Thread: Open Firmware weirdness

Default Open Firmware weirdness

I've recently had some weirdness with my machine when attempting to back up with Retrospect 6 under OS X 10.3.3 to USB 2-based Zip Drive. I've tried zapping pram with no luck. I've now reset open firm ware. when I go into open firm ware, I am getting a message saying bad Bus data CRC-16, then get the open firm ware banner right below it and the 0> prompt. I've removed all third party devices from the machine, save the Giga Designs CPU (I no longer had the G4 450 that shipped with this unit) and the ATI Radeon 32 mb card. I've also shut down the machine, removed the battery and reset the PMU. When I boot Open firm ware, I'm still getting the same error message. I have narrowed this down to an issue with the usb cards that I have tried. I've recently purchased an ADS USB 2.0 4 port card to replace a Compusa generic card that was based on an ALI chipset (I'm not a great ALI fan, since I've been burned by ALI based Wintel motherboards in the past.) This ADS card is based on an NEC chipset. I have never seen this error message in the past with the ALI based card. I have also a Belkin F5U219 board (that is meant for a PC) that is also using the NEC chipset, which gives me the same error message. If I remove the card, pull the battery, reset the pmu, leave the system down for at least an hour, replace the battery, and boot into open firmware, the error no longer appears. If I power down and reinsert either card (regardless whether I insert the ALI or the NECbased cards), then boot to open firmware, the error may or may not reappear. However, if I connect the Zip to the card (or any usb devices, for that matter) and reboot back to open fimware, the error will reappear.Otherwise, the machine boots without issue. Any Idea what's going on?

... shop for a better USB2 card (Sonnet, Adaptec come to mind, but make sure Dantz supports it!) and move from USB2 (which is better on PCs than Macs I hear) and try FireWire. the drives are just ATA drives, but USB isn't my idea of a storage interface. FW800, yes. SCSI. SATA-II eventually.

'Gurus Store has good cases that come with higher quality cable which is why the kits are $93.

Default re: Open Firmware Wierdness

I think I have resolved the issue. Turns out the SmartDisk 24x Firewire Burner I had connected was trying to pull more power from the bus than what was available. I pulled everything except the Radeon and the CPU out of the machine this morning. I left everything down for 20 minutes, then powered up with the battery out. No error message when I booted to Open Firmware. I shut down, then connected the CD-RW drive. I immediately got hit with the bad Bus data error. I shut the machine down and removed the drive from the firewire port. The error did not reappear. I tried with a different Firewire cable connected to this drive. The error returned. I shut down again and removed the drive. The error disappeared. I hooked only the Firewire cable to the computer and rebooted into open firmware. No error message appeared. Repeated the same step with a different cable. No error message. I replaced each component individually. No error message appears. As soon as I connect the SmartDisk CD-RW, the error reappears. As I don't have any other Firewire devices at this point. I am unable to test further if it actually the drive pulling more power than available or if there is a problem with the firewire bus. Once I get money, I'm going to purcahse a power supply for this drive and see if that does not resolve the issue.