Thread: My Classic partition will not mount in OS X 10.2.8

Default My Classic partition will not mount in OS X 10.2.8

My machine (Powerbook G4 500) locked up, so I cold booted it.

Ever since,I cannot mount my Classic partition in OS X.
    I _can_ find the partition with the DiskUtility, verify and repair it; although it found no problems.
    I _can_ boot to it using the hotkeys.
    So, for all intents and purposes the partition is good, but whenever I try to mount it I get "/sbin/autodiskmount[264]: DiskVolume_mount_foreign: unrecognized return code from foreignMountDevice: -4 "

any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Default ...part II

I just found out that .dmg files and CDs are affected as well...not bothering to check DVDs

the .dmg file and the CD both gave the same error at my Classic partition

Default please bear with me...

I've been up all night sick, so I'm not thinking too clearly at thins point.

I realized that my problem was a documented problem once I couldn't load dmg and cds.
    I have verified and repaired permissions on the system drive and I have verified that the unknown user exists.

But, it still won't mount.

A freeze can mean corrupt disk directories. Time for Disk Warrior 3.02. Also, repairing permissions. Backup, erase if you have stuff not backed up. Seeing it is "only" Classic, it should be relatively easy to replace?

If you can boot into OS 9, I would delete ./Volumes from OS X root volume. As well as make sure there is AMPLE free space, and trash temp files and caches.

Eventually, do a clean install of OS X after backing up, or run the combo update 90MB to 10.2.8.

Or upgrade to 10.3.2 (the latest version I think that is on CD).

Quote Originally Posted by TZ
    A freeze can mean corrupt disk directories. Time for Disk Warrior 3.02.
    don't have it
    Also, repairing permissions. Backup, erase if you have stuff not backed up. Seeing it is "only" Classic, it should be relatively easy to replace?
    more tedious than difficult...a few things I'll need to burn off first.
    it just seems like that shouldn't be necessary, i'd like to know what specifically is wrong that can't be fixed w/o a complete reinstall.
    it would make sense to reinstall if the partition was totally unavailable.

If you can boot into OS 9, I would delete ./Volumes from OS X root volume. As well as make sure there is AMPLE free space, and trash temp files and caches.
    I'll reexamine the available space(the OS X partition have gigs of space, classic is getting thin, but I've never had problems until now...but (again, i'm just trying to understand the problem) I don't see how that could affect _mounting_ the partition...booting/loading classic, i could see lack of space causing problems. lack of space on the classic partition also should not affect loading CDs and .dmgs
    Eventually, do a clean install of OS X after backing up, or run the combo update 90MB to 10.2.8.
    I'm already at 10.2.8. I'd like to avoid a reinstall, if at all possible.

Or upgrade to 10.3.2 (the latest version I think that is on CD).
    not anytime soon, i'm afraid.

thanks for all the advice, I'll look into the things you mentioned

You may not have Disk Warrior, we strongly recommend anyone and everyone have it. Backup is the more important. Even the OS 9 versions 2.11 can fix problems nothing else would, including those like your own.

You most likely have a corrupt catalogue btree of the partition's directory. Even a corrupt partition map.

The rest is 'normal' stuff. 10.2.x is notorious for needing repair permissions frequently after every install.

What I delete is junk so that when a new directory (not desktop just to be clear) so that it will more likely not have cross-linked files or any problems. The more you know of the hidden directories and where trouble can begin, the better.

Edit: you don't mention if Classic was active. Was it? I prefer to use classic on a .dmg mounted image file, if you don't need to boot into Classic works fine.

Booting from OS 9.2.1 CD and run Disk First Aid; Jaguar CD, etc and if all is clean... I think you do have to reformat if you still have trouble.

If you search Apple support Knowledge Base on problems mounting there are some articles.

You may not have Disk Warrior, we strongly recommend anyone and everyone have it. Backup is the more important. Even the OS 9 versions 2.11 can fix problems nothing else would, including those like your own.

You most likely have a corrupt catalogue btree of the partition's directory. Even a corrupt partition map.
    there was some corruption od _the system partition_ (keys out of order) but booting from the install disk and using _that_ disk tool fixed it, even though classic and fsck couldn't.
    I have not been able to find any problems with the classic partition...when is why this is so frustrating.
    Edit: you don't mention if Classic was active. Was it? I prefer to use classic on a .dmg mounted image file, if you don't need to boot into Classic works fine.
    i wasn't running it when the problem started, no.
    and, since it resides on a partition that is inaccessible from OS X, i can't load it now.
    Booting from OS 9.2.1 CD and run Disk First Aid; Jaguar CD, etc and if all is clean... I think you do have to reformat if you still have trouble.

If you search Apple support Knowledge Base on problems mounting there are some articles.
    I've done everything suggested by the knowledge base... I was just hoping someone here might know something else I could try before I wipe this box clean.

No one is a "mind reader" able to guess what the solution is. there are basic steps and tools, and Disk Warrior is still #1 at getting at that volume. Seen it before, i recommend you order it - I think there is an electronic version and CD. Fixes volumes that won't mount etc.

