Thread: Network (another one)

Lightbulb Network (another one)

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but here goes.

I have four Macs all runing 10.3.3 (or will be in a week). Apart from the normal Personal File Sharing ( which they already are) I would like one of the Macs to also have a folder that can be accessed by everyone, and all files in that folder will be read/write to everyone in the office. I have played around with Sharepoints but find that files like Excel still need to be overwritten. I suppose what I want is a Server without having to buy it.

I hope this makes sense and i thank anyone who takes the time to even read it.

This is a good time to ask peoples for help as I will be erasing everything and and starting afresh.

Thanks

Yes, I think you are right. If you shuffle a file between machines it will have to be be overwritten, or you end up with lots of versions/copies....

I do think you can share an excel file, but you do it within excel; you have to map to or link to the file within excel. I would guess you would have to mount the drive or shared folder containing your spreadsheet, and then open the shared file with your local version of excel....

To do it right? Get Filemaker pro, drop your excel sheet into it, and serve that file via Filemaker. You can serve a couple machines with Filemaker Pro, but if you get more than a few, you will want a dedicated Filemaker Server computer for all they users to hit.

Now, repeat after me:

excel is not a database.
    excel is not a database.
    excel is not a database.

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

At work, we have a set-up like what I think you're after.

An OS X box, acting as an AFP file-server, has various share-points out to some folks read/write (maintainers), to others read-only (reviewers). My architecture group has an Excel spreadsheet tracking our projects in one of the shared directories.

If you have it mounted and you also have the spreadsheet open in Excel, and then I mount it and try to open the spreadsheet, I think I wind up with the file open in read-only mode -- even though I have the volume mounted read/write -- becase you already have it open in read/write mode. If so, it's a one-writer-at-a-time share of the spreadsheet.

Is that a share-point config setting? Is that a setting attached to the file? I don't know, but if you want me to, I can find out on Monday and report back. Is that the sort of effect you want?

Jazzbo

PS. I agree with unclemac: If you really want managed multi-user writes, you need a system designed for it. Excel's not it. FMP is one; PostgreSQL is one; MySQL is one, too. FMP is, I think, more straight-forward to set up and maintain. The other two are free, but you have to (someone in the shop has to) know relational database management.