Thread: G3 B&W is not working!

Unhappy G3 B&W is not working!

Hi,

First time poster so please go easy on me! G3 B&W dual drive 9 GB with 1 GB RAM, running OS 10.3.3. Inserted a zip disk the other day and the machine hung and has not been the same since. I even bought 2 new drives thinking that might be the problem and as I attempted to re-install the OS 10.3 the install hung as well.

Have tried various things like Tech Tools Pro and Disk Utility ( prior to installing new drives ) all hang and lock up at various points in the process.

When the gray screen comes up and the little wheel spins at the bottom of the screen, the little wheel turns into a vertical set of stripes and nothing happens. Extremely frustrating and a real bummer to say the least! The machine had been running OK prior to this, I must admit it is not used much since I have a G4 15" laptop and the G3 is being relegated to running an Imacon film scanner since it has a SCSI card the scanner likes.

Did an Open Firmware Reset which did not really help all that much. ANy suggestions/tips would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks,

Chris

First thing I'd try is removing the SCSI card and see if that helps. If it is still locking up, remove all upgrades and see if you can boot from the original cd with just the factory installed hardware. If you cant, then I would say you have a component failure in either the logic board or the proscessor.

otter

Default Ok

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. Just a couple of questions, when you say remove the SCSI card you, I assume, are referring to the Adaptec Ultra Wide card that the 2 drives are connected to. Really the only other upgrade is a second ATI Rage 128 video card to power a 2nd monitor.

The main man from the MacGuru suggested a possible issue with the RAM not being up to snuff. I have 4 of the 256 MB cards installed and they have never been a problem before. I know, never say never. He said that the seek time could be an issue with a G3 B&W relative to seek times of 8 ns vs 10 ns. ( nanoseconds )

I will give your suggestions a try. When do I sprinkle the chicken blood over the case and chant obscure incantations?

Seriously,

I appreciate any and all insight to this issue!

Chris

I have seen Adaptec cards cause problems before. SCSI can be wonderful when it works and a ************* (explitive deleted) when it doesn't.

If you take the unit down to factory specs, (nothing but original equipment), it will let you know if it is the memory or the SCSI card or the ATI video card.

If it boots fine as an original unit, I would go back and install the other items one at a time until the unit freezes.

Otter.

Need some more information.

Do you have the last drive terminated?
    Are there any Term Power jumpers installed?
    Do you have the drives set with different ID numbers between 0 and 6?
    Inspected the SCSI cable for bent, problem pins, cracked wires, bare wires, etc?

Does the computer boot fine to a CD?

Have you pulled the adaptec card and blown out the slot, inspected all the cable connections and re-seated the card?

Pull all the RAM and replaced the j19 module with one of the others. Leave the others out for now. That will replace the module that the system gets loaded on with one that is usually idle in low RAM usage times and at least do a little test of that particular module.

You can do an OPen Firmware reset anytime. I have had times that I had to do several before actually clearing a problem. Do one every time you change the hardware configuration since there are no downsides and doing them forces the system to reappraise all installed hardware..

That's a start.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Big Thanks for all the help!

Mr. Otterman,

Your suggestions were right on the mark. My second Rage ATI card was the source of all the bad MOJO! I would not have thought it to be such an integral component with regard to what was going wrong. I was able to duplicate the problem more than once so I know that it is definitely the card. Ironically enough, I really don't need it that much now that I am using a 23" HD with my laptop for Photoshop stuff.

With a little bit of patience these things really can work out! Thanks again!!

Chris