Thread: Electrical current

Question Electrical current

My thoughts are if you have a PC hooked up to an outlet that is in/on a loop that is at max capacity, i.e plug one more thing into the loop and it will blow a breaker, it could have an effect on how the PC operates? More crashes/freezes slow printing? Yes/no

I would say yes.

The UPS companies all state that a low voltage situation known as a "sag" or a very severe "brown out" actually cause more problems than high voltage or "spike" problems, including corrupting data and immediate hardware damage, as well as excessive wear and tear on all electrical compentents.

Fuses and circuit breakers are triggered by heat, which is a function of friction caused by all those electrons flowing by, but can be triggered by things other than just voltage surges or excessive draw, like shorts, bad connections, bad or undersized wire, and transients (which I cannot even begin to explain, cause I don't really understand). So popped circuit breakers are just an indicator that something is wrong, not just too high of a load, although that's probably the most common cause.

A UPS can protect your gear from all that, but if the breaker keeps popping, it gets to be a real pain.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thumbs up Why you need a UPS

We just had a thread on UPS XLR8yourMac forum that has some great info - esp. on page 2.

This comment from bbs.xlr8yourmac.com:
    I have encountered some hardware that simply did not like to lose power, even if protected by a "good" surge supressor, actually, a pair of them. One router needed to have the firmware reflashed after a series of power outages...it is on a UPS now.

Also, StrikeSafe - http://www.strikesafe.com/
    Great technical info - http://www.brickwall.com/

APC has a library, too. But I can't find what I want ;-( but excerpts are in the first link above.

TZ,

the question was for thr PC that I moved upstairs, the G5 is on an UPS and the new wiring I know this is 'Mac' country but figured a computer is a computer and I'm trying to figure out why it is being really flaky. What really go me to thinking was when I hooked up the HP, which prints text pretty fast was very slow. Moving a printer up one floor won't cause that, least wouldn't think so:-))

We won't go into the wiring on this house. We thought we had it pretty well taken care of but found out we have rather a 'cluster f' on one part of the second floor.

Long and short, need to figure out if the PC is just fading out or, or, or.

BTW was just at xlr8 site, nice

Default Bit more about UPS

With the storms that riped through the other evening, the UPS paid for itself in less than an hour. Shutting down the Mac was not on the 'to do' list at that moment.

Confused

I didn't know the HP wasn't behind UPS - and yes, I got the drift but not why the HP is acting up.... did you put it on a different cable? off router? How about a "Self-Test" button or to refresh its memory? Is the PC sending postscript files to the printer?

REALLY glad to hear your UPS has saved your equipment couple times already.
    I'm in Iowa and tonight is suppose to be a fun one.

I'm in Iowa and tonight is suppose to be a fun one.>>

Yowzer, you were deep in it the other night. I'm in Ohio just a few clicks south of our unoffical/offical tornado alley. Still you all had much more 'fun' than we did.

Back to the HP. Couldn't find a good solution to the driver issue (course today they are saying there is one that works well with the 7x's) so hooked it back up to the PC. Same cables used the same USB 1.1 port went to do some printing, fast draft, and SLOW real SLOW. So hooked it up to the USB 2 (new card I added in Jan.) and fast as could be again....UNTIL last night and damn back to a crawl. PC and HP are just on a Belkin surge, same one they have always been on. The Mac and HP haven't met yet haven't had the time to take it past the PC , wireless, playing well with the router. PC wasn't on during all the fun. We didn't lose power, we had what I think is much worse the kaboom lights out lights on stuff. Like I said the PC was very, very unstable last night.Hum maybe the PC did take a shot, didn't think about that. Still wouldn't explain the HP prior tho'. Oh well try and take a better look at things tomorrow. However got a wild 'hare' and ordered a Canon i960 the other day.

kinda made me chuckle at the one post on XLR8 about the underground (link in your post) utilities, ours are planted