Thread: Question about my G4 733 bus speed...

Default Question about my G4 733 bus speed...

Hi! I recently purchased a used 733MHz G4. It runs great. When it was shipped, it came without an OS. So I ran to CompUSA and bought Panther. Installed the OS no probs. My question however relates to the speed of the ram. The 256mb stick that came in it seems to be Crucial (MT logo) and the sticker says it is 133MHz ram. Under "Hardware" in System Profiler says the bus speed is 133MHz. But when I click on "Memory" (where it shows the individual sticks) it says PC100 under speed. I've recently purchased a 512mb stick of 133MHz also from the Apple Store within CompUSA... when I replace the ram that came with the G4 - it also says PC100.

Is this true? Is my system only supporting 100MHz ram? I've read a few reviews etc before buying and I've read PC100 AND 133 were supported configs. Or, and I hoping, is it a "misreading" of sorts between the OS and the G4. ???

OH yes - the sticker on the back of the computer says M8451LL/A. So I assume that the components are original and not an upgraded machine from an earlier model.

Thanks!

Eric
    =======================
    MacPro 1,1 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.5

Apple System Profiler is unreliable when it comes to RAM. Odd, isn't it, that even after years, and when OS 9 version is accruate, as is the latest Apple Hardware Test DVD/CD (but not the 2003 version) is unable to report accurately?

If you have OS 9, you can download DIMM First Aid from www.macupdate.com and run that to get specs.

so be reassured you are fine. 133 Mhz bus and PC133 RAM. Same as MacGurus:
    <table border="0" height="26" width="387"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="2" width="65%">512 MB PC133 Low Profile DIMM</td> <td align="center" width="13%">512G4-133</td> <td align="right" width="12%">$119.00</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Thanks much TZ! I suspected as such - logically, my alternative would have been to think I had a logic board problem. whhhewww!
    =======================
    MacPro 1,1 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 10.5

Eric,

here's a link to one of Costa's posts on this subject;

http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18049

and ciao Costa! I wanted to read the thread you linked to but it just brings me back to the 'Gurus home. What's broken, me or it?

biggles
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Sorry biggles. Since we moved the forum to these new digs with a new URL the old forum redirects inside the forum do not work, they now point at a forum that doesn't exist. We are discussing how to fix them with a script. We will see. (but it ain't you!)

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

One more note, since you are newish to macs Klinger:

If you were to actually install PC 100 memory in your PC133 G4, when you try to boot the machine it will beep at you (and not boot) to let you know that the memory installed failed the memory hardware test.

Check this.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

hey Klinger,

ASP's not very bright really when it comes to RAM! Have you noticed that it tells you that slot J24 is empty? There is no slot J24 on a DA! Probably accounts for it being empty!

Finally I've got someone to ask who has the two machines (G4DA & G5) side by side; how do they compare for noise given similar workloads? I know it's subjective, but tell me what you think.

biggles
    Last edited by biggles; 05-25-2004 at 10:17 AM.
    "illegitimis non carborundum"