If you can't see the volume in OS X, and it had OS 9 drivers, sounds like the partition map and classic driver. All of this is "sounds like" but its stood me well in 40+ yrs in IT.

Even Drive Setup 2.07/2.1 to update the drivers if you used DS to initialize can help.

Also, NO disk utility is PERFECT. It may repair and fix a volume or problem and say there aren't any problems found. That doesn't mean you can say with 200% confidence that it is. Which is why you can run DW and Norton and still have Speed Disk or TechTool Pro run into trouble. What does work, is after repairing a drive... backup when isn't and then clean the drive and restore. With OS X and fast, new drives, that doesn't take that long. I've been known, and seen others, waste hours and days trying to 'find out why" or look for a "quick fix" when the quickest and only reliable fix back to rock solid stability is what you want to avoid.

Carbon copy cloner isn't perfect. I'd recommend Apple Disk Utility, or Disk Copy to Restore. But 10.2 doesn't have DU Restore, 10.3 does. So in a sense, 10.3 is probably the BEST Disk Utility out there. And use journaling.

Default Disk Utility, fsck, journaling

>> there was some corruption od _the system partition_ (keys out of order) but booting from the install disk and using _that_ disk tool fixed it, even though classic and fsck couldn't.

... but that wasn't communicated when you asked.

and "even though classic couldn't"...

If anything, say what you mean. You booted into Mac OS 9. ?Ran Apple Disk First Aid.

You can't boot Classic, as "classic" is OS 9 under OS X. Yes, we can surmise and "guess" what you mean. People use terms and gradually apples become oranges.

fsck only works on the OS X startup volume unless you are real good at command line commands. In which case, you should be teaching others and wouldn't be asking. And under 10.2.x you SHOULD be running fsck ANY TIME you have a freeze.

Panther has a better filesystem, faster, and journaling support by default - an extension to HFS, now HFSX 5.0.

>> there was some corruption od _the system partition_ (keys out of order) but booting from the install disk and using _that_ disk tool fixed it, even though classic and fsck couldn't.

... but that wasn't communicated when you asked.

and "even though classic couldn't"...

If anything, say what you mean. You booted into Mac OS 9. ?Ran Apple Disk First Aid.

You can't boot Classic, as "classic" is OS 9 under OS X. Yes, we can surmise and "guess" what you mean. People use terms and gradually apples become oranges.

fsck only works on the OS X startup volume unless you are real good at command line commands. In which case, you should be teaching others and wouldn't be asking. And under 10.2.x you SHOULD be running fsck ANY TIME you have a freeze.

Panther has a better filesystem, faster, and journaling support by default - an extension to HFS, now HFSX 5.0.
    Sorry, it's been a long night.
    I didn't mention the corruption on the system disk at first b/c I didn't know it was there until much later.

As far as the other...I booted to OS 9 and used Disk First Aid, which found the corruption but couldn't fix it. Then, I booted to single user mode and ran fsck, but that also failed to fix it. Then, booted from the install CD and used _that_ disk utility, which claimed to fix the problems where the others simply gave an error (something to the effect of "cannot repair", no error number, etc)

Finally, while I am no guru, I am reasonably familiar with *nix and the command line tools, and how the filesystems basically work. And, I'm just not the type of person to just toss the entire install when there is a solution to the problem which can avoid a reinstall.
    That is, after all, one of the reasons I "switched" from MS in the first place.
    Complete re-installs of the OS should not be part or recommended regular maintainence.

Thanks for all of the good advice, though. I'll keep looking and checking back here if anyone has any more input.

As you know then, fsck has to be run multiple times, even when it says none found. But it doesn't check ALL volumes, only the one that is set in Startup Disk is checked. So I am not surprised it didn't do anything but Disk Utility on Jaguar did. Apple has improved Disk Utility up through 10.3.3+ so it might be good to have 10.3.2+ handy. Even if you don't use it.

I keep OS X on its own volume. I also keep multiple backups of that system. On another drive. On DVD even. And the .dmg image I made. So "reinstalling" is only a last resort. But it only takes 20 minutes to restore. I just need to boot from FireWire to erase/restore.

And if you feel adventurous you can reinstall the 10.2.8 Combo. So many times people run Software Update, install an update, system has problems, but not everyone, and sometimes it is from a dirty filesystem or errors.

Panther isn't perfect, but it does have a lot of bug fixes. That's Apple's method of fixing bugs though they have been listening to users that have been asking for Jaguar essential security updates and such.

If you can erase and restore just Classic, that would be great. If you have room for a mini-emergency OS X install there, that too. that is basically what MicroMat's TechTool Pro 4.02 "eDrive" does, create a small 4GB emergency partition that is accessed with the Option key and StartupManager, and otherwise the volume is hidden (it pops up momentarily on bootup but then hides). Slow creating because it has to "make" a contiguous 4GB partition it inserts into main OS X volume (at the end) using some kind of pdisk utility command and it is copying to-from the same disk drive, which is also very slow.

Because the iPod is FireWire, it is also bootable and can have a system on it - expensive but handy.