' motherboard. However, if I'm not mistaken, the 604e/200 should work. When I picked up the 7600/120 I also scavenged another 7600/120 that was there for RAM (I left enough for it to boot up) & VRAM. So I've maxed out the 8 slots with 184 MB of RAM that I could interleave, and I've maxed out the 4 VRAM slots as well. There's also a ROM slot with nothing in it. Is there any advantage of trying to find a ROM module for that?

I'm doing all of this strictly for hobby & test purposes, and for the satisfaction
    of recycling old parts (like the 604e/200). I don't really intend to invest in a G3/G4 upgrade since I already have (2) Power Mac 9600s that I've upgraded to G3s. I'll probably upgrade the 7600 to OS 9.2.2 using a 3rd-party hack.

LVX

Ya, thats a good, clean simple post. I was just reading more and looks like as long as you do not use a processor from a Kansas board you should be fine. So I think there are some 200 MHz cards. And I had/have an old UMAX 233MHz that is advertized as works in a 75/7600.

Hey sorry.... Make sure all your RAM is 60ns. The ROM slot is left open/blank it was put there by Apple to do some fancy tech stuff that I can not explain. I just tried searching but to no avail some where TZ, Ricks, Kaye, Unc or others might have given you a technical explanation.

Randy

Default Houston, I think we have lift-off!

Well, I went ahead & replaced the processor card with the 604e/200 & it worked like a charm. It's noticeably snappier all the way around, enough to make this computer useful again. I ran before & after benchmark tests using MacBench 5.0 in OS 8.6 & the new processor is about 10% faster, while the floating point is some 34% better than the 604/120. I interleaved the RAM, which is a mixture of both 60ns & 70ns, FWIW. I'll add a 1.2 GB SCSI HD & install OS 9.2.2 on it. So there you have it, yet another perfectly good computer I've saved from abandonment with zero financial investment on my part.

Nice work.

Rolleyes OWC Clearance Items

OWC Clearance page has some odds and ends that might be of use.
    Re: New Clearance Goodies
    More G3 and G4 Processors
    A handful of VERY hard to come by Radeon 7000s
    Some even harder to come by 50 Pin SCSI Drives
    PowerMac G3 Systems from $89
    PowerMac 7300/200s with 128MB/2GB/CD for only $55.99
    Assorted FireWire and USB Goodies

It's all on our Clearance page now and a lot of it will go REALLY fast.
    First come - first served.
    Best Regards,
    Lawrence R. O'Connor
    Other World Computing "

ricks,

Yep the MACH 5 604E 300 and 350MHz will only work on the Kansas board.

Tried it on a 9600/233. Black Screen. No start up chimes...

LVX,

If you want to pay for shipping, I will give you a 233 604E.

Just collecting dust on my end.

The " Kansas ' CPU boards are commonly refered to as 604 EV, also known as the Mach 5. More ifo here
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/mach5info.html
    More info available if you are intersted.
    Please do not try to install a 604 ev. into a non Kansas board.
    My understanding is there are different voltages to the pins on the card and can damage your logic board.
    Researched this when I purchased a 9600 300 Kansas machine.

Default In Search of the Ultimate G2 machine

Thanks for the follow-up, guys. As for the 604e/233, Tiki, I appreciate the offer but I'm going to have to pass since I ended up selling the Power Mac 7600/200(604e) for $50. There nothing like taking on a retro-Mac hobby project, learning what you can, & then being able to move it out of your house at a slight profit to justify all the time that you inevitably put into it!

In any case, I do happen to have 9600/350 that I picked up used & have kept un-upgraded as far as the processor goes. I decided to leave it a 604ev/350 as a reference to sort of venerate its classic "vintage" status.

However, I found all the info from the 'xlr8yourmac' site very intriguing, Macaholic. Whether or not I attempt to do the 9600/400 upgrade is another story, though. Judging from one of the reports, it sounds rather iffy to me, but the MacBench scores comparing it to the next generation G3s are pretty remarkable. It's no wonder the 604ev machines achieved such legacy status.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/mach5.html

> I do happen to have 9600/350 ... kept un-upgraded

ACK! I am sure this is just a phase. The Mad Scientist within,
    will start tinkering one day.

Something about the 9600 case just screams "Break out Power Tools and
    Mod Me." They are good machines. I have 2 9600/G3s still earning their
    keep at my office in production.

And there is my Tiki Beast 9650 (now G4/450!)

Quick notes: Dropped the new Daystar/XLR8 card in yesterday. Yowzer!

1 hour at 450MHz, Average temp around 20 C. As I was at the office
    on a Saturday, and there was this ice-cold beer screaming my name,
    I shut it down and went home. Tomorrow, I will see what this puppy
    can do.

On another note, It looks like there isa guy is selling Kansas boards
    on eBay for around $24 (my 2 cents - kind of pricey) but states they
    are new. He is not calling them Mach 5s or Kansas but 9600 Rev 2.
    But in his TOS it leads me to believe they might be. I might just have
    to ask for a few more details...

One last thought...

Very strange heat sink on this new G4 card. No ribs, but a smooth piece
    of some sort of metal. Hmmmm, anyone looked at this card? ricks?

Rolleyes

Ooops, bounced out to the yard to pull weeds, and as I pull weeds I start thinking...

One last thought to add. Not sure about the Daystar warranty, my guess is 90 days? And not that I plan to overclock this puppy (at least not for 90 days) This smooth metal heatsink is just asking me to thermal glue 2 small fin type heatsinks on it.

Just a thought.

Now that I have a decent digital camera I took a few shots of the XLR8 G3 next to the new G4.
    When I bounce into the office I will try and post them. I am 99.9% positive that the additional heatsinks will fit. But at this moment, I am not sure if heat is an issue.

Not that I needed to do this, but the G3's (XLR8 card) heatsink, with a slight mod, would have accepted one of those pentium fan clip ons...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki
    Not that I needed to do this, but the G3's (XLR8 card) heatsink, with a slight mod, would have accepted one of those pentium fan clip ons...
    What kind of "slight mod"? I've been mulling over doing the Pentium fan thing on my G3 since it tends to run a tad warm(45-50C) in my 8600. There ain't a whole lot of room in there between the heat sink, and the bottom of the upper case/PS. That's probably why it runs a bit warmer than it did in my 8500. Reversing the door fan helped, but it still runs warmer than I'd like.

That flat plate heatsink actually works better than the finned aluminum heatsink. A long time ago XLR8 used the flat plate in black, then switched to the finned aluminum for looks and for easier fit in all the different vintage Macs. Then when XLR8 came out with G4s, they discovered that they had to stick a small fan on top of the finned aluminum heatsink. Daystar has gone back to the flat plate because it does a better job. k

Thanks k. You are a wealth of information as usual.

Thanks k

G4/450 with the flat plate heatsink average temp today 28C

G3/500 (in RockHopper 9600) average temp today 32C

Hmmm, I might just go out and buy a piece aluminum and machine it
    to match the flat plate on the G4 for the G3. I see a new project...

note: the notch (top) on the flat plate is for the jumpers.

Here is a side by side photo of the G3 (finned heatsink) and the G4:

http://www.graphicpenguin.com/graphi...650/sideby.jpg