Thread: Problems installing new HD

Exclamation Problems installing new HD

My primary hard drive died a horrible death and I've just installed a new Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 80GB ATA drive as a replacement. I've got Ultra ATA cables attached correctly and the hard drive configured for "cable select", but when I try to boot from the OSX cd, I initially get the startup image (grey Apple on white background) but don't get the "spinning wheel" and after a minute or so it tells me to restart the computer.

The cd is a copy (lost the original in a move) but I have booted from it before.

Any idea why this is happening?!? I've got a major deadline coming up and I'm stressing a bit, to say the least. As you can tell from my use of jargon, I'm a bit of a novice. Please help. Thanks.

If this is your Only HD in the computer look up on the HD website how to set it to MASTER or post the model no here and someone will help ya if needed.

Try it - someone may say that the Maxtor DiamondMax wants cable select and this might be true - I am not super familar with that drive. Most ATA/IDE puters/HDs work fine set as Master/Slavel.

thanks for the prompt reply. tried it - a little progress. now I'm getting the "spinning" sign, and I hear the drive spin up for a little bit, but the circle just spins forever and doesn't proceed past there. I let it go for 15 minutes, but it never got past the grey apple. any ideas?

What model G4 have you got? If it is anything other than a Mirrored Drive Door G4 then it will not support Cable Select and you'll need to switch that drive to Master.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Sounds right Ricks.

FWIW, this is *exactly* what happens if one replaces a drive in any G3 imac if the new drive is not set as Master. Throws people cause you can install X fine, and expect that cabling and jumpers config is right, but you cannot boot once the OS is installed. the good news if if you change to Master, everything is fine - no need to reinstall in my experience.

I expect older G4s are the same, although it might vary by drive brand?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Progress! (but still questions): I tried to boot up with DiskWarrior and it worked. Recognized the disc and all that. Awesome. However, when I tested the device, it said, "This hard drive does not respond to requests for built-in S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics information" - but I'm guessing/hoping this is just because this disc isn't formatted yet? Or could this be an issue?

I guess this maybe means that my OSX disc (the copy) is no good? Perhaps it's not bootable, even though I'm pretty sure I've booted from it before (although I wouldn't swear to it - I have a seven-month-old and I'm losing my mind!)?

If this is the case, what recourse do I have other than re-purchasing OSX?

Y'all are awesome. Thanks in advance.

Forgot my info:

PowerMac G4 Dual 500 (hence the cable select issue)

Trying to install OSX 10.2

It's looking more and more like the problem IS the disc. I believe I have a backup OSX on an external drive. Is there a way to access it?

There sure should be... post a little more info about the setup of the external drive ie. FW, SCSI, ATA, SATA, Other... etc.

Could it easily be moved internal? Might be more work depending on how it is setup now.

cool. it's a FireWire drive (Maxtor 250GB) that cannot be moved internal.

Thumbs up

What OS is on it? Can you plug it in and then does the ASP Apple System Profiler see it? Try booting from it?

Same OS (10.2). I plugged it in and started up, but got stuck on the startup screen again. Don't know why it's not finding it? Does it need a prompt? How can I force it to boot from an external drive, or should it just find the OS wherever it is?

Tried it again and got the flashing folder/"?".

Try holding the Option key down while booting. This will give you a selection widow to choose all available OS installs. It takes a while to search all the available disk space so you gotta have patience.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

So I went into Startup Manager, but it couldn't find an OS on my external drives. Man, I really thought one was on there. Oh, well. Also tried to boot the OSX cd from there, with no luck again. Guess I'm back to square one - fork out the cash for a new OS! Bummer, but better than nothing I guess.

Thanks so much for your help.